Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Problems With Starting the SRT, Battery Related?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems With Starting the SRT, Battery Related?

So I was fortunate enough to be involved in a hit and run the other day. Long story short, the car got to sit around for a week or so without being driven. Finally when going to start it up to take it to the collision repair place, I found that my battery was dead.... Sooo I got it jumped, no biggie, and took it to autozone to see if my battery was bad... And he said it was....

So i changed it to a Duralast bought from them. Here is the bad part.... I had noticed corrosion on the negative terminal/battery, so i cleaned it up.. and then put the terminals back onto the battery... andddd CLICK CLICK CLICK! the car wouldnt even pretend to try to turnover.. And the lights were noticeable flickering... After a little adjustment, the lights stabilized, but still clicking and no starting.... Soooo I jumped it, drove around with no problems for 20 min.. stopped.... turned it off.. tried to restart it.... and all i got was more CLICKING!....

Does anyone have any idea what is going on!?!?!?! The terminals are secured firmly on the battery, the car's elextricity seems to be working (radio, interior lights)...

Thanks,

Kolme

Old 09-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Problems With Starting the SRT, Battery Related?

Yep, it's time to replace your battery:. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-battery.html

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
Yep, it's time to replace your battery:. https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...r-battery.html
=( Read the whole post, I bought and installed a Duralast... and that is where the problem started...

Thanks!

Kolme

Old 09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolme
=( Read the whole post, I bought and installed a Duralast... and that is where the problem started...

Thanks!

Kolme
Did you clean up the corrosion on the terminals? dip them in baking soda mixed with water. They will come up like new, get rid of all the corrosion.
Check the battery ground as well and make sure the battery is getting charged.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check your cables to make sure it did not corrode to much and break any of the wires inside the cables causing a poor connection and not allowing enough current flow, you could also through a charger on it over night, cause it could be low on charge, make sure your alternator is charging, I would also check the battery again just because its new does not mean its good, I have seen new batteries be bad right off the shelf.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Well, I read your whol post and noticed a comment that might be pertinent.
You were in a hit and run accident?

UH.......... I would suggest a wire somewhere is grounding to the frame. It could be anything and the smaller the better as it wouldn't blow a fuse.

It could be a corroded positive cable that has insulator damage. Or, more likely the ground cable as 180 suggested. It may now be loose at the motor pin.

How bad was the "accident" and where was the damage?

franc

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 09-11-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STOP JUMP STARTING THIS CAR!!!!! the electrics on these cars are extremely finicky and they dont like the spikes associated with jump starting. this is a good way to fry the ecu if you keep doing this

Old 09-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
Well, I read your whol post and noticed a comment that might be pertinent.
You were in a hit and run accident?

UH.......... I would suggest a wire somewhere is grounding to the frame. It could be anything and the smaller the better as it wouldn't blow a fuse.

It could be a corroded positive cable that has insulator damage. Or, more likely the ground cable as 180 suggested. It may now be loose at the motor pin.

How bad was the "accident" and where was the damage?

franc

The accident was on the drivers side and was not that bad, est at about 1.5k to fix, nowhere near the battery area...

Well Ill try to replace that ground cable to make sure im getting a good connection, and prob take it to autozone to see what they say if that doesnt work.... But I think Krazy prob has a good point, so if they doesnt work.... *Inhales Deeply*.... I guess ill take it to Chrysler....

This is deff. the wierdest battery problem I have ever had by the way! How on earth can a battery swap cause all this! (Everything worked great before the change! minus a dead battery after it sat around for a week or 2)

Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Forum Regular

!!! Got the SRT6 back yesterday with the battery problem still persiting, replaced the entire ground terminal connector andddd ta-da! fixed.. It must have been ridiculously corroded... Thanks guys!

Kolme

Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolme
!!! Got the SRT6 back yesterday with the battery problem still persiting, replaced the entire ground terminal connector andddd ta-da! fixed.. It must have been ridiculously corroded... Thanks guys!

Kolme
these little cars are very voltage sensitive....so, keep things clean...the resistance caused by corrosion, or loose connections will cause you problems...dang puters....