Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Lantana,

Do you have an updated timeline on the mechanical aspects of this? I'm anxious to read about you actually dropping it in and fitting it. It seems fairly simple from what you've gathered.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Lantana,

Do you have an updated timeline on the mechanical aspects of this? I'm anxious to read about you actually dropping it in and fitting it. It seems fairly simple from what you've gathered.
I am going to be taking some vacation time during Christmas and hope to drop it in then. The only parts I am lacking now are the exhaust maniflods which have been paid for but not arrived yet and an electric fan which I still have to confirm which one will work before buying one. I am buying used MB parts from Potomec recylers which is the largest mercedes junk yard in the United states.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Forum Regular

I hope you will take lots of pictures!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM

I have been fallowing your conversion to the t and I hope that it gets easier for you...were all rooting for you. Its one for all of us!!!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which ecu will you be using?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie
I hope you will take lots of pictures!
I will try to take many pictures.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by crash
I have been fallowing your conversion to the t and I hope that it gets easier for you...were all rooting for you. Its one for all of us!!!
It would have been nice if this had been done before and there was knowledge on how to do it. Figuring it all out though is half the fun. If this had been done before, I would have done some things different, but I have to keep in mind that if it doesn't work, I have to try to recoup my investment. Thank you for the encouragment. Since I almost have all the parts to bolt the engine in, I turned my attention to the elctronics this past week. If you really want to go crazy try figuring out how these ECU's work when you try to change them from one car to another.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
which ecu will you be using?
This is a good question. At one point we almost thought we should try to use the Crossfire ECU since is was the same Bosh ME2.8 as the CL500 ECU and has all the same pinouts and we wouldn't have to worry about the imobilization crap. But I was advised that this is not the way to go. The best way is to unlock the CL500 ECU and have it programed to the car with the Star diagnostics system mentioned earlier.

Unlocking an ECU evidently is not somthing that many people know about or can do. Since unlocking eliminates the imobilization programming which inlcludes the VIN number, many car theives are also trying to get the same info. It wasn't until people realized that I was for real and not a car theif did some of the smarter people start to advise me. It was my posting on this Forum that made people comfortable that I wasn't out stealing cars.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM

so have you found someone with a Star computer to unlock the cl500? how much do they want to do the job?

Old 11-27-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
so have you found someone with a Star computer to unlock the cl500? how much do they want to do the job?
You can't unlock the ECU with the Mercedes Star diagnostic system. There are only a couple of people in the world that have figured out how to unlock a Bosch ME2.8 ECU.

Once unlocked, you must have an experienced mechanic that has the Star system program the ECU to the car. I got lucky in finding an independant mechanic in my town that not only has the Star system but is really smart in eclectronics. If you met this guy you would think he graduated from MIT. It was also this mechanic who also first mentioned Beckmann Techmology to me. I did a search for "beckmann" on Benzworld and got all kinds of hits, the guys over there use Beckmann for all kinds of electronic issues where the dealer may want too much. I suspect that as our cars fall out of warrenty we may be seeing the name Beckmann more and more over here. The cost to unlock the ECU is $250 which I believe is the wholesale cost that mechanics are charged. After I put the car together with the new ECU, I will not attempt to start it. The car will be towed to my mechanic, Krause Automotive. He will then hook the car up to the Star diagnostic system and start the programing process. The procces involves associating the ECU with all other systems. The ECU will read the code from the dash and keys as well as the VIN. After the car has been started three time the ECU will lock in the new data. At least this is how it was explained to me.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Today the exhuast manifolds arrived from Potomac salvage. I am attaching a picture of the stock CL500 exhaust manifold which is also common to most other applications such as E class S class ect. and the C43 AMG exhaust manifolds. You will see that the C43 manifolds look like our Crossfire manifolds except for the extra pipe. When I compare closely the manifold exits in the exact same location as the Crossfire and the mounting flange to the down pipe is the same size as the V6 manifold. The piping on the V8 is a little larger and seems to neck down to the exit flange. On the V6 the pipe is smaller and then necks up slightly to the flange. With these manifolds I intend to be able to bolt right to the existing exhaust.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Exhaust manifold.jpg (13.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 12-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that I'd post this here since this is where it really belongs… that way we can all reference back to just one thread.

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I will give you my accounting to date for the V8 and I do believe you could do the SRT conversion for about the same money. With the costs being similar I went for the V8 for resale reasons. There just isn't any way a Limited with a SRT engine will ever be worth more than a SRT. Currently I can only account for two V8 Crossfires in the world, 1 in the UK and 1 in Germany, NONE in North America. One of the two was for sale for $177,000 (I hope he got it).

Engine $2,100, shipping form CA to Texas $280, C43 exhaust manifolds $299, One replacement valve cover and three missing coil packs $130, $40 misc. cleaning supplies and paint = $2,839.

To finish the project I still need: ECU unclock $250, program to car $250, Fan $200, = grand total of $3,539 My original budget was $4,000 so with the extra I should be able to get new exhaust gaskets, valve cover gaskets and water pump gaskets and two new SL55 intake tubes (air box to radiator support).

To do an SRT-6 engine I would get the engine, uncut engine harness, ECU and Dash cluster for the best price possible, add about $500 for ECU unlock and program. Doing the work yourself, you end up at about the same cost.

FYI:

Unlock ECU erases the information that is specific to the original car such as VIN, cluster codes imobilization codes. It becomes like a new replacement ECU.

Reprogramming the ECU is the process that you would go through if you had a bad ECU and had to replece the one you have. It is a process of associating the new ECU with all your systems and options. The ECU will learn the VIN and other information. After the third start the ECU locks itself with the new data.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you believe the rear end and tranny will hold up to the increases in torque?

Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by black05
How do you believe the rear end and tranny will hold up to the increases in torque?
I don't believe I will have any trouble. The auto trans is the same as what comes behind a SRT-6 and Mercedes V8's. The rear end should be fine as well since it also is installed in the SRT-6. There are guys on this forum that have boosted the torque of their SRT-6 to what I will have or even higher without any problems. Mercedes has always over engineered their cars to be durable.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 PM

Not sure if this would fit but the C32 rear end is available with a posi diff. I think it's also a larger rear end that comes in the C55 AMG, would be nice to swap in one of those as I'm sure it's a bit stronger car.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

Lantana is right, both Mercedes and Porsche over engineer their components.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 AM

So is it done yet? lol.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM

yeah how much progress has been made, need to post more pics.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 PM

An update is over due. I have been traveling heavily on business this past week and had to help with Christmas stuff for the past two weekends. I did get some work done on the new motor and will post udated pictures this evening (hopefully).

I have been searching the internet for solutions for the cooling fan. The stock one is too thick and won't work. I have been hoping to do this swap will all OEM/Mercedes parts, but I haven't been able to work out the fans. As I study the picture of the Startech V8, I now believe they are using the engine mounted fan with clutch from the C43. I would prefer electric fans that don't drain HP to run. I am going to look at the electric fan from a SLK230 Kompressor and see if it might work. It is thick but it is ofset away fromt the water pump pulley and may work. If this doesn't work I will use either a 16" fan offset to the left or twin 12" fans made by SPAL.

I also still have to have two bungs welded into my exhaust manifolds for the O2 sensors.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

When you get this done, whatever the next get together is that you attend, I'll be there. I seriously have to see (and hear) a V8 Crossfire. That will be one crazy cool beasty.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary