Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Received 609 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Hey guys,

Don't waste your time replying to Teck-9, as he's just a typical teenager, all sorts of ambitions, but not enough drive to actually do anything.

Let him read the whole thread if he wants to research what it will take to accomplish a project of this scale.

BC.
What? Were you born 35 and incredibly smart? Uppity people hang out on the Bimmer and Porsche forums. We're mostly average Joes here.

Let the kid ask questions. Most teenagers know everything. A rare one comes along and asks questions? Kinda refreshing actually.

Perhaps his mistake is in thinking you might know something.

roadster with a stick

Old 11-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I decided that I am going to slap an E55 Kompressor in my SRT. It should be an easy install. The only thing holding me back right now is finding someone that wants to do an even steven swap on engines. Please let me know if you are interested. Only serious inquiries, and the E55 Kompressor must be in perfect working order with less than 5k miles. LOL

Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Hey guys,

Don't waste your time replying to Teck-9, as he's just a typical teenager, all sorts of ambitions, but not enough drive to actually do anything.

Let him read the whole thread if he wants to research what it will take to accomplish a project of this scale.

BC.
Hey, don't be so hard on teenagers, I was one once I guess. It was a good time but it didn't last too long.
Remember youth is wasted on the young.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love finding out more about these cars. and buying an SRT-6 is not a cheaper option for me. My father bought me my Crossfire. He told me he wouldn't get me an SRT-6. He said if I want to go faster, I would have to mod it myself like he did when he was my age. He told me "you don't buy lego sets already built cuz its no fun that way." I am also very sentimentally attached to #13437. Cars like that deserve respect, I won't just trade em around like nothing. My goal is to have it on Woodward when I am your age and be able to say it was my first car and I put time into it for 10 20 30 40 years. I'm sorry if my stupidity offends you BC, but I don't know where else to go to fix it. So right now I want a starter project and I am curious what is simpler and cheaper. V8 or AMG 32 swap? I found a great site with lots of great info and great pictures. http://www.slk32.com/

Last edited by Teck-9; 12-01-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Received 967 Likes on 754 Posts

Why is it a 19 year old asks (what might be) an odd question and gets snapped at...

Then I, a 49 years old, asks (what is often) an odd question and the thread turns into joking, picking and teasing?

Must be my cute ........................................... face?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM

What effects top speed more, hp or torque?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teck-9
What effects top speed more, hp or torque?
Horsepower is defined as work done over time.
Torque is a measure of how much a force acting on an object causes that object to rotate.
Speed is the rate of motion, or equivalently the rate of change of distance.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

torque isn't just a force, it's force x lever arm (perpendicular distance from axis of rotation to line of action of force) and is measured in ft x lb (or NM; 1 Newton x Meter = 1 Joule, a unit of work). That's why you may hear a stroker makes torque, because you are increasing the lever arm of the engine. Horsepower as we know it is torque as a function of RPM, its just a number; 1 horsepower is 746 ft x lb per s. Having said that, top speed would technically depend on both, but horsepower would theoretically determine the top speed, as the engine would need to achieve a certain RPM to make the wheels achieve a certain RPM.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ok, not to pick on the youngster...but Teck-9, your handle is scary at your age btw...here goes, an old guy story...short but to the point...at 19, I traded, yes everyone, traded a '69 Z-28 for a '71 big block Camaro...limited production mind you. It ran grt right out of the box, and tighed1, it was blue. I immediately if not sooner, said, I need more hp. Put on a high rise intake, new holley carb, headers, wires, accel ignition. To do this, I was working in hardware store by day, and a performance shop at night. The shop built chassis for pro stock..no engines, just chassis. So, no help there. I put cragar all the way around. 3" up front, 10" in the rear, traction bars were added. My car took all my money. I still had to pay for it. It was a lot of money back then. I was doing fine until I went to the internals. That was costly, and made the car undependable. This was my daily driver. I immediately broke a valve keeper, causing all kinds of damage to the motor, I didn't learn there, I destroyed 3 more short blocks in my street racing career. Finally the performance shop owner, Norm Paddock, stepped in, talked me into a small block chevy motor...'70 LT-1 motor...I quit racing...not before spending 3 times what I paid for the car, riding my motorcycle everywhere, rain or shine, warm or cold, 'cause it was my only transportation. I wish I had that stock 396 Chevy Camaro today, just as it was...priceless.. so, start out slow teck-9, don't make your daily driver something that it is not...enjoy taking your girlfriends for a ride, mine left me when I spent too much time under the hood...enjoy life, cars will always be there...

Old 12-01-2009, 11:57 PM

If anyone finds a salvage e55.. point me in its direction

Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 AM

well, its not my daily driver and i will never be in a relationship so really, what i take from your advice is that it gets costly really quick cuz of unpredictability and damage potential. im tryin not to let advice go in one ear and out the other like the teenage impulse tells me to. I think I will start out slow though with some auto classes at my college. even though im goin into criminal justice. i have an auto tech this term. my goal for the near future is 350 hp. oh and im not sure what "handle" implies.

Last edited by Teck-9; 12-02-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How's everyone doing? I have been without a computer for a few days. It got some nasty virus and I just got it back from the Geeks tonight. I enjoyed catching up on the thread.

Tech, my first car was a '69 Mustang that I bought in 1976. While mine was a Mach 1, I counldn't afford the 428CJ and had to settle for a 351 Windsor with a four speed. Modding the Windsor motor was very rewarding back then, so I got a 351 Cleveland from a junk yard and learned how to build a race motor. That was my first swap. I worked for the Super Shops back then which helped pay for parts at employee discount.

Just before my computer went psycho I did manage to buy a videa camera so i should soon have video up with sound this time. I am planning on taking the car to the North Texas Crossfire GTG this Saturday. I just hope I have time to wash it first.

On the SLK32 engine. It would make sense if you can get the engine cheap enough. You would still want the harness and ECU. The engine and harness can be SRT or SLK32, but knowing waht I know know, I believe the computer would have to be from an SLK32 and not an SRT. This is because the SRT ECU has a different part number than the SLK32 and the STAR DAS system probably won't recognize the SRT ECU since it was never used in a MB. You need DAS to recognize the computer inorder to code it to the car.

While I may now be fifty, I still like to dream as a teenager so here goes: Get a V6 Kompressor engine and sell the supercharger for a good price. In place of the s.c put on the n/a intake manifold and stick a turbo where the muffler is.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copart

Originally Posted by Infinite
If anyone finds a salvage e55.. point me in its direction

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM

i've known about copart
right now their selection is thin

Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I can tell you they are out there to be found, you just have to keep an eye out for them.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Handle=tech9....lol.....

Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Handle=tech9....lol.....
LOL Rookies

Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM

youngsters......I know, I have 3 of them, although they are getting older...

Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
youngsters......I know, I have 3 of them, although they are getting older...
That is only because you are becoming ancient LOL

Now buy some eibachs or konis and give me your SRT springs, I need another winter project

Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

got my first kill tonight on the way home from Krause's shop. It was a new Challenger RT not sure what engine he had but it was definitely a V8 from the sound of him revving me off at the light. I got out on him pretty good and when i let up he got a fender out in front of me before nailed it again and put him away a second time. i am sure my car surprised him.

I will be at the Hooters in Arlington tomorrow for the Crossfire GTG if anyone can make it out.I have my new video camera and will try to get some video tomorrow as well. The video with sound should be on you tube by tomorrow night.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary