Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Good Battery but won't turnover

Old 02-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Battery but won't turnover

Need help

If my crossfire sits for more then a couple of hours it wont start

Went out to go to work and my car had a dead battery. When you turn the the key it will click,but will not turn over. I got a jump start and drove to work fine. When I left work same problem. I took it to Autozone were I bought the battery to have it checked out. The Tech hook it up and everything checked out fine.

Voltage: 12.8
Cranking Amps : 688
Battery rated At:770

Starter Test: Results "No Problem" Cranking Normal
Voltage:11.06v
Amps;223.9A
Time: 953ms

Charging Test: Results "No Problems"
No Load: 13.23v/8.3a
Loaded: 14.13v/3.8a

Drain Test: Results Passed
0.58a

Went home and went to bed , went to go to work and same problem. I hooked it up to my Battery Jumper/Charger to jumped car and it started right up. I took the Charger to work and let it charges the whole 8 hours at work. The charger display said it was 75% charged when I hooked it up and after the 8 hours said 100% charged. I unhooked it and went to start car and same problem / clicking but no turn over. I hooked the charger back up and put it in jump mode and let it set for a minute and the car started right up. Anybody have any idea what going on or what might be the problem

Thanks For any help
Sive

Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Default Re: Good Battery but wont turnover

Well You Can Take The Positive Cable Off And Put Amp Meter And Volt Meter To Find Out If You Have A Draw Down Problem.

Good Luck

Ps

Make Sure The Switch For The Air Recirculation/rest Is Not Shorted

Page 109 Owners Book

Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Administrator
Received 965 Likes on 752 Posts

One of two things is wrong here.

1) You need a new battery. The battery is bad. You have had the battery "tested" but you made a mistake - TESTING a battery does not FIX a BAD BATTERY. Replace the battery! Do it NOW and STOP being a wussie!

or

2) SOMETHING is drawing the battery down while the car is off. Insert an ammeter in line with the battery (does not matter, positive or negative side) and see what current you have flowing.

You should see well under 1/2 amp of draw. In fact, it should be less than .1 amp draw - most cheap meters won't be able to even measure the draw! Tell you what, if you can insert a tail light bulb in series between the battery and the + or - cable, if the light lights up, you have considerable draw!

But my money is on the battery - and I don't care what the "Test" shows.

How old is this "good" battery?

Old 02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
One of two things is wrong here.

1) You need a new battery. The battery is bad. You have had the battery "tested" but you made a mistake - TESTING a battery does not FIX a BAD BATTERY. Replace the battery! Do it NOW and STOP being a wussie!

or

2) SOMETHING is drawing the battery down while the car is off. Insert an ammeter in line with the battery (does not matter, positive or negative side) and see what current you have flowing.

You should see well under 1/2 amp of draw. In fact, it should be less than .1 amp draw - most cheap meters won't be able to even measure the draw! Tell you what, if you can insert a tail light bulb in series between the battery and the + or - cable, if the light lights up, you have considerable draw!

But my money is on the battery - and I don't care what the "Test" shows.

How old is this "good" battery?
Yea, Exactly what the Pizza Guy said. My original battery tested fine but my spoiler would go up when I started the car. The guys on here told me my battery was bad and I found that hard to believe but they were right. If you have an original battery it is due for replacement.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Default Re: Good Battery but won't turnover

UPDATE

OK Some times you should try the easiest fix first

Cleaned the Negative brass battery post and cable and seems to have fixed the problem

Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Good Battery but won't turnover

That is good news.... but if you are still running on an original battery that is 4 or more years old, you better start looking for a replacement.... you can get all kinds of odd problems if it starts going on you... unfortunately, they dont just quit for a Crossfire.... and our car dosent like them wishy washy batteries...