Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hey Lantana, this is for you man, these guys offer an aftermarker supercharger for your motor, it adds 150 hp , check it out!

http://www.myhps.com/index.php?src=g...ink=commercial

Last edited by Maxwell; 02-14-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM

hey i just wanted to know whats going on with this project ive read the whole thing and am really interested

Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the very early 70s I have been going to drop a V8 in just about everything small on the road.
I have yet to do a single engine swap...
Good luck,
Keep us posted!
Montana Crossfire

Old 03-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep up the good work. I know a guy who put an LS1 ina RX-7, and I was impressed. This should be even better.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxwell
1st-2nd is fine if you know how to drive a stick, also some 04 models have had problems with synchros. 2-1st gear shifts are flawless if you can double clutch and blip the throttle to get the cones and synchros up to speed. like silk baby!
there are technical upgrade to the 6 speed that can make it handle 480hp, requires some machine work. the good thing is the jeep guys use the same trans, so maybe in a few years some one will come out with a heavy duty kit.

It has been verified by several tuners that the manual trans can handle about 350 torque without much drama, the 430 engine isn't grossly powerful, can't imagine why it would have any trouble. If benz would have sold this car with this engine from the jump, it would have sold like crazy and could have actually kept up with 350z's.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Lantana hasn't been online in over a month...I'm beginning to wonder if he has given up or if something has happened to him?

Where ya at bud?

SQ

Old 03-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

^^^I believe he is away on business for over a month. He'll be back most likely after real life work is done with. :O)

Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM

Check this out guys, here is the Brabus version of a v8 swap into the R170 chassis car, this should get Lantana off his ***!

"midrange power, faster than an Aston Martin Vantage"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBm9gBn2RBs

I also like the machined handbrake on this car, sure beats the rubbery thing we got.

Last edited by Maxwell; 03-07-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Lantana hasn't been online in over a month...I'm beginning to wonder if he has given up or if something has happened to him?

Where ya at bud?

SQ
Perhaps he decided on an SRT4 engine...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out guys, here is the Brabus version of a v8 swap into the R170 chassis car, this should get Lantana off his ***!

I also like the machined handbrake on this car, sure beats the rubbery thing we got.

GREAT VIDEO!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 04Fire
GREAT VIDEO!
Think what Brabus could do with the XFire. They could have style and performance.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

^^^^Ummmmm Startech is Brabus. LOL

Old 03-08-2008, 03:39 AM

Sweeeet ! Now that's what I'm talkin bout !!!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I have been looking at ways to improve the performance of my Crossfire for about a month now and have been researching different ways to do this. After a lot of thought I have decided to go with a V8. I have been asked to document this conversion, so this will be the first official post. This first post is just to get you all up to speed on what I have been up to and then I will post from time to time as it progresses.

Background:

I looked at forced induction including dropping in an SRT-6 engine which are selling fairly cheap, but decided on the V8 for these reasons,

1. investment, dropping in a SRT-6 engine or other turbo/supercharger set up will result in car that will probably never be worth more than an SRT-6 which currently isn't worth all that much more than a Limited.

2. The only V8 Crossfire's on the market are priced very very very high.

3. Love the sound, smoothness and torque of a V8.

4. Exclusiveness.

5. Only a 130 pound weight penalty over a non supercharged V6.

6. All Mercedes Auto Body Parts or an OEM (non Frankenstein) result.

I have located an engine complete with ECU and engine harness. The engine I found is from a 2002 CL500 with less than 15,000 miles on it.

the engines that will fit are any 24 valve V8 from 1998 - 2005 430 C43, 500, and 55 AMG. The C43 would be a little easier since it already has the correct exhaust manifolds. It also looks like you need the thinner electric fan from CL500 (may be on other Mercedes as well) . The biggest fear is electronics. I have called and talked to many experts that have said it can't be done to it can be done. The problem is with the ECU and the VIN encoding. When you try to run the V8 ECU it will not find things it is looking for and activate the anti theft system. It appears that if I bolt it all up and use the ECU and harness from the donor car, it will not start. I will have to tow the vehicle to someone with either a Mercedes Star Mark or an Auto Logic with Mercedes module diagnostic computer. I just had a good talk to an independent mechanic that hot rods Porsches and Mustangs while doing service on Mercedes and other German cars to pay the bills. It turns out he remembers me from when I was showing the Cobra in the Dallas area a few years ago. He said he even remembered talking to me a few years ago! We hit if off and he said he could get this car to run if I can bolt the engine in, and he does have the Star Mark computer which he said would be needed to reassociate the ECU with the Crossfire. There is no way to know for sure if this will work but I have gone as far as I can and now just need to start wrenching.

If all goes well I should have the 5 litre engine in my garage by the end of the month or first week of November.
Hmm sound good i hope i could this with my car anyway good luck

Old 03-13-2008, 10:25 PM

unfortunatly the tuners like inmotion have the capability to adapt our car's ecu's to run v8's, yet for some reason he won't program the computer, I don't know what thier problem is, maybe they have signed contract to Bosch and MBZ stating they cannot do such upgrades otherwise they might loose all available software. friggin sucks.

Originally Posted by jahorld
Hmm sound good i hope i could this with my car anyway good luck

Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Forum Regular

unfortunatly the tuners like inmotion have the capability to adapt our car's ecu's to run v8's, yet for some reason he won't program the computer, I don't know what thier problem is, maybe they have signed contract to Bosch and MBZ stating they cannot do such upgrades otherwise they might loose all available software. friggin sucks.
Maybe they do not have the technical knowledge to do this.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
Maybe they do not have the technical knowledge to do this.
YEs they do, Inmotion admitted they can but won't do it.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Forum Regular

i may be wrong but i believe inmotion use the byteshooter hardware/software to tune our ecu's. if so they cannot reprogramme an ecu to run a v8

Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by stevieb
i may be wrong but i believe inmotion use the byteshooter hardware/software to tune our ecu's. if so they cannot reprogramme an ecu to run a v8
they have been around for 25 years, the byteshooter or what ever flash computer thie agents use to download files is designed to do just that, not modify high security parameters. I'm sure they have more technology at thier shop than you give them credit for.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM

Any progress?

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary