Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004's, Have you changed your battery?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Re: 2004's, Have you changed your battery?

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The Interstate catalog does not list a 91HD, is this a Sam's number?
Is this really the HTD-91?
What color is the case?
Are the terminals on the top to the side?
Does it have one or two handles?
Does the stock clamp work without a spacer?
The reason for asking these questions is that ignoring batteries that require spacers under the clamp, there are not to many batteries that fit.
I am trying to find out if Interstate battery MTP-91 fits the tray as the dimensions listed for it indicate that it is too long by about 5/16".
It would be nice to have this battery in the choice as it is more powerful than the MTP-H6.
I replaced my battery with the interstate battery they installed. i watched, every thing fit fine. I just walked over to insterstate battery . The pn is ntph6 they make this battery for the chrysler dealers, it even has the vent port. Kinda of pricey!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Re: 2004's, Have you changed your battery?

The Interstate catalog does not list a 91HD, is this a Sam's number?
Is this really the HTD-91?
What color is the case?
Are the terminals on the top to the side?
Does it have one or two handles?
Does the stock clamp work without a spacer?
The reason for asking these questions is that ignoring batteries that require spacers under the clamp, there are not to many batteries that fit.
I am trying to find out if Interstate battery MTP-91 fits the tray as the dimensions listed for it indicate that it is too long by about 5/16".
It would be nice to have this battery in the choice as it is more powerful than the MTP-H6.
It is probably just a Sam's number, it is identical to the picture of the MTP-91 that is shown earlier in the thread. It cost me $87. The stock clamp will work if you take it off and turn it around, that's what did the trick for me and its nice and tight. Last night, I got a flash light out and it fits perfectly in my tray, no room to spare. Since it is more powerful than the MTP-H6, why does the H6 cost more?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronman
It is probably just a Sam's number, it is identical to the picture of the MTP-91 that is shown earlier in the thread. It cost me $87. The stock clamp will work if you take it off and turn it around, that's what did the trick for me and its nice and tight. Last night, I got a flash light out and it fits perfectly in my tray, no room to spare. Since it is more powerful than the MTP-H6, why does the H6 cost more?
Turn the clamp around? Do you mean turn the the rubber pad upside down? It probably costs more because of the quantities sold, your guess is a good as mine, probably better.
Could you give me a measurement for the length of the case that fits in to the tray as the length is given as 11 3/8" in the battery specifications. My tray would not take that length.
I have started a thread in this forum about battery selection and I have corrected some errors and would I hate to make any more. I am not including batteries that require spacers for clamping which cuts the number down considerably.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Post Re: 2004's, Have you changed your battery?

Hey guys look at this http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/batteries and also may look at napa 7590. Look at bottom of list. Insterstate web site. Mpt-h6 is not as long 10 15/16 and is white like oem, but a little lighter on amps. The mtp-91 is11 3/8 long and is black and is a higher amp. Hmmmmm. What did i say!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts

Turn the clamp around? Do you mean turn the the rubber pad upside down? It probably costs more because of the quantities sold, your guess is a good as mine, probably better.
Could you give me a measurement for the length of the case that fits in to the tray as the length is given as 11 3/8" in the battery specifications. My tray would not take that length.
I have started a thread in this forum about battery selection and I have corrected some errors and would I hate to make any more. I am not including batteries that require spacers for clamping which cuts the number down considerably.
Yes I meant to turn the rubber pad upside down. Its hard to measure it while its in there but its way closer to 10.5 than it is to 11 3/8. I have a 2004 Crossfire btw.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here is a different twist on the oem batteries. My car is a 2008 and built on 10/16/07 and has it's oem battery. Here is the difference. It is a white case, twin handle Varta but it has a CCA of 700 and a RC of 150. To top it all off it was made in Germany, not Spain like the others and it states in two places that it's a BCI group#48 size.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

I bought and installed the Interstate MTP-91 from the Firestone across from my house.
I printed the $20 coupon off there website (thanks blackxfire).

The battery has a new date code of January 2009 (A9) and is fully charged holding 12.7 Volts.
It fits the battery tray perfectly but is a tiny bit shorter so a rubber spacer is suggested with the battery hold down strap.

Last edited by Valk; 02-25-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 AM

Haven't changed the wifes 04 SSB yet. I know an ounce of prevention thing but it's working so good, so far. Guess I'm just a real risk taker (or did Jack Benny just call that cheap?).

Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I bought and installed the Interstate MTP-91 from the Firestone across from my house.
I printed the $20 coupon off there website (thanks blackxfire).

The battery has a new date code of January 2009 (A9) and is fully charged holding 12.7 Volts.
It fits the battery tray perfectly but is a tiny bit shorter so a rubber spacer is suggested with the battery hold down strap.

Gary, please share about this coupon, I poked around the interstate and firestone sites and come up with nothing. Maybe the promo has ended, but I need a battery and it is worth asking THANKS.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 05XF-LVR
Gary, please share about this coupon, I poked around the interstate and firestone sites and come up with nothing. Maybe the promo has ended, but I need a battery and it is worth asking THANKS.
It was just last month.
This is the offers for this month but no batteries....

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...fers/index.jsp

Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
It was just last month.
This is the offers for this month but no batteries....

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...fers/index.jsp
That is what I figured, but it was worth asking, thanks for the quick response.

John

Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 PM

John,

I just checked the coupon link that Gary posted and there is one for $10 (75months) or $20 (85 months) off an Interstate battery...The coupon is good thru April 30 and requires the old battery in exchange.

My 05 XF battery died last week. Will hold a charge for a day, but overnight, it's flat again. Has the white OEM battery H6 group.

Pat

Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by patdow
John,

I just checked the coupon link that Gary posted and there is one for $10 (75months) or $20 (85 months) off an Interstate battery...The coupon is good thru April 30 and requires the old battery in exchange.

My 05 XF battery died last week. Will hold a charge for a day, but overnight, it's flat again. Has the white OEM battery H6 group.

Pat
My local Firestone has them for $129.99 (ugh), but the $20 coupon will help.

Pat

Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 PM

Pat
Yup that was the same exact price when I got mine here.
Glad to see the coupon is back among the offers this month.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks Pat, that is kind of salty, but better to do it a few months before absolutely necessary than to be stuck somewhere...

Pat

Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM

General battery questions, we're going to clean the corrosion off the terminals. Other than the radio/time is there anything else that will need to be reset? Mileage for oil change kind of things? thanks
Also on a 2005 car- is it time to get a new battery for it? Say no- make Gary happy. He just put in a new battery on the 1999 Stratus, it's original worked fine one minute and completely dead the next. The Sears $53 replacement will seem like a bargain compared to the XF battery.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rapp's yellow CF
General battery questions, we're going to clean the corrosion off the terminals. Other than the radio/time is there anything else that will need to be reset? Mileage for oil change kind of things? thanks
Also on a 2005 car- is it time to get a new battery for it? Say no- make Gary happy. He just put in a new battery on the 1999 Stratus, it's original worked fine one minute and completely dead the next. The Sears $53 replacement will seem like a bargain compared to the XF battery.
OK,no need to change the battery Gary. Happy now?
I have a 2004 and the battery was put in the car in Nov.'03 and you wonder if you should change, I have had not an inkling of trouble but I know I am on borrowed time. Voltage is good but one little cough and that battery is gone. I hate to toss it, so I am doing my bit to save the planet and my wallet at the same time.
PS. By coincidence I had a 1999 Cirrus and I put a new battery in it two months before I sold it last fall. My wife convinced me we only needed two cars, that left me without a car when she was out in the winter. I could not wait to get the Xfire out.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-18-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InfernoRedXfire
If it's your daily driver and your means to get to work/school, "milk it till the last minute" is not very wise when it comes to batteries.
367 days and still working. It's a May 2003 battery and its 2010. 7 years of work, :shrug: going fine. I do good maintenance to it. I think its sealed too so if it does die you can't refill it you gotta change it. Lame.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 2004's, Have you changed your battery?

My battery is also the original one. No problems.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kit Fox
367 days and still working. It's a May 2003 battery and its 2010. 7 years of work, :shrug: going fine. I do good maintenance to it. I think its sealed too so if it does die you can't refill it you gotta change it. Lame.
The OEM Varta's are not sealed they are low maintenance batteries. Unscrew the six caps and fill with distilled water to the bottom of the hole. Mine was an October '03 and I changed it last Spring, I hate gambling on batteries, it still worked fine though.

Quick Reply: 2004's, Have you changed your battery?