Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Filter O-ring failure leading to Serp belt failure

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Filter O-ring failure leading to Serp belt failure

Advanced Autoparts sells Mann filters under the Purolator name. Each store stocks 2 of them complete with 5 "O" rings (about $12 ea). They are genuine Mann filters made in Germany-stamped on top of the filter. Part number is L25277. 100% on this as I just came in from changing the oil not 30 minutes ago and I am staring at the used filter box.

Three things to note: 1) make sure you push the filter all the way down on the oil stick/cap until only 1 black line is visible-this is easier to do if you put a coating of oil on the "O" rings. 2) Replace all of the "O" rings (4) each time you change the oil and filter, making sure that the largest "O" ring is in the groove below the cap NOT directly under the lip of the cap - as previously mentioned. 3) My oil filter cap/stick, whatever you call it is always replaced hand tight. Mine stops turning at a certain point - when the treads bottom out. It is tight, don't get me wrong, but I have never used a wrench on it to put it on or take it off. Maybe the KungFu grip is kicking in! HAHA! I have 40K miles on the car and knock on wood haven't had any leaks.

One other word of caution: I have had the oil dip stick pop out on me, but I was never sure if I just didn't push it in all the way or if it started to push out. That can make a big mess if it comes out far enough while you are hammering on the car. Make sure it is properly seated and if it is loose, put a zip tie on it, just in case.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your mess. Like others have said, SimpleGreen is a good degreaser. Follow-up with some HyperLube from Meguiers to give your engine bay that like-new appearance and to keep your hoses from drying out and looking like crap. Keep it off your new belt.

KrzyFast

Old 12-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost lost it when I read this. Wasn't thing happened to me with the same filter, but it was around 5500 miles and I assumed the filter got sludgy and it leaked through the ring... Still no reason an o ring should stop sealing but kinda made some sense. I was driving down the road and the battery light came on. I turned the wheel and thought to myself does his thing really have electric assist steering, why is it still running then, and then I thought nope theres a ps pump under there. So I pulled over popped the hood and lo and behold there's my belt, just hang in out on that plastic oil pan cover. I found myself driving home rather quickly.

I've had at least 4 different oil filters since I got the car and funny enough the non bosch ones never did this... Best luck with napa haha

Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Had a similar O ring failure with a Bosch filter which caused the belt to slip off. Its a pain to get all the oil cleaned up !!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanks guys for the info. My belt came off on the way to work this morning. I had recently changed the oil and filter (Mann). It looks like oil is coming out from around the filter area. At first I thought I might have seized the steering pump. I am hoping it is only the o-ring on the filter assembly. A lot less expensive to fix.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seat the filter, get hte "O" rings installed properly, clean with a lot of ' SIMPLE GREEN", should solve the problem. Could have cracked cap on filter too?

Old 07-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

Guys make sure you're putting the large o-ring in the correct groove. It doesn't go right up against the flange. There's a groove about an 1/8" down from the flange/lip of the housing (right above the threads)—that's where the large ring goes.

For those who have had their housing leak, was the o-ring bulging out of the top?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by msheredy
Guys make sure you're putting the large o-ring in the correct groove. It doesn't go right up against the flange. There's a groove about an 1/8" down from the flange/lip of the housing (right above the threads)—that's where the large ring goes.

For those who have had their housing leak, was the o-ring bulging out of the top?
Placement of large 'o' ring for oil filter

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
big o ring..jpg (63.0 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the additional input. I will try and check it out tonight. Do I need to drain any oil from the engine before I remove the filter assembly?

Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by dtinker
Seat the filter, get hte "O" rings installed properly, clean with a lot of ' SIMPLE GREEN", should solve the problem. Could have cracked cap on filter too?

if the cap is cracked does any one know what the part number is and where I can get a replacement.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Placement of large 'o' ring for oil filter
Exactly thanks for the pic, my brother-in-law had a friend of his help him with his first oil change, why he didn't ask me I don't know . They installed the o-ring right at the top next to the flange and didn't tighten it enough. O-ring popped out a bit and sprayed oil all over everything. I ended up redoing it for him after we discovered that.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM

Okay, I had a chance to look at my car today. Quess what? Part of the o-ring was sticking out from under the cap. Should I try to re-use the belt or get a new one? Also can someone post further info on how to relieve the tension on the belt tensioner so I can put a belt back on.

Thanks again for everyones help. Sure glad it wasn't any thing more serious. Now hopefully I can drive it to the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
For what it's worth, I've been compiling an all-inclusive list of all of the stuff we need to know about our cars. here's a bit:

Oil filter oring sizes (All Viton)
3" ID X .139" (1/8") AS-234
22 mm ID X 3 mm
17 mm ID X 3 mm
10 mm X 2.5 mm

I don't know how they figured out the size for the large o ring for the cap seal, but it is not a standard metric size. It is an ASA (US spec) size, hence the AS-234).
I talked to a guy at Parker Seal Division today. He is going to send me some of the 3" ID X .139" (1/8") AS-234 seals to try. I will let you guys know how it works out.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The belt tensioner is dealt with in the 2004 Service Manual in section 7, page 45.
You need a 5mm (3/16") diameter locking pin, it shows the cast in hex head to use as a leverage spot. Others use another spot to lever on as the cast hex head tends to round over quickly, but maybe they are not using a metric wrench or socket.

DRIVE BELT

REMOVAL

1. Rotate the belt tensioner (1) with a wrench and lock in
place with a 5mm pin (2) or drift.
2. Remove the accessory drive belt from the pulleys.
3. Inspect the accessory drive belt. Refer to damage patterns.

Refer to Page 7-45
4. Inspect the pulleys for wear or damage.

5. Replace the accessory drive belt or pulleys as required.

Are there any pictures of the tensioner and how you totate the tensioner. I need to install a belt on mine.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, sorry you had to go through all of that. I use the Mann filters from Advance auto and always put a thin coating of fresh oil on all the O rings before installation. Good luck with everything.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I have used this stuff for 30 years now at my work. I wouldn't put an oring on without it.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Wow, sorry you had to go through all of that. I use the Mann filters from Advance auto and always put a thin coating of fresh oil on all the O rings before installation. Good luck with everything.
I also use the Mann filters. This is the first time it's happened!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:45 AM

Parker makes good "O" ring lube and "O" rings too. They do lots of researsch to find and test the best materials for different applications.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:32 PM

The belt tensioner is dealt with in the 2004 Service Manual in section 7, page 45.
You need a 5mm (3/16") diameter locking pin, it shows the cast in hex head to use as a leverage spot. Others use another spot to lever on as the cast hex head tends to round over quickly, but maybe they are not using a metric wrench or socket.

DRIVE BELT

REMOVAL

1. Rotate the belt tensioner (1) with a wrench and lock in
place with a 5mm pin (2) or drift.
2. Remove the accessory drive belt from the pulleys.
3. Inspect the accessory drive belt. Refer to damage patterns.

Refer to Page 7-45

4. Inspect the pulleys for wear or damage.

5. Replace the accessory drive belt or pulleys as required.

I have an 06 Limited. Does any one know what I use in the hole in the center of the tensioner pully to be able to rotate it so I can install my new belt. It looks like it is a hex of some type. What would be the correct size. Would appreciate any help

Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by fyrepower
I have an 06 Limited. Does any one know what I use in the hole in the center of the tensioner pully to be able to rotate it so I can install my new belt. It looks like it is a hex of some type. What would be the correct size. Would appreciate any help
The hex socket size required is 17 mm and the pin to lock the tensioner in place while removing and installing the belt is 5 mm - 3/16" will do.
They say clockwise to relieve tension, I think it is anti-clockwise.

Be careful not to pinch your fingers, this could be hazardous to the unwary. So use the pin and keep your fingers clear.

See also; https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post610912

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-29-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 AM

The hex socket size required is 17 mm and the pin to lock the tensioner in place while removing and installing the belt is 5 mm - 3/16" will do.
They say clockwise to relieve tension, I think it is anti-clockwise.

Be careful not to pinch your fingers, this could be hazardous to the unwary. So use the pin and keep your fingers clear.

thanks, so is it the lower bolt that is shown just below the bi-directional arrow?

Quick Reply: Filter O-ring failure leading to Serp belt failure