Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

American market headlamp switch wanted.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default American market headlamp switch wanted.

My Crossfire has Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's) as it is a Canadian Model. I have searched past threads on this subject and understand that if I want to do away with the DRL's and operate the headlamps manually, it is done my replacing the headlamp switch with an American model switch. Can folks on this forum confirm this? Are Crossifires sold in the USA without DRL's? Can someone provide the part number for the headlamp switch that does not activate DRL's?

I'm having a hard time nailing down what exactly is needed to modify my headlamps to manual operation only.

Any information shared would be appreciated. TIA

Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: American market headlamp switch wanted.

It's not in the headlight switch. It's programming that the dealer can do with a star/das scanner/programmer.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

It's programming that the dealer can do with a star/das scanner/programmer.
Yea, that's the other information I have come across as well and where the frustration lies. I can't seem to get a definative answer as to what's going on. I'll phone an American dealership (I'm only 90 minutes away from the border) and ask the service department.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonygg
Here is the goods. In order to get daytime running lights you have to replace the US light switch module. I imported my car into Canada from the US. So, I have as a spare the US light switch module which DOES NOT have daytime running lights. And yes you can have it for a small price. No lie I paid around $500 for mine up here in Canada. Send me a pm to discuss further.
Brian.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned
Default New Information

OK Folks, this is what I have found after phoning three different Chrysler dealerships in upstate New York. The first two dealerships agreed that it is likely nothing more then a firmware flash to the ECM (computer) but requires the DRBIII tool that they don't have. However, the second dealership referred me to yet another dealership that was "bigger and better". After calling Fuccillo Dodge they were more then helpfull in trying to get an answer for me which required me having to phone them back while they tried a few things. They had an '05 Crossfire on the lot and they brought it into the shop and did some tests. Nowhere in the menus of the scan tool did they find an option to turn off DRL's. But they didn't stop there, the service manager actually phoned Detroit and asked the technical folks for more help.
Apparently, according to Chrysler Detroit, DRL's on Canadian models cannot be turned off, and likewise, American models cannot turn them on. Period.
My question was then: So what is the difference between the two if that is the case? The answer was: They don't know.
IMO, this points to the lamp switch itself which others in the past have suggested is the only way to "modify" the Crossfire DRL's.

Last edited by user 8202; 06-24-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Default Re: New Information

You are correct tonygg. The actual switch gets replaced which is what I have if you want it.
brian.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by tonygg
My Crossfire has Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's) as it is a Canadian Model. I have searched past threads on this subject and understand that if I want to do away with the DRL's and operate the headlamps manually, it is done my replacing the headlamp switch with an American model switch. Can folks on this forum confirm this? Are Crossifires sold in the USA without DRL's? Can someone provide the part number for the headlamp switch that does not activate DRL's?

I'm having a hard time nailing down what exactly is needed to modify my headlamps to manual operation only.

Any information shared would be appreciated. TIA
The following post mentions this modification, it says manual transmissions need a new switch (US type)) and auto transmissions are altered by having the country code changed in the info stored on the computer. I see you have a stick, so you will need a new switch according to the following post.
Quote `My only cost at Canadian Tire, the RIV approved inspection site was to have the headlight module replaced with their generic module because the standard tranny comes with a U.S.A. headlight switch while the automatic comes with DRL. Cost parts and labout $243.00. On the automatic the Dealer just logs in and changes the country code.'
Crappy Tire seems to have the answer.

I would assume that changing the country code may do other things as well, for instance, instead of voting Tory you may try to vote Republican or feel the need to celebrate July the fourth instead of July the first etc.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post252065

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-25-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Banned

the RIV approved inspection site was to have the headlight module replaced with their generic module because the standard tranny comes with a U.S.A. headlight switch
Exactly, and that is what I am doing. However instead of a crappy tire module, I am going with the U.S. OEM part. I have already purchased the part and will install soon.

Glad to finally find out what needs to be done.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM

I just bought a 2005 roadster and imported to Ontario Canada, It is mandatory to have DRL in Canada ,I took to dealer to have them change the computer to switch it over, cost me $40. and they said it couldnt be done!! I need a Canadian module which is around $700 installed, yuk!! so if some one wants to trade me I have the US module. 519 583-2167

Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ontariobiker
I just bought a 2005 roadster and imported to Ontario Canada, It is mandatory to have DRL in Canada ,I took to dealer to have them change the computer to switch it over, cost me $40. and they said it couldnt be done!! I need a Canadian module which is around $700 installed, yuk!! so if some one wants to trade me I have the US module. 519 583-2167
Congrats on the car.
I bought my Cdn switch from Sevenview Chrysler for $432 and installed myself with guidance from local forum members here. Only took about an hour and a half.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

You can buy a module from Canadian Tire for $50 that you can hook up yourself or get them to hook it up.
It works and as long as you use it for the MOT test at Can Tire you are fine, you can then use it or lose it.
There are plenty of posts on this matter here.
I would not pay hundreds of dollars for a switch.
TonyGG says the DTRL's should be on the car but there is no law that says they have to work, except for the MOT test.
So the dealer charged you $40 just to say it could not be done, nice. I would have told you that for nothing and so would the other members here.
Ask before you do anything rash.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:01 AM

I just imported a 2005 limited into Canada and to pass RIV inspection you just have to have some lights on the front come on when they turn thew ignition Key. I found in the forums here that you can just run a wire with inline fuse from the fuse box at drives side and clip into the pink wire and your fog lights will come on when ignition key is turned and you can pass inspection.

I did this and my Crossfire is at Canadian Tire now getting RIV inspection - I pick it up tomorrow & should be able to register in Canada.

Steve

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire DRL%20bypass.jpg (133.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the help, the dealership indicated they could change the code and mislead me thus $40 charge, the service mng is a family friend and she didnt know either and know she felt bad too so I didnt go further, not about the money but they should know their stuff before charging someone for a service they coulnt perform. I like the idea of wiring the fog lights into ignition, some thing I have thought about and would like a little more detail. w/thanks Ross

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the help, the dealership indicated they could change the code and mislead me thus $40 charge, the service mng is a family friend and she didnt know either and know she felt bad too so I didnt go further, not about the money but they should know their stuff before charging someone for a service they coulnt perform. I like the idea of wiring the fog lights into ignition, some thing I have thought about and would like a little more detail. w/thanks Ross
What other details would you like regarding wiring up the Fogs as DRL's?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Not sure what panel of fuses ? under the hood or beside the interior light switch? how did you hook into the fuse panel ?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Not sure what panel of fuses ? under the hood or beside the interior light switch? how did you hook into the fuse panel ?
Fuse panel is in the side of the dash on the drivers side, when drivers door is open you see the 2 round "locks" with slots to open the access panel. Open it and you will see the fuses. Pull the fuse for the fogs "see the picture I attached for the one to use" make sure you use the top slot where you pulled the fuse. clip the other end of the wire to the pink wire you will see in behind the fuse panel. It was tight to work in but can be done with some diligence and I took out the support piece you see in the picture with the philips screw for better access. I cut away the black tape and grabbed the pink wire and used a wire tap and clipped with needle nose pliers but looks like the way they did it in the picture was to stick the jumper wire right in with the pink wire. Not sure hoe they did that unless they took apart the dash to get to it? I bought the inline fuse holder at walmart for $2 and the wire tap is 20 cents and the bandaid from cutting your hand when trying to get the tap on the pink wire is 10 cents so your done for less than $3 all in. hope that helps.

PS what colour xfire did you get?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info, The crossfire I bought is a red 05 w/black and gray leather, its a blast to drive, can see less time on my Harley this summer. I have had this panel off and will have another look today ,thanks again,Ross

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

Steve, I had the CTC module installed by them today, OMG its basically a relay switch that is "triggered" by the current from the spark plug .they enclosed it in a sealed plastic module as they call it. 1 wire positive from battery, (in) 1 wire (out) to low beam that is triggered by spark plug wire and 1 ground SO SIMPLE ,dont know what I was thinking ,I wired running lights on my Harley last year using the same principle using a CTC relay. You can trigger the relay w/low voltage, even a 5 amp line will do, just find a wire in the panel that comes on w/key and wire it to a 50 cent relay.

Even simpler yet, run a wire from the cigar lighter fuse (15 amp) which is located in the fuse panel under the hood drivers side and is activated by the key, Run the wire to the fog lights and "presto" note: you can bare this wire and shove it in with the fuse, make sure you shove it in on the "safe side" of terminal which is the side closest to passenger side, it is now fused and operating and only requires some wiring. (easy to get at wiring)

Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the info - I want to take the fogs off as DRL's and use some LED strip lights like the newer vehicles for the running lights, I will try wiring up to the cigarette lighter fuse as you suggest. any more info on which fuse it is exactly in that box or is there a list in the fuse box under the hood ( I haven't looked at that yet).

I think Blaze red looks great!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Steve, Yes the Blaze Red is an amazing colour!!! Pop the hood and remove the fuse cover located on Drivers side, its #31 which is close to front, one side of terminal is live w/key . You can tap into this using a male connector, install a inline fuse and run wire directly to fog light, you can splice into this wire under the car,just turn wheels to full right and you can access thru the opening in the wheel well, let me know how you make out.

Quick Reply: American market headlamp switch wanted.