Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

I think the 55 kompressor wil fit under the stock hood but not absolutely sure. Someone needs to take some measurments of the engine to make sure and compare to the measurments of a n/a engine. It might be more cost effective to turbo a n/a V8. I have done the math and it looks like a turbo will put me around 480 which is real close to the 55K and if I lower the compression and raise the boost to 13 - 15lbs it would be a little over 600HP which is right there with the SLR engine (and that is before nitrous ). There is no replacement for dispacement!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the guys I went to the track with week before last has an E55. Man... what a sweet car. Even sweeter because it was black. It amazed me that he ran a 12.47 on a track with bad prep., no mods, and street tires. That is pretty good for such a heavy chunk of metal.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

This may be pushing it a bit too far, but how's this for an option??? Would it fit??

MERCEDES V12 TWIN TURBO ENGINE 4500 MILES 500-650 HP!:eBay Motors (item 170403877933 end time Nov-16-09 20:31:44 PST)

With a good tune, these beasts can make 1000LBFT of torque....

Old 11-16-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bmorgan
One of the guys I went to the track with week before last has an E55. Man... what a sweet car. Even sweeter because it was black. It amazed me that he ran a 12.47 on a track with bad prep., no mods, and street tires. That is pretty good for such a heavy chunk of metal.
Wow nice time for a big four door family car that has a curb weight of 4087lbs!! Does make you wonder what a Crossfire would do with almost a 1000 pounds less weight.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Wow nice time for a big four door family car that has a curb weight of 4087lbs!! Does make you wonder what a Crossfire would do with almost a 1000 pounds less weight.
I've seen E55 go very low 11s off the bottle... umm... that is very low 10s in a crossfire with the same HP...goo

Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
I've seen E55 go very low 11s off the bottle... umm... that is very low 10s in a crossfire with the same HP...goo
Now that would be permagrin.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Glad to hear. If there is demand Beckmann is considering offering ECU's already coded for this conversion so he doesn't have to spend hours on remote access in STAR DAS which isn't is regualr line of work. He told me he will definetley support at least two more conversions and maybe more if he can offer pre-coded ECU's. Even with coded ECU's there is still Immobilization programing that has to be done on the car. For those who want the set up and want it all done for them, Krause is willing to do the whole job for you. They wanted to make sure I could drive my car and learn what we need to know before commiting to helping others do it.
I would be interested(in the future) if he could set it up for the E55k motor.............that's what I'd like to swap into my crossfire in a few years.

PS I have a S55k complete motor(with a big hole in the block) sitting at my shop right now. I don't think it's any different from the 55k motors in any of the other cars(E-Class included) and would be great for measurements.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
I would be interested(in the future) if he could set it up for the E55k motor.............that's what I'd like to swap into my crossfire in a few years.

PS I have a S55k complete motor(with a big hole in the block) sitting at my shop right now. I don't think it's any different from the 55k motors in any of the other cars(E-Class included) and would be great for measurements.
Please measure away. When measuring, please try to use a central point on the engine that the measurements can be duplicated with. I would recommend using a yard stick and a compass and measure everything off the crank recording the length and angle that the measurement was taken at so that regardless of what is there or not on the engine being measured, the numbers will be accurate regardless and this will very reproducible.

Thank you

Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by rcompart
Please measure away. When measuring, please try to use a central point on the engine that the measurements can be duplicated with. I would recommend using a yard stick and a compass and measure everything off the crank recording the length and angle that the measurement was taken at so that regardless of what is there or not on the engine being measured, the numbers will be accurate regardless and this will very reproducible.

Thank you

Ok, maybe I won't be making any measurements. lol. I don't have a yardstick or a compass...................I have a tapemeasure and a pen though.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moparrbust
Ok, maybe I won't be making any measurements. lol. I don't have a yardstick or a compass...................I have a tapemeasure and a pen though.
Well that will do just fine. LOL Sorry for being picky when I should have been applauding your generosity to do this for us.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:44 PM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Congrats BOB!!! We need to meet up before Cars & Coffee for a little side by side comparison of your new V8 against a slightly modded SRT6…That would be fun!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKFIN
Congrats BOB!!! We need to meet up before Cars & Coffee for a little side by side comparison of your new V8 against a slightly modded SRT6…That would be fun!!!
Give it a month or two.. as soon as he perfects it, than adds some goodies look out... R.I.P srt's
on another note.. anyone think a V8 can be added to the 6spd? is it even possible not only to bolt up but tune with the M.B. DAS program? That would be amazing. I asked before but no one really answered, now that he made this huge hurdle in cracking the M.B. code, maybe is not so crazy?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
Give it a month or two.. as soon as he perfects it, than adds some goodies look out... R.I.P srt's
on another note.. anyone think a V8 can be added to the 6spd? is it even possible not only to bolt up but tune with the M.B. DAS program? That would be amazing. I asked before but no one really answered, now that he made this huge hurdle in cracking the M.B. code, maybe is not so crazy?
I don't think it's time to give up on the SRT's but yes, with a few hop-ups, he'll be right there!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
Would be nice. I'm sure we could have a lot more fun in our 6-speeds than an auto V8.

The only thing I wouldn't be sure of is whether our clutch or tranny would hold up to that much more hp/torque.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Just want to be clear that I love all Crossfires and didn't build this to beat SRT's. I would rather blow everything else off the road and make them scrared to death of SRT's after what happened to them after picking on a n/a car That said, the next mods will include beefing up the trans (got some cool info on that), CLK55 rear end with a Quaife diff. and enough forced induction to scare me.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm old school lantana, and learning from you young guns, but in my day, working in Norm Paddock's shop, we were putting big block chevy's in vega's with tubed, tubbed chassis...torgue over rpms, then it went the other way for awhile, small blocks super rpms...either way, light car, HP, Cu In, torque, front wheel lift and away you go....just hope the rear end holds...by the way, we were running gas class with the above mentioned cars, Norm ran the famous Opel Gt with a hemi...this all lead to the Pro Stock class of today...little history....

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I'm old school lantana, and learning from you young guns, but in my day, working in Norm Paddock's shop, we were putting big block chevy's in vega's with tubed, tubbed chassis...torgue over rpms, then it went the other way for awhile, small blocks super rpms...either way, light car, HP, Cu In, torque, front wheel lift and away you go....just hope the rear end holds...by the way, we were running gas class with the above mentioned cars, Norm ran the famous Opel Gt with a hemi...this all lead to the Pro Stock class of today...little history....
I don't think you are that much older because we were doing the same thing with the Vegas and Pinto's. I was racing a B Super Modified '69 Mustang in the latter '70's and in '79 moved on to a A Econo Altered. My altered was an ex AA fuel altered driven by Walt Mears. In the sixties the car was nickmamed the Fontana Terror. The bottom of the push bar was ground down at a 45 degree angle from doing wheel stands. That car had a rat motor with a 2 speed power glide. I was mostly a Ford guy and our engine of choice was the 351C but Pro Stock which we all aspired to, was using small blocks at that time but that was becasue NHRA had indexed the big blocks were the weight penalty made them uncompetitive. Latter they changed that and back came the mountain motors.

I saw some information that suggests using SLR shift solinoids to get the line pressure up and that my gear set could be used in the V8 trans. Also Southern Hot Rod is building the same 722.6 trans for use behind built Hemi's. It appears that the only difference between the V6 and V8 trans is the size of the clutch paks, but thanks to the hemi's these transmissions are getting built up.

By using the CLK55 rear end and axles I should have a bullit proof rear end and the quaife torque sensing diff is available for that rear end. before i change anything, i will see what the stock stuff can handle when I have the cash for the new parts.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-17-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

did you ever make the trip to the Nat'ls at what was then Raceway Park? I was usually in the pits w/ Norm....I worked 2 jobs, 1 for the camaro, and 1 for me...lol....finally, gave up and moved on...just drove nice cars, wouldn't open a hood for a long time except to change the oil...had kids, more and different hobbies...but always included the need for speed...its fun getting back to playing with cars again...I know you are on the right track, and hopefully find some tricks for us in the tranny...and yes, I think that rear end will hold up....you are building a potential monster car with the modern technology...

Old 11-17-2009, 08:34 PM

I got some quickie measurements off the S55k motor today............

length at it's widest(with pipes and pulleys) 31.5''

width near top(coil packs/wires were widest point) 29.5''

width from exhaust manifold to manifold collector 29''

height from top of transmission bellhousing to top of intake manifolds 11.5''

height from top of valve cover(highest point) to top of intake manifolds 5.75''

I will get more dimensions and exact dimensions in the future. I asked to buy the motor off my boss and he's considering it..............but also said I can borrow it to do all the test fitting I please and bring it back(if he gets a better offer from someone else to buy it).

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Forum Regular

Clutches are definately the weakest link. You should have no problems upgrading them.
I know this is a little late but I found Miller tools will rent DRBIII Tool with Crossfire card for $150 for three days.

https://techauthority.gltghosting.co...0051&langId=-1

Last edited by ChuckNorris; 11-18-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary