Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by Eric
What's the compleat price including labor tune everything?
For a COMPLETE 55K SCed setup you are North of $20K including install.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
For a COMPLETE 55K SCed setup you are North of $20K including install.
Maybe with a brand new motor, but you could get a used one and rebuild the internals if its even that bad.

Used Mercedes E55 AMG Engines > Mercedes E55 AMG Engine Motor Sales (Top Salvage Yards)

That is just an example, but those are E55 AMG motors for less than $2K. Then selling your v6 for 800, 900 for Mercedes SDS, and 1200 in parts. Those numbers are from a PM with Bob, I really couldnt see the 55K being THAT much more than the C500 Bob put in. You are talking $17,900 in parts....

EDIT: This is self install. A shop would charge a ton at current labor rates.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Maybe with a brand new motor, but you could get a used one and rebuild the internals if its even that bad.

Used Mercedes E55 AMG Engines > Mercedes E55 AMG Engine Motor Sales (Top Salvage Yards)

That is just an example, but those are E55 AMG motors for less than $2K. Then selling your v6 for 800, 900 for Mercedes SDS, and 1200 in parts. Those numbers are from a PM with Bob, I really couldnt see the 55K being THAT much more than the C500 Bob put in. You are talking $17,900 in parts....

EDIT: This is self install. A shop would charge a ton at current labor rates.

John definitely noted in his quote the 20k+ includes install by Speedriven/Rudy who has done all of the 55k swaps so far...gotta pay extra for experience.

Also, if you look at that site, the price increases exponentially when you get into a motor that is lower miles...like the 8k range.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
John definitely noted in his quote the 20k+ includes install by Speedriven/Rudy who has done all of the 55k swaps so far...gotta pay extra for experience.
That is true. All I was trying to say was that you dont have to pay that much. With help from the forum and doing everything yourself it would benefit cost greatly.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
That is true. All I was trying to say was that you dont have to pay that much. With help from the forum and doing everything yourself it would benefit cost greatly.
The only reason there are 55Ks running around is because of a handful of people, and if you want one done correctly, it will cost you north of $20K to have a complete TURNKEY solution - I was simply answering the question from Eric.

Even if you do EVERYTHING yourself, which no one can because of the ECU, you would still be over $10K if you bought a decent motor.

I am sure you think this is easier than it is because of seeing how successful Bob (Lantana) was, but he spent an insane amount of time, over a year if I remember correctly, before all the bugs were worked out, and it still doesn't start from a key, nor have FI like the 55K. He will get there, and has a ridiculous car to show for it, but nothing has been easy. The forum does not have a V8 conversion manual with step by step pictures.

Bob, please correct me if I am mistaken.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tks for the info any dyno runs on the supercharged v8's?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Cool project Markus!

have you gotten it to start using the key yet? Any plans to try this with a manual transmission?

Looking forward to hearing about more progress on this !
Chris
Yes, it starts with the key. No additional start button needed.

330 Nm AT was replaced with the 560 Nm version. Think there's no way to get a solution with a Mercedes MT, because of the torque. We had a racer project over here in germany a long time ago. They used a BMW M5 Getrag MT gearbox with an adapter. But that's a lot of work. Crossfire Nordtruppe - Galerie - Kategorie: Fire Racer

The Crossfire had a first run on streets. But there are still some little electronic problems to solve. The At runs with the AMG M-mode software, so you can switch gears manually, you don't have that delay, and the the engine runs into limiter - so the AT doesn't automatically switch into next gear when reaching the revs for switching. Motortausch V8 - Umbauten, Modifikationen ... - Chrysler-Crossfire-Forum - Das Crossfireforum für Crossfirefans

Regards
Markus

Last edited by bigblock427; 02-05-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Forum Regular

First video of the Crossfire 5.5 V8 AMG conversion from our user evil_deeds ( don't forget to use headphones ):
Chrysler Crossfire V8 55 AMG Umbau | Chrysler Crossfire V8 55 AMG conversion - YouTube

More infos about the conversion (in german language):http://www.chrysler-crossfire-forum....otortausch-v8/

Regards
Markus

Last edited by bigblock427; 02-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427
First video of the Crossfire 5.5 V8 AMG conversion from our user evil_deeds ( don't forget to use headphones ):
Chrysler Crossfire V8 55 AMG Umbau | Chrysler Crossfire V8 55 AMG conversion - YouTube

More infos about the conversion (in german language):Motortausch V8 - Umbauten, Modifikationen ... - Chrysler-Crossfire-Forum - Das Crossfireforum für Crossfirefans

Regards
Markus
Hello Markus,

first it was great to meet you and the other Crossfire owners in Germany. The Mercedes Museum was fantastic!! I hope I can compare some notes with Evil Deeds. It appears he started right off the key with a N/A 55 engine! I would love to know how that was done.

All,

Just to set the record straight, It did not take a year or so to work out any bugs. Once the car started it ran great and I have had no problems at all. I have made some upgrades over time, such as a C43 colling fan and shroud instead of the dual electric fans, and have installed n/a 55 AMG cams into my 500 engine, and added the AMG intake recently as well as shift paddles and blue top solonoids. I also have a set of headers ready to install and a turbo kit in the works.

When I first got the idea of the V8, only Startech/Brabus had done it and they were not being helpful at all. It took about two weeks to figure out mechanically how to do it. I was looking at engines on Ebay and noticed a C43 engine that had exhaust manifolds that looked just like the ones on our V6's. this led me to look at the C43 chassis and I noticed it was pretty much identical to the Crossfire. It then took two more years of research to figure out the wlectronics. After hitting many dead ends, I came up with an unproven therory on how to adapt the V8 ECU to the car. The swap took a weekend, but then it took another month to get it running. It took time to start for two reasons, clogged injectors and trying to figure out the key start issue. We eventually gave up and gave the car a starter button.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

you konw you can do this swap for around $20,000.00 or less mine the finial cost will never be known even by me. as Rudy was removing my v6 and had a amg v8 ready to go in ,,i found a v8 in Canada, I ask rudy to look into getting that engine as it only had 4100 miles on it oh yes forty 0ne hundred now the price went up,, then as the engine was going in , i stopped Rudy and ask for exhaust downpipes with cutouts done by Needswings. done ,, a week later i ask for the valve covers and the manifolds to be teflon coated by needswings also. a week later i wanted a different pully installed,,, also wanted Rudy to sell me his brakes and wheels. well we are now 3 months and i only stopped and or changed things 11 times. Rudy delevered my car to Florida and we drove it like it was stolen. it ran like a top, everything was fine, a few weeks later i took it to the drag strip, and noticed it was a little hotter than i would like ,,now with Rudy,Rob and myself we tried different things, now it runs cooler than any car in Florida. what i an letting you know is you can do a v8 for as little as $10,000. (((doing it your self(unless you count all your labor then the cost will be much more than $20,00.00,,))) but if someone does it for you, your cost could be their minimum , or your changes could make it their max. there is no set price for this swap,, the cost of the engine &all the parts, so you can ask what i paid or what Beamer paid or what Paul paid,, they all will be different and how much it cost Lantanatx,,,we all paid or pay different. with the amount of research and each hour I would say Lantana paid the most.I know when i do a project it always cost me more than if i let a shop do it, but sometimes the satisfaction is worth the extra thousands of dollars just to do it yourself,, jim

now you know the rest of the story

Last edited by amx1397; 02-12-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by amx1397
you know you can do this swap for around $20,000.00 or less mine the finial cost will never be known even by me.
I know the cost of mine even with the few extra thousand difference when exchanging Canadian Dollar to the mighty USD.

One thing I will tell is the masterminds who did all the work on my car would have pocketed more money if they were to work part time at McDonald's for the ~3 months they had posession of my car...

How many V8 projects are in the process by "do it your selfers" and unable to start their car... ... Not me, Not Jim. We just hop in out car, turn the key, and drive away flawlessly.

Lantana, MisterTaz... You are determined people to take on such a task and finish with success! I give a standing ovation for that.

Originally Posted by Eric
Tks for the info any dyno runs on the supercharged v8's?
Mine
http://youtu.be/JU35kokRJEU
http://youtu.be/XJFaHhC60l8

Last edited by Beaner; 02-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Beaner, I think paul's was the first V8 that Paul and Rudy and did. Mr. Taz is paul, but anyway you understand how the cost can change on any item you decide to change and that makes a big difference Jim

Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaner
I know the cost of mine even with the few extra thousand difference when exchanging Canadian Dollar to the mighty USD.

One thing I will tell is the masterminds who did all the work on my car would have pocketed more money if they were to work part time at McDonald's for the ~3 months they had posession of my car...

How many V8 projects are in the process by "do it your selfers" and unable to start their car... ... Not me, Not Jim. We just hop in out car, turn the key, and drive away flawlessly.

Lantana, MisterTaz... You are determined people to take on such a task and finish with success! I give a standing ovation for that.

Mine
V8 Crossfire on Dyno 1 - YouTube
V8 Crossfire on Dyno - YouTube
I hope your not taking a shot at me? Unless there are a few others here who actually tried this? I have a 6spd crossfire, even if I end up going fully aftemarket with the ecu I am still WAY south of 10Gs!
Everyone is into what they are and thats Fine but I never came here and bashed you or anyone for using your retirement to complete their V8 conversion.
I love this site and its members, met alot of great people here, But I hate the B.S. talk. Maybe Im wrong here.... I'm not saying that anyone reading this thread should go rip the Xfire apart and do it, there is alot involved. But I dont feel like turning your nose up to the "do it yourselfers" or people that are mechanically inclined
is right. The autotomatic Xfire converion is proven now, and with the right tools and knowledge its fairly easy. Not writing this to start a war on here but I finally needed to respond.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:03 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
I hope your not taking a shot at me? Unless there are a few others here who actually tried this? I have a 6spd crossfire, even if I end up going fully aftemarket with the ecu I am still WAY south of 10Gs!
Everyone is into what they are and thats Fine but I never came here and bashed you or anyone for using your retirement to complete their V8 conversion.
I love this site and its members, met alot of great people here, But I hate the B.S. talk. Maybe Im wrong here.... I'm not saying that anyone reading this thread should go rip the Xfire apart and do it, there is alot involved. But I dont feel like turning your nose up to the "do it yourselfers" or people that are mechanically inclined
is right. The autotomatic Xfire converion is proven now, and with the right tools and knowledge its fairly easy. Not writing this to start a war on here but I finally needed to respond.
Jimmy,
Beaner is enroute to his out of town gig and hadn't seen this post. I happened to be talking to him while he was driving tonight and I mentioned it to him. Since he cannot get access to the forum for a week, he wanted me to let you know his post was not directed at you personally. He was simply giving props to Rudy and Paul for making the conversion process seamless in every way.
PM me for his cell number if you want to discuss this with him personally.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
PM me for his cell number if you want to discuss this with him personally.
Its all good, No need to go any deeper. I have no animosity. As I said I have a huge respect for this site, and the members especially the ones who have been a huge help to me. We are all on this site for the same reason

Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It wouldn't be right to put down anyone who is breaking new ground and has the ***** to rip a perfectly good engine out of his car and do an unproven swap (manual).

I loved watching the video of the newest running V8 in Germany. I couldn't help notice that is was a n/a engine and started on the first crank. you can actually almost see the key get turned! I sure hope they will give me a clue on how to do that.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
It wouldn't be right to put down anyone who is breaking new ground and has the ***** to rip a perfectly good engine out of his car and do an unproven swap (manual).

I loved watching the video of the newest running V8 in Germany. I couldn't help notice that is was a n/a engine and started on the first crank. you can actually almost see the key get turned! I sure hope they will give me a clue on how to do that.
Lantana you and Jimmy I commend you for doing this yourself, if it was 10 to 20 years earlier in my life I would probably have a hemi in the car instead of a AMG 5.5. and do the work myself. Yes it does take guts to pull the perfectly good engine out and put something in the car, that hasn't really been done to an extent of everybody knowing what to do. Over the years I have changed all my own engines, but now I even have other people change my oil, showing my age, HUH. For anybody that has done this with the 5.5 or the hemi great job keep up the good work Jim

Last edited by amx1397; 02-13-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Forum Regular

There's an answer from evil_deeds concering the cruise control:

Crossfire Motortausch V8 - Seite 4 - Umbauten, Modifikationen ... - Chrysler-Crossfire-Forum - Das Crossfireforum für Crossfirefans

Regards
Markus

Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock427
My car done by Rudy has started by key from day one.

{quote} I was very excited to see the video of you starting the car with the key and it starting on the first turn of the key! I believe you installed the best engine for the Crossfire. The 55 is an awesome engine and the power is just about perfect. We have three Crossfires over here with the 55 Kompressor which maybe too much and are very difficult to keep cool in the summer.,,,,,,,,, lantana I don't know why you made that statement you can see by the YouTube below that my car runs extremely cool and it has the V8 compressor and it also turns 11's when I go down the track the most temperature I get is 175
I also do not have cruise control but I understand that Morison and Rudy are working on that,,
IAT and water temp (2).MPG - YouTube this is the link to YouTube of the temperature of my car.

so now a recap, the V8 komperessor engine, SL 55, transmission, stock TCU, SRT 6 driveshaft and rearend with the wavetrac. my car,s temperature runs 175 and 186 and this is in South Florida 86 to 96° ambient temperature,, with the black top (road) gets as high as 120 degrees you might want to put this information to evl__ deeds jim

Last edited by amx1397; 02-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Forum Regular

Hi,

evil_deeds v8 was put on a dyno and i had the the possiblity to made a short video sequence (choose hd, headphones are recommended).
Enjoy: Crossfireforum - YouTube

Here you'll find more infos about the dynoday at Evotech Motosports (german language):
http://www.chrysler-crossfire-forum....h-ludwigsburg/

Regards
Markus

Last edited by bigblock427; 06-04-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary