Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
So who is going to be next to shoehorn in a V8? Anyone wanna step up the game?

09 Mercedes Benz C63 6.2L V8 AMG Engine Swap M156 W204:eBay Motors (item 360210406046 end time Dec-22-09 06:02:47 PST)

hahahaha. I would love to see this...

It's name would have to be SRT63 (and if you own a black car why not call it a SRT63 Black Series)

DSC05821-1.jpg
LOL

PS I found a wrecked 2003 S55 up for auction that's going for $5,200

Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teck-9
To correct you, AMG 63. I am looking for a 5.4L V8. Good enough for the SLR, good enough for me. I have located a 2002 CLK 55 AMG Engine pulling 342 hp just N/A with 66,000 miles for $2500.00. Will sell my old engine to get most of the money back. I plan to do most of the physical work my self and then find an expert in ECU programming. With a (twin) turbo it should get the hp over 500 which on these well-made cars will push it to 60 in the high 3's to low 4's and bring the top speed to well over 200 mph. This is enough to defeat any Ferrari or Lamborghini. Save for the 599, Enzo, Reventon, and LP's. But those are not far away.

Why waste the time/money to swap in and boost a motor that's not built for boost? I guess it would make sense if you have a base Crossfire.............but if you have an SRT you'd be swapping in a bigger/heavier engine that makes less power than a stock SRT-6. In either case if you were to go with the 55k motor you would be swapping in a hand built motor that is already boosted(with at least 469bhp) and will last a very long time..............and can be easily modded to make 5-600rwhp.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2002 CLK 55 AMG puts out 342hp. SRT-6 = 330

Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SLK32 / SRT6 = 349hp

Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The 2002 CLK 55 AMG puts out 342hp. SRT-6 = 330
On paper. In real life, no difference between the C32 and SLK32 which is 349.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Hey Lantana how is the car running?

We are going to the 1/4 mile track in Crandall next sun(not this weeked but the next) if you want to come and test that bad boy out.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM

I am after instant gratification right now. I can always get a pricier engine later on. Plus, there are several SRT-6's. What are there--like 4 V8 Crossfires in the world? I still would think that the mod capability for the 8 is better than the 6. I don't see why it couldn't be supercharger later. As long as it is an AMG. I am courious though, for someone who is good at calculating things, how much horsepower can be had before one must replace the stock N/A transmission?

Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am after instant gratification right now. I can always get a pricier engine later on. Plus, there are several SRT-6's. What are there--like 4 V8 Crossfires in the world? I still would think that the mod capability for the 8 is better than the 6. I don't see why it couldn't be supercharger later. As long as it is an AMG. I am courious though, for someone who is good at calculating things, how much horsepower can be had before one must replace the stock N/A transmission?
I'd go with as much motor as you can afford or hold off until you can afford the motor you want. If you do the 5.0 now and want to put the SC on it later, that is a possibilty but you will have a lot to figure out. Also, the AMG engine have higher compression ratios which means not as much boost can used. If you plan on doing a SC or turbo in the future, stick to the regular mercedes 4.3L or 5.0L If you want raw, anabaited power, save your pennies until you can drop in a 55ML Kompressor motor (Not the ML55 AMG engine which is actually an NA)

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Basically anything but the naturally aspirated E55 AMG?

Old 11-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I am thinking 350 blown Chevy, B&M Auto, 9 bolt Ford rear end.....tubed and channel'd....would you guys still allow me to call it a XF....lol

Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I am thinking 350 blown Chevy, B&M Auto, 9 bolt Ford rear end.....tubed and channel'd....would you guys still allow me to call it a XF....lol
good luck with the "9-bolt"

Last edited by downwardspiral; 11-25-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am liking that idea. Hmmm.... probably have to get a coupe. I don't think there is enough room in the back to for all that, and still leave room to put the top down.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, I have been out of town since Sunday and just wrote up a big update but somehow deleted it before I was able to post it. Long story short, is that forget what I wrote about the the ML ECU's maybe working. Right now we are looking at the inconsistant starting which starts easily sometimes and up to four cranks sometimes. We don't believe this is related to the swap but rather probabaly a cam sensor (we already swaped the crank sensor) the cam or crank sensor wiring or the ECU. We will be able to eliminate the ECU as the problem when the replacement arrives. We will check the wiring with an OHM meter and I will change the cam sensor with the one from my V6 if needed. This type of problem isn't very suprising if you consider the donor engine sat around for 7 years after getting totaled out in a wreck.

The only probelem with using a start button is that we also lose the cruise control. It comes down to the fact that the R170 is the only Mercedes chassis to send the start signal to the ECU through a standard 50 circut and use the Bosch ME2.8 ECU. All other MB's that use the ME2.8 ECU send the start signal and cruise control through the CAN. I found this strange becuase the na Crossfire ECU is used in every MB that had a V6 which leads me to believe that the operations of the pins changes with different varient coding. We haven't given up on getting it to start from the key and have some pretty smart people trying to figure this out which inlcude Beckmann, Krausse, Rudy and Karim.

If you don't need cruise control and don't mind a starter button, then this swap is pretty much proven and actually operates the same way as the Brabus/Startech V8 which also uses a starter button and does not have cruise control. I don't think this is a big deal, but I like the challenge of finding a better solution. I am looking at three possible solutions and will be updated when we find something that works.

Here is a cool picture of a 430 engine with supercharger and a ML55 AMG engine cover. I like this engine cover when using a turbo. I enjoyed reading the ideas related to choice of V8. I went cheap becuase I didn't know if this could be done. Knowing what I know now, go with all you can afford but don't worry if you don't have a ton of cash as the 430 and 500 are well suited for a turbo over even the factory supercharger. There are now three V8 Crossfires with two of them in Germany and one in the USA.

Keep in mind to that when I sort out these last two issues my car is not done. It will just be at a new starting point. With the exception of the two other V8's I am pretty sure I have one of the very very few na Crossfires with a unmodified engine that can fry the tires at will from a roll. When you guys are loooking at HP don't forget about torque. The stock 500 engine has more torque than the SRT and when you combine this with the better gearing of the na you will notice a big difference. FYI, for you guys with lots of money, get the 55Kompressor and add SLR cams, headers, and a pulley and tune and put a Needs Wings intake on it while you are at it.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-25-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 PM

Lantana, you are an inspiration to us all. Since you are so good at this, I suggest that your next project be a 4-matic transmission swap. See if you can make the Crossfire AWD!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:11 AM

Hey Lantana, I think I should just start with an SLK 32 AMG transplant cuz I'm not that experienced yet and they still go over 180 mph right? My question to you is do you really think that the gearing in the N/A is better? Is that transmission better? In the end, can my N/A tranny take an AMG / SRT-6 engine? Can I just drop one in?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM

slow down there young fellar....don't blow a gasket....you need to read thru a whole lot of threads on here....what lantana has done hasn't been easy at all, and he has a lot of grt support in the technical field. That is why an old motor head like me mentioned the old school set in earlier post. There isn't anything easy about what he's done unless you have the knowledge and support behind you. The stock rear end in an N/A is 3.27, while in an SRT, it is 3.07. This is common knowledge on this forum. Read thru all of this thread and see the trials and tribulations he has gone thru....lantana has been grt about sharing his experience here, but it isn't as easy as he makes it sound. You will need to assemble yourself a grt team. Just my .02, but I have enjoyed the ride all the way thru, and will enjoy it more as he now looks for more HP out of his new set up. This is indeed a "one of kind" deal going on here, and I think the start of others trying the same thing...just a reminder to do your homework before being disapointed.

Last edited by oledoc2u; 11-29-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 539 Likes on 367 Posts

slow down there young fellar....don't blow a gasket.......
......LOL

Old 11-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts

Hey Lantana, I think I should just start with an SLK 32 AMG transplant cuz I'm not that experienced yet and they still go over 180 mph right? My question to you is do you really think that the gearing in the N/A is better? Is that transmission better? In the end, can my N/A tranny take an AMG / SRT-6 engine? Can I just drop one in?
My wife's '66 Mustang is sitting in my garage, it's sat there for thirty three years, and my son intends to " just drop in" a V8, now that's do-able. Dropping a SRT-6 engine into the Xfire is do-able, getting it to run is another story.
I'll repeat what others have said many many times before, if you want a SRT-6 go out and buy one. Save yourself a lot of hassle and money.
Any way I think six or eight cylinders is kinda poky, what I have in mind is at least ten cylinders maybe twelve. I've got my eyes on a nice ........

Old 11-29-2009, 06:11 PM

.........lol>>>>>>.......

Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

Don't waste your time replying to Teck-9, as he's just a typical teenager, all sorts of ambitions, but not enough drive to actually do anything.

Let him read the whole thread if he wants to research what it will take to accomplish a project of this scale.

BC.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary