Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by rcompart
I called Robert today but he wasn't in so I had them take a message to call me back so I didn't get to bounce anything off him to see if there was anything else that was being overlooked or a work around that is more permanent than a separate button. I'll try him again tomorrow.
Thanks Rudy, i stopped there this afternoon and Robert said his brain was fried and needed to take a break and think things through some more.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 AM

DAY 758 (since first post)

Today's plan:

This has been a busy morning picking brains! Robert Kraus and I have been in contact this morning with Rudy (Rcompart), Marty Vellozzi of LMV Industries (He trains MB mechanics all over th country), and Bob Beckmann. We believe we have either a CAN problem or ECU probelm. Since the CAN worked fine before and that fact that the ECU was involved in a violent rearend collision and fire and then sat around for seven years and maybe got moisture in it, I am betting on the ECU. As a plan B I found a great deal on a replacement ECU this morning on Ebay and bought it.

today we are going to put my ECU in another Benz and program it to that car and see if the car starts. doing this has two benfits. 1 we will know if the ECU is good and 2. puting the ECU in another car will reset the key turns we have left before it automatically locks. We are not worried about losing the coding we have as that has all been copied and can easily put back in my ECU or the replacement ECU I have coming. If we have to use the replacement ECU, it will need to be sent to Beckmann to be unlocked which means I am looking at late next week before the project is 100% finished.

We are thinking that we may take the car for a drive today if we have any time left over.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
DAY 758 (since first post)
We are thinking that we may take the car for a drive today if we have any time left over.
Yes, please - and don't forget to make a little video

Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think I ever had that kind of patience to start a 2 yr project...good luck, watching and learning

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know if I can absorb a video of a Crossfire driving down the road with a V8. Break it to us slowly. How about a sound clip first. Then a video of the car running with the hood up. Finally and after plenty of suspense a video burning rubber in the parking lot!

Les

Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
I don't know if I can absorb a video of a Crossfire driving down the road with a V8. Break it to us slowly. How about a sound clip first. Then a video of the car running with the hood up. Finally and after plenty of suspense a video burning rubber in the parking lot!

Les
I will do all three! today I got too busy with work and Robert Krause had to spend the day working the front office because his office manager had to be with his wife who is undergoing chemo therapy. So I did get a chance to take it for a spin. The new ECU and MAF sensor are on its way. The car should be all done and just like OEM sometime next week. i will try to get the videos done. I am way beyond anxious!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM

That would be great! Sensory overload is likely if you skip a step and give us the full dose all at once. Weak hearts could fail. But I'm looking forward to it. (I've got a good heart)

Les

Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM

tooo funny....hell, I got a woody watching a '65 black light'em up...now a XF v-8....I think I'm ready

Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Woody has a 65? Does he know?

Les

Old 11-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
tooo funny....hell, I got a woody watching a '65 black light'em up...
watching the eurocharged sl65 light em up on the track was incredible...

watching it break on the track...crap...guess thats what 1000lb/ft will do for it.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Not much news today. The new and correct MAF sensor arrived today and I dropped it off at the shop. We had hoped that a Mercedes that uses the Bosch ME2.8 would come in today so that we can test my ECU in another car to just to be 100% sure we have an ECU problem. While the engine starts by turning the key to on and jumping the starter it doesn't start very easy. This is becuase the crank sensor and cam sensor have to sync. This is a learning process that the ECU should only have to learn once but the ECU is not learning and saving this which points again to a glitch in the ECU. I am sure I will having it running properly in the near future and have started to think about engine mods. I would like to do headers, cams and forced induction. I am wondering if I lose any hood clearance with a factory supercharger? I have no hood clearance left and almost no room left over between the engine and cooling fans.

I was reading about some cam specs in MBworld am considering n/a 55 cams or 55K or even SLR cams. the other option getting some ground by Elgin. The n/a 55 cams actuall have more lift but just a little less duration than the 55 Kompressor cams. If I go with a supercharger or turbo the SLR cams look like the hot ticket.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM

got to love it, haven't got it on the road yet, and you are already creating more hp....that's a motorhead....it's pretty bad when you want to make a change, the car says, no...not today...makes you want to hang a programmer...lol....but you guys are all gaining on it....moparrbust will make you hood, go for it...lol

Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM

got to love it, haven't got it on the road yet, and you are already creating more hp....that's a motorhead....it's pretty bad when you want to make a change, the car says, no...not today...makes you want to hang a programmer...lol....but you guys are all gaining on it....moparrbust will make you hood, go for it...lol
I have thought along that getting the car running as though it was OEM would just be my new base line. Since I have some waiting time, I can't help but to start thinking about how to get the HP as close to 450-500 at the wheels as possible. I will need to have forced induction to get there but am now starting worry about space. If you saw this install in person you would quickly see that I didn't waste any space! That is why I am wondering about a supercharger and if it requires more space that a n/a engine. I am also considering a STS rear mount turbo but even then I have to get that air up to the throttle body. Both existing V8 Crossfires in Germany are n/a.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM

from the SC version I have seen, you may need to bump the hood up some, but other than that, and cooling mods....is there anything else that wouldn't fit....it will come down to whether you need to reinforce the rear end from flexing under all that torque...lol
it reminds me of the time we put a 454 chevy in a '68 firebird...left the stock rear end in...it didn't last long....lol

Old 11-10-2009, 01:26 PM

Lantana,

Saw this on mbworld.org and thought I would just post it up for you

Just an idea...

Feeler: FS W211 E55K motor, Tranny & ECU - MBWorld.org Forums

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Lantana,

Saw this on mbworld.org and thought I would just post it up for you

Just an idea...

Feeler: FS W211 E55K motor, Tranny & ECU - MBWorld.org Forums
You guys in Minnisota checking this out? I think with lots of patience you could find a better deal. The n/a 55's are pretty reasonable and a supercharger could be added latter.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM

from the SC version I have seen, you may need to bump the hood up some, but other than that, and cooling mods....is there anything else that wouldn't fit....it will come down to whether you need to reinforce the rear end from flexing under all that torque...lol
it reminds me of the time we put a 454 chevy in a '68 firebird...left the stock rear end in...it didn't last long....lol
If you aren't breaking parts you are not going fast enough! right? I already have plans for the trans and rear end if needed. for the rear end I like the C55 with a torsen posi. but for now I like the idea of the n/a's 3.27 ratio combined with lots of torque in a pretty light car.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM

This may be a great deal! Engine and Transmission! I thought I stole my engne but this is even a better deal. The nice thing about the ML engines is they come with the oil cooler next to the oil filter as seen on all AMG engines. I would suggest that anyone considering a motor to also get the VIN and run a car fax if possible. It will help to validate the engine/miles latter on.

98-06 Mercedes-Benz ML-500 ENGINE/TRANSMISSION AMG :eBay Motors (item 220505270416 end time Nov-10-09 16:55:32 PST)

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-10-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
You guys in Minnisota checking this out? I think with lots of patience you could find a better deal. The n/a 55's are pretty reasonable and a supercharger could be added latter.
Looked at it but not for that price. LOL the guy is pretty much out of his gourd if he thinks he'll get that in this economy but more power to him.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Rudy, Look at the one right above your last post. Get a car fax and make him through in the ECU and trans module.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 11-10-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary