Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !

Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !

In the past year I've received a couple dozen PM's from various forum members telling me how much they would like to have a hood like mine. It's all been very flattering, but really the only thing I could tell everybody was how I went about getting mine built.
That was until I heard from a relatively "new" forum member "Sarge" who PM'd me and was very interested in acquiring one. Like everybody else, I told him the best possible way to duplicate my hoods design was in fiberglass.
Well this very enterprising young man had the initiative to get in touch with a well known maker of "High Quality" Fiberglass Hoods (AAR) and sent them a photo of my Crossfire from my Avatar. The next thing I know, I hear from Sarge and he informs me that they are very interested in the project.
I just got off the phone with AAR, and they would like to have about 10 "confirmed" orders before the wheels are set in motion. He assured me that they only build the finest molds for their hoods, so the quality of the product is uniform for the entire production run. Google aarqualityfiberglass.com and read all about them. I think they are shooting for a price under $700, + shipping. With a large enough order, maybe the price would come down, and maybe we can talk em into a Crossfireforum "Group" purchase discount.

I know the "jury" is still out with some forum members when it comes to accepting my hood design. But all I can tell you is that I've been told by dozens of people that after seeing it in person, they really like it, and the photo's simply don't do it justice. It totally changes the "personality" of the Crossfire, and it comes across as much more intimidating. Plus it makes the Crossfire even more "Retro" looking than it already is.
A Chrysler "design" engineer agreed with me when I said this should have been "standard" on the SRT6.
To me, the difference between my XF and a "stock" one is almost like comparing a "stock" 1966 Mustang fastback, to a 66 "Shelby" Mustang, (without the stripes of course) it's not really any faster, it just looks like it is.
The fiberglass reproduction hood will accept all the original hood "hardware", and it can be made functional just like the original AMX style hood scoop.
This whole thing is in its "infant" stage, and AAR will be monitoring the forum. So any "positive" feedback should go along way towards making this project reach fruition.

Here are some photos taken at the Dragon (just in case somebody forgot what it looks like).

https://www.crossfireforum.org/galle...hp/photo/12641

And some close-ups courtesy of Andrew.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=17372

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-19-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 630 Likes on 431 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !

Very cool.
I assume that price will be for a unpainted hood ??
It will be up to each individual to have it painted to match their color ??

Only see one problem...Mike, you won't have a one of a kind anymore.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
But he'll have the original proto type.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Very cool.
I assume that price will be for a unpainted hood ??
It will be up to each individual to have it painted to match their color ??

Sad but true. On the other hand, wouldn't it be cool on an SRT.

roadster with a stick

Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Maybe not, but mine will still be the only one with "magnetic" appeal.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That's great news for those interested in a hood like yours, which by the way I think it cool. I wonder if this guy would to the side skirts.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM

+Fire AMX... I always liked my brothers 390 V-8 1970 AMX. I think it's a really nice crossover mod for our cars. I'm sure some would rather hide their mods under the hood, but I like being out of the box. You make it and I'll buy it. Don

Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always liked that hood! However, at this time $700 is not possible for me. I would be inerested down the road. I don't think they would have any problem selling them.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Guys...I hope you'll reconize a great deal!!! Believe me...glass ain't cheap and to have a direct bolt on is even a better deal. I wan't one and I'll get one when I can.

But a hood like this is just awesome!!! It gives the car a whole different look and chicks dig big hoods!!!

Anywho...Allen at AAR does tremendous work and has a quality product so those of you interested let's get something going and by early spring we could start bolt'n these bad boys on!!!

BTW...I just wanna say Thanks Mike!!! for all the support!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

you make for $700 and i'll buy it i could even pick it up, no shipping. jim

Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM

We have 2 takers so far....anybody else???

Old 09-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As much as I see it, it doesn't grow on me. I can appreciate the way it fits in with the lines of the car (look at the gap between the two scoops and the spine down the center, through the grille etc..) It just doesn't enhance the car's overall appeal to me. I think the car is too small for me to like a scoop that big.

Last edited by downwardspiral; 09-19-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Received 107 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the scoop looks good, but I don't like the idea of loosing the lines down the hood. Add the scoop with the original lines in the hood and you may have something...

James

Old 09-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

That's all I needed was another thing to spend my $$$ on!
Got a bargian on my SRT but all of the add-ons are costin' me!!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by downwardspiral
I think the car is too small for me to like a scoop that big
Spiral, I totally agree with you, it does come off looking "too" big in the photos to me also. But have you actually had a chance to see it in person? If not, then don't be so quick to pass judgement.
For the record, it's no larger than the "Stinger" Cowl Induction scoop that was on the 1967 Vette. (Another car comparable in size to the Crossfire, and with a similar "coupe" roofline).

James, If I had tried to incorporate the original hood strakes into this scoop design, it would truly become too "busy", and one design "theme" would probably try to cancel out the other.
I had nothing against the "rain gutters" on the original Crossfire hood, but I wanted a scoop more. Then Chrysler decided to "water down" the significance of the Crossfire's "signature" hood design by including it on the Sebring sedan, Pacifica, and even a Sport Utility. After seeing our hood being "disrespected" so much by its own "parent" company, I had no problem changing it.
I promis, with this fiberglass hood, Your car will never be confused with a Sebring.

Tighed1, it's only money, but it's worth it.

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:00 AM

It comes down to this IMHO...it's something different that can make Crossfire's stand out a little more...but you either love it or dislike it.

I personaly appreciate the hood Mike has done and for us to get a chance to make our cars different from others. I like to have my signature on the vehicle I drive...but that's just me.

If ya'll like the strakes and want to pursue having the hood made that way by all means contact AAR and see what they say.

James and I talked last night about a diifernt concept as well, he suggested using something like the Cuda scoop to go through the hood...I also know that AAR does those as well. So the possibiliets are endless...BLUF...it takes money and time.

The price Allen (AAR) gave us is very fair for a complete bolt on hood. I plan to purchase one myself but like most of you I have to put money aside to do this...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 107 Likes on 80 Posts

Guys, Go for how you think it should be. I know not everyone will be happy but at least you are making a stab at it. I for one will wait until I see the finished product on a car before I decide to purchase or not. I'm sure Sarge will be glad to show me his when completed!

Sincerely, good luck with your project and I hope it does very well for you guys with great results.

James

Old 09-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Yes Sir!!! And James...we'll park next to our buddy from milford and drive him crazy!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Forum Regular

I really dig the scooped hood !

Especially now that there are a bunch of Sebrings on the road which just serve to make my Crossfire look common and cheap. That crazy AMX scoop ensures nobody mistakes a Crossfire for a lousy Sebring...

Slim

Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 PM

Look guys, this is the deal.
What we have here is an aftermarket supply company (AAR) with an excellent reputation, that's very interested in supplying Crossfire owners with a custom hood. One that's capable of offering CAI capacity, or engine compartment ventilation, possibly some weight savings advantages, or simply a retro styled "look". All at a very attractive price.
What we don't have, is customers. Which has me somewhat puzzled.
Of the nearly 2 dozen people who told me they were very interested in purchasing a hood like mine, I've accidently erased half of them from my private messages. I won't publicly "out" those members whose messages I still have stored, but I will be getting in touch with them soon.
All we need to get is 10 people to step up and take the leap, and we'll start enjoying a new chapter in Crossfire "Aftermarket" parts availability. (Something that has been sorely lacking by Crossfire owners everywhere).
I know some people are probably taking a wait and see attitude, which isn't surprising. But holding off on making a purchase, isn't going to get the job done.
With over 76,000 Crossfires built
Easily 73,000 privately owned cars
Nearly 16,000 Forum members
1,735 active members
There has to be atleast 500 "serious" Crossfire enthusiasts out there.
So isn't there a dozen or so people who want to "stand out" in a crowd, and get something daring, a little controversial, and just plain "fun" started?
I sure hope so, because I'd hate to lose a potential "long term" aftermarket parts supplier just out of procrastination.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !