Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

replaced battery

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced battery

Replace battery tonight, tech. brought wrong battery out and tried to connect it, of course it sparked and the comment was made, it must be the wrong battery, well he was correct, installed new battery and car started and ran, but the radio don't work and there are some warning lights on now. Such as low coolant, windshield wiper fluid and something else. A/C works fine, all lights work, everything else seems to be ok. Anyone that can help I would appreciate it. Thank You

Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: replaced battery

Assuming it was a good 12 volt battery, and by wrong, it was the wrong amperage for your car to draw on to start, I'm not sure how it generated all of those engine indicators.

Mayby it was bad, in the sense it had a bad cell, putting out an incorrect voltage, causing a bunch of CEL Codes to set.

(Is it possible that the Tech hooked up the Battery backwards....!!!!!)

It might just be a matter of resetting any codes, and see if they reappear.

Not sure if Autozone or Advanced will reset codes, you might need the Dealer, or find a friend with a Code Reader that can also provide a reset.

I know when I disconnect my Battery to perfom some work, when I reconnect, sometimes I'll get a little arcing at the post, but it never throws any Codes, or Engine lights...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 08-01-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Thank You, what happen was he brought the wrong battery out, the post was turned wrong, so he connected the hot lead to the negative side and then tried to connect the wrong lead to the hot side and thats when it sparked, of course he realized the mistake and went and got the right battery and then connected it correctly. So i will try to have them reset everything. Anyone else? Thank You for your advice in advance.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 PM

Also that does not explain the radio not working, I thought maybe fuses or relays where blown but I could not find any. Unless I have missed some. Thank You.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 AM
PNA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wstacyok
Also that does not explain the radio not working, I thought maybe fuses or relays where blown but I could not find any. Unless I have missed some. Thank You.
It could have blown the fuse in the back of the radio. When you pull the radio out, there is a 10 fuse plugged in the back of it. It's possible that occurred. You should have then use the radio removal tools, pull out the radio and check that fuse as well.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If some $7.75/hour moron can't tell RED from BLACK his employer should be paying for damages. Considering the fragility of the electrical system in these cars, I'd be looking very closely at what all is broken.

And I apologize to ANYONE who is making $7.75 and is NOT a moron.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: replaced battery

REVERSED POLARITY IS SERIOUS. Check it carefully,Woody

Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reversed polarity on a Battery hook up, this could be a real PITA.

I would check all fuses (passenger side engine compartment, and the box under the dash inside the car).

If your not sure about fuses visually, then pull the fuse and check with an ohm meter.

Then check for set Codes and Reset if any found.

Your now in a position to see if any Codes set a new, and trouble shoot according to what you see.

$hit happens, so don't kill the Techy just yet, but I would find a new place to get my Car serviced...

*** You can also disconnect one lead of the battery, let the Car sit for about 10 minutes, then reconnect. If the stars are aligned and the Gods with you, maybe things will reset to normal and your home free...

Last edited by Kodebuster; 08-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.