Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Brake light issue

Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light issue

Hello all,
I have an 07 that the brake lights have stopped working. I still have tail lights, blinkers and reverse lights. The fuse isnt blown nor are the bulbs bad. I took the lower panel off, beneath the drivers side dash, in hopes to find a brake light switch and could find it. Can anyone tell me where to look, there looks to be 3 differnt sensors on the brake chamber. Or am i missing something? I appreciate any and all help.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake light issue

The brake light switch is part of the brake booster according to the manual, in sec 8L pages 90 & 91, go to the SRT section and download the service manual, this will help you in hopefully locating your problem. I have not heard of anyone yet having to replace the power brake booster for brake light failure, but seem to recall some problems with brake lights not working properly, you may also want to use the search feature for any related problems with brake lights inop.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you check fuse # 2 that's located in the fuse box that's on the side of the driver's side dash board?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by dkendall
Hello all,
I have an 07 that the brake lights have stopped working. I still have tail lights, blinkers and reverse lights. The fuse isnt blown nor are the bulbs bad. I took the lower panel off, beneath the drivers side dash, in hopes to find a brake light switch and could find it. Can anyone tell me where to look, there looks to be 3 differnt sensors on the brake chamber. Or am i missing something? I appreciate any and all help.
I bet you have a lose fuse, put a peace of gum foil in the fuse box to make it tight.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 AM

Ok, So I may a trip to the Dealer and after running my vin#, comes back with a 34 dollar brake light switch, and print off a picture showing its location. So once again I remove the panel below the steering wheel and start looking around, thinking I could have missed it the last tim, but now with the new part in hand how could I not see it? We'll easy enough i clearly find the mounting location, but there is no switch there! I was thinking maybe the old one fell out, but no wires no nothing! Someone mentioned mine could be on the brake booster itself? My brake booster has 3 different sesnors on it? Does this seem right?

Frustrated in Dallas.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by dkendall
Ok, So I may a trip to the Dealer and after running my vin#, comes back with a 34 dollar brake light switch, and print off a picture showing its location. So once again I remove the panel below the steering wheel and start looking around, thinking I could have missed it the last tim, but now with the new part in hand how could I not see it? We'll easy enough i clearly find the mounting location, but there is no switch there! I was thinking maybe the old one fell out, but no wires no nothing! Someone mentioned mine could be on the brake booster itself? My brake booster has 3 different sesnors on it? Does this seem right?

Frustrated in Dallas.
BRAKE LAMP SWITCH DESCRIPTION
The plunger type brake lamp switch is mounted to a bracket attached to the brake pedal assembly under the instrument panel. The brake lamp switch cannot be adjusted or repaired. If faulty, worn, or damaged, the entire unit must be replaced.
OPERATION
The brake lamp switch has three internal switches with a single, six blade harness connection at one end. When the brake pedal is in the released position, the plunger on the outside of the brake lamp switch is forced inward, which opens the circuit. When the brake pedal is pressed the plunger is released, and the circuit is closed. This action completes the brake lamp circuit, and allows the brake lamps and center high mounted brake lamp to illuminate.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the lower instrument panel cover.
Refer to Page 23-149
3. Disconnect the brake lamp switch harness connectors.
4. Press the locking tab and rotate the brake lamp switch clockwise.

5. Remove the brake lamp switch from the brake pedal brace.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-19-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM

Ok....I now repplaced the relay, guess I should have done that before, and all is good. Im taking that 34 dollar brake switch back. Thanks for everyones help.