Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !

Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Look guys, this is the deal.
What we have here is an aftermarket supply company (AAR) with an excellent reputation, that's very interested in supplying Crossfire owners with a custom hood. One that's capable of offering CAI capacity, or engine compartment ventilation, possibly some weight savings advantages, or simply a retro styled "look". All at a very attractive price.
What we don't have, is customers. Which has me somewhat puzzled.
Of the nearly 2 dozen people who told me they were very interested in purchasing a hood like mine, I've accidently erased half of them from my private messages. I won't publicly "out" those members whose messages I still have stored, but I will be getting in touch with them soon.
All we need to get is 10 people to step up and take the leap, and we'll start enjoying a new chapter in Crossfire "Aftermarket" parts availability. (Something that has been sorely lacking by Crossfire owners everywhere).
I know some people are probably taking a wait and see attitude, which isn't surprising. But holding off on making a purchase, isn't going to get the job done.
With over 76000 Crossfires built
Easily 73,000 privately owned cars
Nearly 16,000 Forum members
1,735 active members
There has to be atleast 500 "serious" Crossfire enthusiasts out there.
So isn't there a dozen or so people who want to "stand out" in a crowd, and get something daring, a little controversial, and just plain "fun" started?
I sure hope so, because I'd hate to lose a potential "long term" aftermarket parts supplier just out of procrastination.
Ya snooze ya lose!!! I spent many hours to even convince AAR to take this project on, Like Mike said if we procrastinate then this was for nothing and I would honestly say that we won't find another vender who would be willing to do this.

Last count if I'm correct was 3...

Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 AM

Just to add my 2 cents : I am not interested in putting this hood on my car, but to anyone that is, an opportunity like this will most likely not appear again. Finding any quality company to set up molds for anything for a Crossfire will probably be like pulling teeth. A quality built custom fiberglass hood designed for a Crossfire at a better price I really can't see happening.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 AM

I am in.

Boricua1
________
SexyBarbie

Last edited by boricua1; 08-20-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boricua1
I am in.
Boricua1
Thanks to Andrew, this thread is now in the right place.

Thanks Boricua1 for your support.
We're still looking for a few good men, and women to make up the first order of hoods.
Speaking from experience, I don't think you'll regret it.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Tell me more about the cold air inlet, I have a shaker hood in prism paint for years now on my dakota, From AAR.

Cold air works for me, need input, Johnny #5. Woody

Old 09-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Hey Mike, I found the link and I'm in. Are you SERIOUS...AAR WANTS TO BUILD FOR CROSSFIRES. Does noone but Mike and Sarge see the significance of how BIG that is. It's great that they are even entertaining our desires. Good job Sarge and Mike. Damn good. Hey Mike, are we committed to "your" hood scoop type or is AAR offering different styles once we reach "10".
Either way,
A fiberglass hood = -$700.00
S/H = -$50.00
The look on Doubters/JonnyComeLatelies/Cheyy/Ford/Chrysler/Dodge Owners' faces = PRICELESS.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM

New Hood??? Count me in, possible Ram air even better, let's get on this.
Hear me talk!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was a different style hood I'd be interested in the GB...but the current one being offered is not to my tastes. Here is the rough idea of what I've been tinkering with myself. It is off the new Jag. XKR and has nice defined lines along with two functional vents that say "supercharged".
DSC05973.jpg

DSC05971.jpg

JaguarXKRsupercharged.jpg

I am waiting to aquire another Crossfire hood to "convert" as I don't want to experiment on my own.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I actually thought about doing something like that too. I was just going to take another factory hood, chop off the parts over the wheel wells and try to blend it in the front and have it raised up about 2 inches in the back. I'll donate my hood to the cause if I get the first one LOL. Keep up the good work guys. We'd do this but it's so crazy how much stoff you have to do to even ust get the top half done and thats the easy side.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by waldig
Tell me more about the cold air inlet, I have a shaker hood in prism paint for years now on my dakota, From AAR.

Cold air works for me, need input, Johnny #5. Woody
They reproduce everything you need to make the scoop functional, and to fit snuggly to an open top of a carb "style" air cleaner.
It would take very little inginuity (especially for you Woody) to fabricate something that would utilize the repro hardware that's available, and hook it up to the existing intake of the Crossfire.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main..._induction.htm

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already contacted AMX in a PM, but just for the record. I'm in.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

moparbust. what in the world is that? it looks SOO amazing. and what is that sitting on your current hood? please tell me thats not a chopped up XF hood.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Here's a list of forum members who have stepped forward:

1. AMX1397
2. Boricua1
3. Doneharm
4. Ichon
5. iDriveX
6. Sarge
7. Squirrel Crusher
8. Punkin

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-23-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Voyager
moparbust. what in the world is that? it looks SOO amazing. and what is that sitting on your current hood? please tell me thats not a chopped up XF hood
It's the skin off a new XKR...and it's sitting on towels so it didn't scratch my hood on initial "fit". You can see I outlined general cuts I need to make to "fit" better and once I get around to doing that I'll just tape the underside of the skin and set it on my hood so it's more flush and not so distracted from the white towels.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:40 AM

so just to clarify, this is AAR Fiberglass based out of Cocoa , FL who makes fiberglass hoods for Mopars, http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/aboutus.html not the actual AAR referenced by the AAR Cuda, http://www.aarcuda.com/ started by Dan Gurney and carol shelby?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
It's the skin off a new XKR...and it's sitting on towels so it didn't scratch my hood on initial "fit". You can see I outlined general cuts I need to make to "fit" better and once I get around to doing that I'll just tape the underside of the skin and set it on my hood so it's more flush and not so distracted from the white towels.
how much did it cost to get the skin of the XKR??? that had to cost a fortune. and you are going to have the most beautiful crossfire hood on the planet.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Well we only need 3 more people to climb on board to get this project off the ground. But 20 hoods would be even more incentive for AAR to start production.
Some people pay $300 to $400 to knock a couple of 10ths. off their 1/4 mile times. Others spend even more to "hear" just the right sound everytime they start their car. I think I even read where somebody paid $700 just to have a "clear" protective bra installed.
But here's a "mod" you can enjoy everytime you walk out into your garage, or just sitting on your front porch admiring your car while it's parked in the driveway. Plus it's something you get to enjoy everytime you get behind the wheel. Not to mention all the looks you'll get when your driving down the road.
The change in the Crossfires appearance is so dramatic, it's almost like getting a whole new car, for a few 100 dollars.
I'm not sure, but I don't think we have any roadster owners on the list. A few of them would be a nice addition.
Come on, I know there has to be a lot of you who are still sitting on that "Incentive" money G.W. sent to you awhile back just to "jump start" the economy. Why not spend it on your baby?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !

Hey I'm all good to go forward, just need to understand some of the parameters. What is the shape / image of the design approach?

I would favor a zero height style that is similar to the NASA inlet scoops that I had on a pinto (tricked out) and on the chevy camaro I believe. Sorta looks like a recessed v cuto out or two that does not stick up like a pep boys add on. It would be more subtle and command more respect than a mail box attached to the hood.

I have done bunches with hoods and a few shots are below. I for one would like to get rid of the blood grooves on the hood and have a smoother shape, the Jag is a darn good start. Give me an Image and I'll go too. I'll store this stocker like the other two I have in the garage now. If its real and functional, well I'm on board. See my AAR company style 70 cuda shaker hood from my 2002 Dakota work van, lots of +++ comments on that one. Paint chips, thanks to SECOND gear whip.

I had to make the Hemi hood scoop, the fiberglas 6PACK hoods are too wide to use. I have not finished that one, durn Crossfire never let me get enough time in the garage to finish and final paint...Toys Toys Toys.

Last one is the 6 Pack, paint is my custom mixed IMRON poly paint, Plum crazy +.

Ready Freddie, Woody

Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM

This is a mail box attached to a hood.
http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/MyG...cramblerP1.htm
If you don't like the design of the hood that AAR thinks is good enough to reproduce, then build as many different designs as you want.
But go post them in another thread, OK.
The whole point of this thread is to sign up enough people to actually get a BIG NAMED, well respected, aftermarket company (AAR) to actually build something for the Crossfire. You know, "Aftermarket Support" something everybody has been whining about not having for the last 5 years.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Voyager
how much did it cost to get the skin of the XKR??? that had to cost a fortune. and you are going to have the most beautiful crossfire hood on the planet.
My total investment so far is $0.00. The hood is aluminum and had to be replaced due to a bent corner (anything bigger than a golfball has to be replaced) so I skinned the cat and threw it on the 6.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass "Scooped" Crossfire Hood !