Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

LED tail lights

Old 06-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:evil: i did it and got my bulbs @autuolumination its was awsome and this weekend i installed a hid low beam system wow the car is beautiful

Old 06-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: few things

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
I did this mod and it works great so everyone should really listen up to what I have to say. I made the mistakes for you, and I'm not making **** up.
Okay, then EXACTLY which part # matrix bulbs did you buy?

Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by protectmax
:evil: i did it and got my bulbs @autuolumination its was awsome and this weekend i installed a hid low beam system wow the car is beautiful
Exactly which part # matrix bulbs did you buy?

Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 PM

Initial results of putting Matrix white LED's in tail/brake light. Photos of tail light activated only (couldn't figure out how to push brake pedal and take picture at same time :roll: ). These bulbs required no modifications to fit into Crossfire harness.

http://home.comcast.net/~burnsdg/LEDvsSTOCK.pdf

According to email I just got from superlumination, "no LED's will produce as much total light output as incandescent bulbs". :?

I have not tried installing the yellow matrix bulbs for turn signals yet, since they require a pin being filed off in order to fit Crossfire harness.

Old 06-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns
According to email I just got from superlumination, "no LED's will produce as much total light output as incandescent bulbs". :?
I am returning all the bulbs. I'm not going to file off pins to just be dissatisfied with the yellow's too, and then not be able to return them.

Well...this experiment cost me a bit over $50 (with overnight shipping charges but they weren't shipped overnight, and a 20% restocking fee).

Look at the pic's I posted...the bulbs only go in one way so they can't be installed wrong. I can't see how the folks who claim they "work great" or are "awesome" can be thinking that?!?

Old 06-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Forum Regular
Default bulbs

I'm trying to help you guys out so relax.

I'm not saying anyone is lying when you say they didn't work well, or that you had to file a pin down. I believe you. But I also believe you must have gotten a different part # than mine. Again, I didn't file anything down, and the turn signals, which SeaXfire says work shitty, are BRIGHT AS HELL. My turn signals are EXTREMELY bright!

I did this mod a while ago, so getting the exact part #'s might be difficult. I am going to call the company right now and see if they can tell me exactly what I ordered.

Old 06-10-2004, 04:00 PM

I agree with David Burns.

I wasted over $50.

The part is the 24 LED Matrix bulb: http://autolumination.com/matrix.htm
There are only two part numbers available, 1156 and 1157.

The 1156 has only a single contact on the bottom.
The 1157 has two contacts on the bottom.

The 1157 is what is needed for the amber turn signals. It does not fit the socket on my Crossfire without filing down one of the side pins. They do not provide as much light or fill the lens with as much light as the stock bulbs.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by SeaXfire
The 1157 is what is needed for the amber turn signals.
1156 is the s/c bulb. Turn signal is s/c, not d/c. Or maybe that's my problem?!? Maybe I shoulda ordered 1157's for the turn signal instead of 1156's???

I tried the Amber 1156's in the backlight light location. The difference there was even more dramatic, more than can be attributed to the color difference between amber and white. In comparison, the side with the amber bulb might as well have not had a bulb in it.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Forum Regular
Default I spoke with autolumination

I spoke with them over there regarding exactly what I ordered.

Turns out I ordered both turn signals and brake lights as _1156_
There was no filing needed and it works fine.

Looking back, I think I did buy 1157 APC brand originally for the turn signals. At the same time I bought 1156 brake lights. I remember the brake lights fit right away but I didn't even go home with the 1157 turn signals because of that extra pin. I wasn't sure of the exact size bulb needed, and I thought I made a mistake. I believe they let me attempt to put them in at the shop, but it was months ago so my memory is fuzzy.

Anyway 1156's should work. Sorry if you guys don't like the mod - this is what it is... and in my opinion looks good. I actually compared my rear lights to another Crossfire, and you guys are right about the brake lights being less bright. However, the part that does light up is brighter, meaning the LED bulb looks very nice and brighter through the housing, even though the rest of the housing is lit up less. I think it looks sharp in my opinion, and I know there are other guys here that have done this mod and enjoyed it, and are not posting on this message board.

But then again, everyone has their own opinion.

HI-

You ordered the 1156 matrix 24led bulbs as shown here:

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

Thanks-

>
> From: "Bryan Fowlkes" <bfowlkes@maximgrp.com>
> Date: 2004/06/10 Thu PM 03:32:33 EDT
> To: <superlumination@***.net>
> Subject: I placed an order back in early March....
>
> I placed an order back in early March for some Matrix bulbs and they work great! However, is it possible you can tell me exactly what I ordered? My buddy has the same car and wants to order the same bulbs that I bought from you... Apparently theres some confusion between what it says the car needs and what actually works best... I actually went through several other LED bulbs from other companies before I found you guys...
>
> My name is Bryan Fowlkes..

Old 06-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Default Re: I spoke with autolumination

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
Turns out I ordered both turn signals and brake lights as _1156_
I don't get it dude. You put 1156 single contact bulbs in your tail/brake light location that requires dual contact bulbs, and you say it "works great"? How can that be? How are you getting both tail light and brake light working on a single contact bulb????

Old 06-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Forum Regular

Beats me but it works.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: LED tail lights

Bump Bump.

This Mod Is Awesome.

Just bumping it up so people can read about it.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Cool Re: LED tail lights

I MUST throw my hat into the ring!!!!!!
A Double contact bulb has one of the contacts that operates a lesser illumination circuit - THE TAILLIGHT and the other contact operates a DIFFERENT CIRCUIT in the bulb which is a brighter output - STOP LIGHT! (and Turn Signals in USA Cars)
There is no way a single contact bulb can accept two seperate inputs and distinguish between them to operate seperately/differently.
If, you do indeed have single contact bulbs in a double contact socket then the bulb would be very bright as a taillight and would NOT get any brighter when the brakes were applied since there would be only one circuit/brightness for the bulb to respond to.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: LED tail lights

I don't understand what your referring to? My LED taillights work absolutely fine. We even have an LED light bar above the rear window, so now my entire rear is LED. It's very clean.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Honorary -C-I-C-C-I Member
Thumbs up Re: LED tail lights

Glad to see you are all squared away.
Will be looking forward to
"Checkin' Ya Out" on the 22d!!