Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by kanzus
I run E55 AMG Kompressor ECU, when ordered 55 K harness, it comes without 2 pins kompressor clutch connector. I m little happy because I thought i have full power, and after knowing kompressor is always off, i wonder what is 130 HP more !

Now I have time to fix that, will see running without check engine light and all stuff work 100% wright way.

I have pinout from WIS and ALLDATA and all info needed but pics and more info is welcome.

Thanks for rcompart info, but in which thread he talks about Kompressor wiring please?
Not sure if has written this in a thread but we will now as he is watchhing this thread. Rudy, I hope you can add some help for Karim. Our community owes a lot to him for sharing his build on the V8 thread. His success is what gave me the confidence to rip out my V6

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Not sure if has written this in a thread but we will now as he is watchhing this thread. Rudy, I hope you can add some help for Karim. Our community owes a lot to him for sharing his build on the V8 thread. His success is what gave me the confidence to rip out my V6
Here attached pdf of ECU pinout from 113.990 engine: E 55 AMG Kompressor.
You can see that 1.1 pin is for supercharger clutch, is this signal wire and must wire second to ground ??

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
E 55 AMG Komp 113.990.pdf (229.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Here attached pdf of ECU pinout from 113.990 engine: E 55 AMG Kompressor.
You can see that 1.1 pin is for supercharger clutch, is this signal wire and must wire second to ground ??
These are pdf sheet of fuel injection and ignition system from same engine.

Attached Files
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM

These are pdf sheet of fuel injection and ignition system from same engine.
At the pdf "E 55 AMG Komp 113.990 sheet 2.pdf" you can see that Y2/1 IS SUPERCHARGER MAGNETIC CLUTCH:
- 0.75MM BKPK (black pink) wired to ecu pin 1.1
- 0.75mm RDGN (red green) is wired to Z7/36 ---> what does it mean Z7/36 ?? is it a relay, or gnd point or fuse??? any idea?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

At the pdf "E 55 AMG Komp 113.990 sheet 2.pdf" you can see that Y2/1 IS SUPERCHARGER MAGNETIC CLUTCH:
- 0.75MM BKPK (black pink) wired to ecu pin 1.1
- 0.75mm RDGN (red green) is wired to Z7/36 ---> what does it mean Z7/36 ?? is it a relay, or gnd point or fuse??? any idea?
Karim,

I'd need to see the other PDFs because there is a good chance that Z7/36 is actually a fused +12vdc supply somewhere in the engine harness or in the engine compartment. It would make sense because the relay would close to ground in the RCM to engage the clutch. If you want, you can give me a call or email me. My email is rudy@acceleratedindustries.com and my phone number is 952-681-1000.

Thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Karim,

I'd need to see the other PDFs because there is a good chance that Z7/36 is actually a fused +12vdc supply somewhere in the engine harness or in the engine compartment. It would make sense because the relay would close to ground in the RCM to engage the clutch. If you want, you can give me a call or email me. My email is rudy@acceleratedindustries.com and my phone number is 952-681-1000.

Thanks
Wiring Kompressor RESOLVED !

I've got it!

In the front SAM module and fuse box, the Electromagnetic Clutch is connected at Z7/36 same like these parts:

O2 Sensor left before KAT
O2 sensor right before KAT
Reversing valve manifold
Pressure transducer ARF
Switching valve air pump

So I just have to connect +dcc wire with one of these part for the first clutch pin connector and to ECU 1.1 pin for the second clutch pin connector.

;-)

Old 09-18-2010, 09:48 AM

Well, I now have 10,000 miles on the conversion. One problem that didn't show up until mid july is that the car starts to heat up when sitting in traffic. My dual 12 inch fans are not moving enough air when the outside temps are mid 90's or hotter. I have done some research and found tht our radiator is the same exact radiator that is in the C43, C55 and C500. thos cars use a mechanical clutch fan and dual electric pusher fans in fornt of the condensor. I have decided to duplicate this set up. I have the C43 shroud, fan, and clutch. I am about to go out now and install it. I will move my electric fans to the front as pushers. I will post results latter. I wanted to get this done while it is still hotter than hell here in Texas to make sure I hvae fixed the issue. The car never get hot as long as it is moving so I am hoping this solves it. I did look at pictures of the Startech car's V8 and they are using the same C43 cooling set up.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:03 PM

I got it together and then let the car run for over 30 minutes with the e brake on and the car in drive to simulate sitting in traffic. Temps stayed perfect which is right at the half way point on the guage. I hope this does it as there is so little room it is not all that easy. I did not have enough room to use both electric fans as the condensor is not as wide as the radiator. One 16inch would be perfect. See attached photos.

clearance4.jpg

Tightfit.jpg

Last edited by LantanaTX; 09-18-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats Bob, It was awesome to finally get to see and HEAR her in person! That's one sweet ride.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good work, hope it is problem of the past....

Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

always improving....maybe I should add a fan while sitting in line....then again. if I can get Rudy to do the fan mod on my blue coupe, that would be even better....Rudy, "Have HP will Travel".....kind of guy....

Nice work though in what looks to be tight quarters...

Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
always improving....maybe I should add a fan while sitting in line....then again. if I can get Rudy to do the fan mod on my blue coupe, that would be even better....Rudy, "Have HP will Travel".....kind of guy....

Nice work though in what looks to be tight quarters...
Your standing in line for a V8? that would be great! The 55K also starts getting warm in traffic so this is a required addition to the conversion unless you live in Alaska. It is not a huge problem but I got tired of worrying about it and watching the guage.

I Just got finished driving around town and it hit 101 this afternoon in Dallas. The temp guage was rock solid and sitting right in the middle of the guage. I even got caught in bad traffic where I had to watch a traffic light turn green three times before I made it through. Still no problem. There is some presure on my shroud where the top radiator hose rest against it. It is pushing the shroud down just a bit and is very close to the fan. I am going to try a C43 upper radiator hose.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 09-18-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I am guessing, torquing over doesn't affect the fan shroud at all, or you would have heard something by now....still a great project...Tazz, and Rudy are stopping by on there way to the Dragon meet...can't wait to see this baby....and no, I won't be standing in line...but, I will keep it mind when I am brousing the junk yard for parts...especially now that I know they will fit, and I have Rudy in tow with his knowledge....and I won't forget all that you went through to get there as well....I had another project in mind for awhile, but this makes a lot more sense. I still have a blue coupe to finish, two lsd's to pay for, and then I can dream about a V-8...lol....great work on your part and the other guys....and now, we are seeing some German engineering appearing on the scene...maybe having Buggin serving our country will serve the rest of us some great info as well...lol

Old 01-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very proud to announce that we have a new AMG 55 conversion by evil_deeds running in germany. It's a 55 N/A AMG. Hope we'll get it on the street with german MOT soon. Here's the thread (sorry, german language only)
Motortausch V8 - Umbauten, Modifikationen ... - Chrysler-Crossfire-Forum - Das Crossfireforum für Crossfirefans

Cheers!
Markus

Old 01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427

For those who dont know, if you copy and paste the URL (above link) into a google search, it will give you the option to translate the web page ..

Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool project Markus!

have you gotten it to start using the key yet? Any plans to try this with a manual transmission?

Looking forward to hearing about more progress on this !
Chris

Old 01-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Forum Regular

I have been looking but cant find. how much $ for the V8 supercharged swap and whats the whp and torque.. alot of ppl are asking me questions but i do not know tks

Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric
I have been looking but cant find. how much $ for the V8 supercharged swap and whats the whp and torque.. alot of ppl are asking me questions but i do not know tks
Ive seen the 55k motors for around $5000 used of course. After that there are some nickel and dime purchases you can find earlier in this thread. The hardest part I was told from Bob, if I remember correctly, is the obvious labor involved. Not sure if there is much of a difference between swapping the N/A and the Kompressor motors. Probably just tuning.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Ive seen the 55k motors for around $5000 used of course. After that there are some nickel and dime purchases you can find earlier in this thread. The hardest part I was told from Bob, if I remember correctly, is the obvious labor involved. Not sure if there is much of a difference between swapping the N/A and the Kompressor motors. Probably just tuning.
What's the compleat price including labor tune everything?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric
What's the compleat price including labor tune everything?
Bob paid $1600 for the engine and sold his V6 for $800. Spent $900 for the Mercedes SDS system and about $1200 for parts. So he spent about $3000. The price for the 55K is more so Probably a little bit over $6000 figuring all the same but with a $5000 motor.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary