Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 10-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
There is a wire in the power relay module that is supposed to ground which makes the starter turn. we manually grounded the wire and the engine did turn over but no start. We think the imoblizer must also keep the coils and injectors from firing.
Generally starters get the ground from being bolted to the block. Is this not so??

In Volvo world (generally a car is a car no matter the brand) The key in the ignition is then turned activating the differing circuits (15, 15l, 30, and X-supply) as the key is turned from Positions I, II, and III. The immobilizer interrogates the key (even though they're laser cut, the antenna ring outside the ignition lock cylinder receives the signal from the key and sends to the immobilizer. Immobilizer then sends the signal to the ECM to power the starter relay thus supplying power to the starter motor. This is all Volvo speak though. Is it not the same or at least similar to Crossfire speak??

Justin

Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
Generally starters get the ground from being bolted to the block. Is this not so??

In Volvo world (generally a car is a car no matter the brand) The key in the ignition is then turned activating the differing circuits (15, 15l, 30, and X-supply) as the key is turned from Positions I, II, and III. The immobilizer interrogates the key (even though they're laser cut, the antenna ring outside the ignition lock cylinder receives the signal from the key and sends to the immobilizer. Immobilizer then sends the signal to the ECM to power the starter relay thus supplying power to the starter motor. This is all Volvo speak though. Is it not the same or at least similar to Crossfire speak??

Justin
What you say is pretty much true but there is a starter wire in the power relay module that makes it way over to the electronics box where the ECU and body control module are. When this wire is grounded the starter engages.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 AM

I have a new idea. When I had the car mechanically finished I tried to run initial start up in the MB STAR DAS. Beckmann told me I could try this and if it didn't work we wanted me to take the car to Krause because he had a better lap top set up that would work better for remote access. When I ran initial start up it did not like my Chrysler VIN number but I proceeded to got through "Drive Authorization" which ends with trying to start the car. I am thinking that when I tried to start the car the anti-theft system didn't like the new ECU with no VIN number and activated the immobilizer. Now that the ECU is programmed properly it may just be that I need to clear the immobilizer which I could do with DRBIII if I had one. But there may be another way to clear the immobilizer. If you guys look at the SKREEM no more thread you will see that superstar had a similar problem and disconecting the battery did not work. he also had to also disconnect the SKREEM module and then the car started right up. Why would disconnecting the SKREEM module work after the battery was already disconnected? Maybe becasue the anti-theft system has its own secondary battery?? How many of you knew your car has two batteries? this is why disconnecting the battery will not kill the alarm siren. I think if I disconnect the battery and the secondary battery that would have the same effect as unplugging the SKREEM module. I would prefer to not tear apart my dash to get to the SKREEM module if I can just unplug the secondary battery.

So where the hell is the secondary battery? Anyone ever find it? I hope it is not sitting behind the dash with the SKREEM module. Rudy (RCOMPART) was on the phone with me last night and while the service manual mentions this battery it does not show it or show it in the wiring. We think it may be built in the siren located under the plastic vent between the hood and the base of the windshield.

My car is locked up at Krause's for the weekend so I won't be looking for the battery until tomorrow, but if any of you have seen this battery please let me know. It should look like a small rechargable jet ski battery.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Forum Regular

1st, how long does the siren activate when the battery, main battery, is disconnected?? If not a very long time then is there a capacitor in the SKREEM module?? Or if you do find this other battery, when you disconnect it, why not take it out completely?? Sounds like it's only function is to operate when the main battery is gone. Weight savings??

Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

it is the cop in me that suspects the secondary battery back up isn't mentioned, because car thieves would have the knowledge then to steal our cars...when engauging the tow switch, which deactivates the alarm, does it also deactivate the ability to start the car? Just a thought. And, I would think the skreem module would contain the capacity to sound the alarm. I have never seen a small battery exposed anywhere, and I have looked at a few totalled cars at the junk yard while searching for parts. Granted the drive tranes were gone, but I would think this backup would be well hidden in the dash area...just my .02

Old 10-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Default Alarm siren battery

Hi,

maybe the part you looking for have the following part#5124443AA so you will find it there: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...lved-read.html

The battery could be inside the siren.

regards V8 Max.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:44 PM

I started a second thread "Seconday Battery" and Hawk Monster confirms that it is built into the siren which would also explain why it does not show up in the wiring diagrams. I think it is worth a try to kiil ALL power and see if I can clear the fault in the SKREEM imobilization module.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

had to be hidden somewhere, or it woudn't be much of a security system, but I will ask this..most security systems would use power to power off the battery. Once the battery loses the power which keeps it turned off will then activate the alarm...if this makes sense...but the car may not be that way...

Old 10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new idea. When I had the car mechanically finished I tried to run initial start up in the MB STAR DAS. Beckmann told me I could try this and if it didn't work we wanted me to take the car to Krause because he had a better lap top set up that would work better for remote access. When I ran initial start up it did not like my Chrysler VIN number but I proceeded to got through "Drive Authorization" which ends with trying to start the car. I am thinking that when I tried to start the car the anti-theft system didn't like the new ECU with no VIN number and activated the immobilizer. Now that the ECU is programmed properly it may just be that I need to clear the immobilizer which I could do with DRBIII if I had one. But there may be another way to clear the immobilizer. If you guys look at the SKREEM no more thread you will see that superstar had a similar problem and disconecting the battery did not work. he also had to also disconnect the SKREEM module and then the car started right up. Why would disconnecting the SKREEM module work after the battery was already disconnected? Maybe becasue the anti-theft system has its own secondary battery?? How many of you knew your car has two batteries? this is why disconnecting the battery will not kill the alarm siren. I think if I disconnect the battery and the secondary battery that would have the same effect as unplugging the SKREEM module. I would prefer to not tear apart my dash to get to the SKREEM module if I can just unplug the secondary battery.
It's worth a try.

But there is one thing we have to think about.

As far as i understand the car electronic will retrain (programm) the SKREEM by itself automatically if it was reseted (by no power).

As far as i understand the hand transmitters (RKE) have to be reprogrammed (retrained) than. To do that you'll need a ODBIII diagnosys tool (Chapter 8Q, page 54). Don't know if the key (transmitter) codes are coded permanently to SKREEM, or not.

Regards

Markus

Last edited by bigblock427; 10-26-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess my .02 cents have been refunded....oh well....

Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by sowardcustoms
I guess my .02 cents have been refunded....oh well....
I appreciate your 2 cents, but it seems odd to replace the SKREEM module because of an ECU replacement. This goes against what the service manual says and would seem to greatly increase the cost of the repair. Any chance you can get your hands on the Crossfire PCMI card and Crossfire cable for half a day? I don't need the acutal DRBIII as I do have access to that.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by bigblock427
It's worth a try.

But there is one thing we have to think about.

As far as i understand the car electronic will retrain (programm) the SKREEM by itself automatically if it was reseted (by no power).

As far as understand the hand transmitters (RKE) than have to be reprogrammed (retrained) than. To do that you'll need a ODBIII diagnosys tool (Chapter 8Q, page 54). Don't know if the key (transmitter) codes are coded permanently to SKREEM, or not.

Regards

Markus
This is definitely something to think about. I have run the drive authorization routine so I am assuming my anti-theft data is in the ECU but if it isn't, reseting the SKREEM by total power off could cuase me a ton of problems as the SKReem would need to learn the key/anti-theft data from the ECU. I really need to find a DRBIII system for the Crossfire. The Crossfire tech at Huffines Chrysler has been out with the flu but that dealership is walking distance from were my car is located. If I could just talk him into coming to the shop for lunch we get get this done in minutes.

Sowardcustoms, Got any connections with Huffines in Lewisville?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular

This is definitely something to think about. I have run the drive authorization routine so I am assuming my anti-theft data is in the ECU but if it isn't, reseting the SKREEM by total power off could cuase me a ton of problems as the SKReem would need to learn the key/anti-theft data from the ECU. I really need to find a DRBIII system for the Crossfire. The Crossfire tech at Huffines Chrysler has been out with the flu but that dealership is walking distance from were my car is located. If I could just talk him into coming to the shop for lunch we get get this done in minutes.

Sowardcustoms, Got any connections with Huffines in Lewisville?
I know the parts manager but i don't know anyone in service I do have access to the card and multiplexer..

Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular

OPERATION

The Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) has the following functions: receiving and evaluating the Radio Frequency (RF) keyless entry remote signal, actuation of door locks in conjunction with the Central Locking Pump/Security System Module, and enabling the vehicle theft security alarm with confirmation via the turn signals. When the RKE transmitter is operated, an RF signal is transmitted. If the SKREEM recognizes the RF signal as valid, it actuates the Central Locking Pump/Security System Module through the Body Control Module. The vehicle is then locked or unlocked through the power locks system. Connected to the SKREEM is a Sentry Key Antenna Ring which surrounds the ignition lock cylinder. When the ignition is switched on, the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is supplied with power. A data block is transmitted inductively via the Sentry Key Antenna Ring to the SKREEM and then on to the Powertrain Control Module. If the antenna ring data block content is invalid or if vehicle battery power is too low to build up enough power for the antenna ring, the Powertrain Control Module will not receive the proper signal. This is displayed with the message “Start Error” in the Instrument Cluster.
The SKREEM contains an RF transceiver and a microprocessor. The SKREEM transmits RF signals to and receives RF signals from the ignition key transponder through a tuned Sentry Key Antenna Ring that is wired to the SKREEM. If the Sentry Key Antenna Ring is not mounted properly around the ignition lock cylinder housing, communication problems between the SKREEM and the ignition key may arise. These communication problems will result in ignition key transponder-related faults. The SKREEM also communicates over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Instrument Cluster, the Body Control Module (BCM), and/or the DRB IIIŽ scan tool.
The SKREEM retains in memory the ID numbers of any ignition key transponder that is programmed into it. For added system security each SKREEM is programmed with a unique secret key code. This code is stored in memory, sent over the CAN data bus to the PCM, and is encoded to the transponder of every ignition key that is programmed into the SKREEM.
In the event that a SKREEM replacement is required, the secret key code can be transferred to the new SKREEM from the PCM using the DRB IIIŽ scan tool and the ignition key system replacement programming procedure. Proper completion of the ignition key system initialization will allow the existing ignition keys to be programmed into the new SKREEM so that new keys will not be required. In the event that the original secret key code cannot be recovered, SKREEM replacement will also require new ignition keys. The DRB IIIŽ scan tool will alert the technician during the key reprogramming procedure if new ignition keys are required.
The sentry key system performs a self-test each time the ignition switch is turned to the ON/RUN position and will store fault information in the form of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in SKREEM memory if a system malfunction is detected. The SKREEM can be diagnosed and any stored DTCs can be retrieved using a DRB IIIŽ scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular

STANDARD PROCEDURE – PCM/SKREEM PROGRAMMING

NOTE: Before replacing the PCM, be sure to check the related component/circuit integrity for failures not detected due to a double fault in the circuit. Most PCM failures are caused by internal component failures (i.e. relays and solenoids) and shorted circuits (i.e. pull-ups, drivers, and switched circuits). These failures are difficult to detect when a double fault has occurred and only one DTC has been set.
When a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM) are replaced at the same time, perform the following steps:
  1. Using the DRB IIIŽ scan tool, follow the on screen instructions to program the new PCM.
  2. Using the DRB IIIŽ, follow the on screen instructions to program the new Sentry Key Remote Entry Module.
  3. Replace all ignition keys and program them to the new Sentry Key Remote Entry Module.
PROGRAMMING THE PCM

The Sentry Key Remote Entry System Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. This code is programmed and stored in the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module, the PCM, and the ignition key transponder chip(s). When replacing the PCM, the DRB IIIŽ will program the secret key into the new PCM.
NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for one hour, then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned off. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).
PROGRAMMING THE SENTRY KEY REMOTE ENTRY MODULE

NOTE: Be sure to enter the correct country code. If the incorrect country code is programmed into the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module, it cannot be changed and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module must be replaced.
  1. Program ignition keys to the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. NOTE: If the PCM and the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module are replaced at the same time, all vehicle ignition keys will need to be replaced and programmed to the new Sentry Key Remote Entry Module.
PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS TO THE SENTRY KEY REMOTE ENTRY MODULE

NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned to each Sentry Key Remote Entry Module. Once a key is learned to an Sentry Key Remote Entry Module it (the key) cannot be transferred to another vehicle.
  1. Obtain ignition keys to be programmed from the customer (8 keys maximum).
  2. Using the DRB IIIŽ, erase all ignition keys.
  3. Program all of the ignition keys. If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRB IIIŽ will display a failure message.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by sowardcustoms
I know the parts manager but i don't know anyone in service I do have access to the card and multiplexer..
You have access to the card and cable?? that would be great if we could borrow or rent for a few hours. We have access to the DRBIII unit, just need the Crossfire card and cable. the cable includes a multiplexer

Thanks for psoting the PCM/SKREEM replacement info. I had seen that in the manual. These modules have a way to learn from each other in the event only one of them is changed. The procedure is similar to the STAR Diagnostic System but more automated in the STAR system. In STAR it is called Drive Authorization and it does everything and you have to do is turn the key when it tell you to.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-26-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Forum Regular

didnt know if you had a service manual....

Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Yes I have the manual as well as the Mercedes manuals, info. We had to use the Mercedes system to code the ECU/PCM becuase of developer mode which enabled us to properly code it and associate it with the rest of the car. The only module we cannot get into is the SKREEM which we are trying to find the Crossfire card and cable to hook it up to DRBIII.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Forum Regular

You have access to the card and cable?? that would be great if we could borrow or rent for a few hours. We have access to the DRBIII unit, just need the Crossfire card and cable. the cable includes a multiplexer

Thanks for psoting the PCM/SKREEM replacement info. I had seen that in the manual. These modules have a way to learn from each other in the event only one of them is changed. The procedure is similar to the STAR Diagnostic System but more automated in the STAR system. In STAR it is called Drive Authorization and it does everything and you have to do is turn the key when it tell you to.
I would have to borrow it from work do you have access to a drb after 6:00 we actually have a crossfire up here waiting on a skreem module so i would have to bring it with me....

Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Forum Regular

Let me know i would like to see the car and hear it start..

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary