Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

My car only starts when it wants help!!!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car only starts when it wants help!!!

I have a 2005 Crossfire Roadster 6 speed. It will not start . I never know if it will start or not. I've spent $3000 lately and still does the same thing. Power control module has been replaced, the main computer has been replaced, the DAS system is supposed to have been tested. The Chrysler dealers are at a loss, the Mercedes delaer is stumped....
Does anyone have a idea..or the email to Chrysler engeneering..can't get help from« my local dealer....he wants more and more of my money...
Please help.....

Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My car only starts when it wants Help!!!

Can you give specific details on mileage, the symptoms before having any parts replaced and part numbers of the items replaced (off your invoices).
This info will help in the diagnosis.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:55 PM

More info than "it doesn't start" would be extremely helpful.

Have you replaced your CPS? Do you notice a pattern with the car being harder to start/restart when it's hot? When the car runs, does it run well?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html is definitely the first place I'd look, followed by the CAS if you haven't replaced it yet.

Won't be more than a few bucks to check both of these - the CPS is sub-$100, and RCM is free if you know how to solder at all. Both are very easy - the CPS is just a simple one-bolt remove and re-install and the RCM just slides out.

Last edited by bri3d; 12-26-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bri3d
More info than "it doesn't start" would be extremely helpful.

Have you replaced your CAS? Do you notice a pattern with the car being harder to start/restart when it's hot? When the car runs, does it run well?

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-no-start.html is definitely the first place I'd look, followed by the CAS if you haven't replaced it yet.

Won't be more than a few bucks to check both of these - the CAS is sub-$100, and RCM is free if you know how to solder at all. Both are very easy - the CAS is just a simple one-bolt remove and re-install and the RCM just slides out.
Ok, a CAS is new to me. What exactly is a CAS? Did you possibly mean a CPS (crankshaft position sensor)

Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
Ok, a CAS is new to me. What exactly is a CAS? Did you possibly mean a CPS (crankshaft position sensor)
Sorry - I'm used to the equivalent part being called a Crankshaft Angle Sensor (CAS), but you're 100% right - I stand corrected, thanks. Updating my post now, to avoid any confusion

Old 12-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by bri3d
Sorry - I'm used to the equivalent part being called a Crankshaft Angle Sensor (CAS), but you're 100% right - I stand corrected, thanks. Updating my post now, to avoid any confusion
He used the term DAS not CAS.
Does he mean Star DAS?
My car does not start is hard to diagnose, that's like telling your doctor I'm not feeling well.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 AM

This is a persistant problem for over a year: When I turn the key to start position the starter does not engage. I have power to everything but. No voltage is going to the starter.
I'm in Nova SCotia Canada but the car is originaly from the US, it has 33203 miles on the odometer. The car has been to the local Chrysler dealer who had never worked on one before, to a Halifax dealer they had seen three, and finally to the Halifax mercedes dealer, a 30 year vetran familar with the electrinics... but still the car will not turn over.
Any help would be appreciated.
Parts Replaced by dealers so far:

Crank Position sensor
Power Control Relay
Main Computer
The wiring system is supposed to have been checked
The Driver authorization system has supposedly been checked and found to be correct ( I have lost faith)
I have the same two keys that came with the car.
There is power to all other accessories when the key is turned except the starter.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

A lot of typical "no start" causing parts have already replaced. There was someone else here not long ago that had similar issues all caused by a bad ground connection or corroded ground strap. I would start there.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by lonebuilder
This is a persistant problem for over a year: When I turn the key to start position the starter does not engage. I have power to everything but. No voltage is going to the starter.
I'm in Nova SCotia Canada but the car is originaly from the US, it has 33203 miles on the odometer. The car has been to the local Chrysler dealer who had never worked on one before, to a Halifax dealer they had seen three, and finally to the Halifax mercedes dealer, a 30 year vetran familar with the electrinics... but still the car will not turn over.
Any help would be appreciated.
Parts Replaced by dealers so far:

Crank Position sensor
Power Control Relay
Main Computer
The wiring system is supposed to have been checked
The Driver authorization system has supposedly been checked and found to be correct ( I have lost faith)
I have the same two keys that came with the car.
There is power to all other accessories when the key is turned except the starter.
Strange as it may sound a common cause of this is a poor ground, the contact is poor so the full voltage does not get across the connection, at other times the fulll voltage gets across.
One problem was found to be the battery cables themselves, corrosion had occured inside the insulation eating away the copper wire.
We had a similar problem on this forum last week, try and check out all the grounds, not just the obvious ones.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post552550 (see post number seven, poor ground)

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-27-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM

Thanks I'll« start hunting down grounds tomorrow...Anyone have an idea of how many I would be looking for.

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Strange as it may sound a common cause of this is a poor ground, the contact is poor so the full voltage does not get across the connection, at other times the fulll voltage gets across.
One problem was found to be the battery cables themselves, corrosion had occured inside the insulation eating away the copper wire.
We had a similar problem on this forum last week, try and check out all the grounds, not just the obvious ones.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post552550 (see post number seven, poor ground)

Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Hi again after reading all the post I remember that the radiator fan does start as soon as I turn the key and will not stop even though the car is cold. Also it never stall out, runs great when it starts.....if I can get it started I just can't turn it off and expect it to start again....

Old 12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I did not see where you changed the battery in all the things done. Batteries do weird things on these cars. If you still have the original battery, I would start with the battery and the battery ground cable, and go from there. Also, the symptoms sound a lot like a faulty RCM. I know that you said that the RCM was replaced, but that does not really mean anything, as the new RCM could have the faulty solder joints as well. Read the thread on the faulty RCM posted earlier, and check it out. Use a magnifying glass to check the solder joints, as they may not be easily visible with the naked eye.

Good luck, and keep us informed with your progress.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular

Was there or has there been a lot of corrosion on the negative battery cable ? the main one conected to the battery, if so the corrosion defitely can cause conections/voltage troubles inside the cable which you cant always see how bad it is corroded and causing problems in the starting system, and also really check your RCM board for bad solder joints, you could do an exchage with member tighed1 as a possible fix just to be sure. Good luck in tracing your problem or problems, keep us updated.