Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Back Up Sensor

Old 08-23-2003, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Up Sensor

On Friday, 8/22, had a Directed Electronics 9400T Back Up Sensor installed on my Graphite/Automatic Crossfire. Am very pleased with the quality of the installation, and my quick initial testing of the system, which includes four black nearly-flush quarter-sized sensors in the rear bumper and a buzzer located behind the screen below the hatchback in the cargo area. The parts came to $200 and the labor was $150, for a total of $350, plus tax. Had priced several systems from $99 ot $250, and considered doing the install myself, but researched and located a very reputable auto audio/accessory shop nearby that did an outstanding job, in about a half-day. They did have to remove the rear bumper to do the job--something I would not have been comfortable doing myself. The system beeps twice when the car is placed in reverse to indicate that the system is on, and then goes throught five steps of an increasing number of beeps as the distance to objects (obstructions or people) decreases from a distance of 5.5 ft down to a long beep at 1 to 0 ft. Had to get assistance from an observer for the testing, as the wall looked much closer in the mirrors/over my shoulder than it was in reality. Chose to install the sensor system because of the limited rear visibility and the fact that almost all of my parking is in garages, and occassionally in lots, where crossing drivers do not look for backing cars. Sensors are almost invisible on the graphite at 10 ft, and would be even harder to see on a black car. Was told by the installers that the sensors could be painted to match the body color with no degradation in performance (although I do not plan to do this). Will do more complete testing and post any additional findings/comments.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Forum Regular

Does it go "beep, beep, beep" when backing up like big trucks :lol: ?

INteresting concept, not sure it would be something I would want, but in our situation it might be a good thing.

Enjoy!

Old 08-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Default Beeps only heard on the inside

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the sound is only heard on the inside--to warn the driver of obstructions--not to warn others that the car is backing! :lol:

Old 08-27-2003, 03:41 AM
Forum Regular

I'm probably going to go with MIR-based sensors which can be placed totally behind the bumper and will work through the bumper.

Do you know if the sensors you're using are ultrasonic?

Old 08-27-2003, 01:00 PM

I have an Audiovox ROSS [rear object sensing system] in my 300M and have found it to be too sensitive to be a lot of help to the driver. It has a flashing light on the upper corner of the rear window [yellow/red] for visual aid and two small boxes mount under the bumper. It beeps in certain patterns as objects get closer to the car. The beep is only heard in the car and I have it turned up to max [drives my wife crazy] so I can hear it over the A/C and stereo when I start the car up. Both come up loud, especially in the hot summer. My installer has tried shortening and narrowing the unit's detection areas, but to no avail. It picks up things near the side of the back end as well as straight back. Thus it is hard to tell if the ornamental bushes are causing it to beep incessantly, or if I am about to run over something behind me. Cost was about $300 installed. Can't recommend that brand. The Direct Electronics unit mentioned above sounds like it is more precise.

Old 08-27-2003, 03:38 PM

The Directed Electronics Sensor that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread is ultrasonic, and appears to work as advertised. I do noticle that it briefly detects my garage door frame as I back out, so it does appear to have some peripheral vision. Have had no false alarms yet.