Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Lantana, would it be possible to swap all VIN encoded modules(including the key/ignition switch) from the donor car and not have to deal with any programming?
I found a 2007 SL550 that is being auctioned off tomorrow...

Last edited by ChuckNorris; 10-29-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it running?????? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!

Salu2.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
Lantana, would it be possible to swap all VIN encoded modules(including the key/ignition switch) from the donor car and not have to deal with any programming?
Yes that is possible and that is how I understand that the second V8 crossfire was done. This is also my plan B if I end up needing to do that. you may have to swap the dash in addition to every single module and ignition switch. You would also have to use the transmission as well. you can program the rear ratio axle and tire sizes relatively easily.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by DeepSurge
Is it running?????? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!

Salu2.
I WISH!! We waited for this guy to show up with the DRBIII and he never showed. Our friend Ferris is willing to bring the system to use after hours but needs to have it at work the next morning. Robert Krause hasn't wanted to stay late to do this. I can't blame him as he has a family waiting on him. Robert did spend quite a bit of time on the car today checking all the wiring. Kanzus sent me an email about how he had the same problem and got his car to run after correcting a wiring problem. the reason for this is that there are some differences in the V8 harness and it has to be altered. Robert Krause used the Crossfire wiring diagrams and the V8 harness diagrams to confirm the work my uncle and I did. I was hoping he would find a screw up that we could just fix and start the car. but unfortunately all of our wiring was done correctly!

Kanzus, if you are reading this, the drive authorization in the ECU is "OK" but we cannot get into EZS drive authorization to check the SKREEM module. This is why we think we need the DRBIII. I really believe we that we have faults in there that need to be cleared. But you cannot clear codes unless you can communicate with it. Robert did mention that he really likes this swap and may consider doing it for others once we learn everything we need to make it work. I told him I would give him the mechanical recipe if there are guys that want a V8 but would prefer a good shop to to do it. I have spent so much time in the shop that I have gotten a real good feel for the people and how they operate. If I couldn't do my own work this would be the place I would get my car fixed. I have been impressed with how they treat thier customers and how hard they try to keep prices reasonable.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
One more note: If you go this route your car will think it is a SL550 If you live in a state where you get inspections like here in Texas, they hook up to the OBDII port. When they do this they will get a suprise. You could tell them it is a SL550 with the Crossfire body kit Or you could could wire in a couple of hidden switches that make it impossible for them to read from the OBDII port. If they can't get a read they are required to input the car's VIN manually into their system. So you should still pass inspection.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular

Don't have to worry about inspections here in Alabama. If they ever inspected cars here about 75% of them would probably fail. Thanks for the info, I'm sure you'll get your V8 finished soon. I just noticed the SL550 I found has the 7 speed auto in it. There is a good chance that the brakes and rear differential may swap as well.

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
One more note: If you go this route your car will think it is a SL550 If you live in a state where you get inspections like here in Texas, they hook up to the OBDII port. When they do this they will get a suprise. You could tell them it is a SL550 with the Crossfire body kit Or you could could wire in a couple of hidden switches that make it impossible for them to read from the OBDII port. If they can't get a read they are required to input the car's VIN manually into their system. So you should still pass inspection.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 AM

I WISH!! We waited for this guy to show up with the DRBIII and he never showed. .
Darn it!!!!!!!

Robert did mention that he really likes this swap and may consider doing it for others once we learn everything we need to make it work. I told him I would give him the mechanical recipe if there are guys that want a V8 but would prefer a good shop to to do it. I have spent so much time in the shop that I have gotten a real good feel for the people and how they operate. If I couldn't do my own work this would be the place I would get my car fixed. I have been impressed with how they treat thier customers and how hard they try to keep prices reasonable.
Hope that idea comes to fruition. ...Lantana, you have my respect and admiration....making others people dreams a reality..... Best of luck on this final push.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Yesterday was another day of nothing happened. The guy who keeps promising to bring us the DRBIII no showed again and so Robert gave up on him and decided he would work after hours with the help of Ferris (Ssowardcustoms). Ferris is off today but will go into work today and get the DRBII from the Crossfire tech and get it to us. Thanks Ferris! This is really going the extra mile or about 20 extra miles. I hope you guys will continue to support Ferris if you need a good deal on parts. That reminds me,,,, I need the bin that replaces the cup holder...

Well we are hoping to figure out what is going on today. On thing we did try yesterday is leaving the key on for an hour per the manual incase the SKREEM was locked. No luck. As a plan B maybe one of you electronics engineers could look at the schematics and see if you can figure a way around the anti-theft system.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Forum Regular

Ferris is a damn cool guy. Can't wait to hear this thing roar.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Forum Regular

Check out Autoloc.com, and talk to their tech department, they sell after-market alarms and remote engine start kits. What may be of help to you is that for their remote start device they offer an optional module that disables the SKREEM when you press on the remote start fob.

I bought an alarm from them years ago and their support guys were pretty nice to talk to.

Yesterday was another day of nothing happened. The guy who keeps promising to bring us the DRBIII no showed again and so Robert gave up on him and decided he would work after hours with the help of Ferris (Ssowardcustoms). Ferris is off today but will go into work today and get the DRBII from the Crossfire tech and get it to us. Thanks Ferris! This is really going the extra mile or about 20 extra miles. I hope you guys will continue to support Ferris if you need a good deal on parts. That reminds me,,,, I need the bin that replaces the cup holder...

Well we are hoping to figure out what is going on today. On thing we did try yesterday is leaving the key on for an hour per the manual incase the SKREEM was locked. No luck. As a plan B maybe one of you electronics engineers could look at the schematics and see if you can figure a way around the anti-theft system.

Last edited by spotsbimmer; 10-31-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob, any good news from today?

Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by spotsbimmer
Check out Autoloc.com, and talk to their tech department, they sell after-market alarms and remote engine start kits. What may be of help to you is that for their remote start device they offer an optional module that disables the SKREEM when you press on the remote start fob.

I bought an alarm from them years ago and their support guys were pretty nice to talk to.
I will look into this. Thank you. Yesterday didn't work out either, by the time Ferris was able to get the DRBIII out of the shop, Robert had run out of time before we was tied up with family commitments. I think I need to look into renting the system. I have heard that Tech Authority will rent the system.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM

IT IS RUNNNING!!!!!!! I just got a call from Robert Krause and am leaving now to head to the shop. More details latter today!!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Sweet! Congrats Lantana!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome! Congrats Lantana! Can't wait to see it.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Forum Regular

OMG. Congrats! Bob.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Woooo Hoooooo!!!!!!!! way to go.... Looking forward to your follow-up.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so jealous of you right now.. I can't wait to see this, and eventually do this to my car!

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary