Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by ChuckNorris
You never know when the relay control module will fail with these cars too. Just a thought.
Does an RCM failure prevent the vehicle from just starting or does it prevent it from even cranking over?

Old 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything seems normal but the starter will not work. You will have power to everything(ecu,accessories) except the starter solenoid.

Originally Posted by rcompart
Does an RCM failure prevent the vehicle from just starting or does it prevent it from even cranking over?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular

Damned!
My crossed fingers really hurt.
Can't press stronger.

Hope there'll be a solution soon and that the beast will crank up soon and show all wolfes what a bad rumble is!

Regards

Markus

(PS: Sorry for my bad english.)

Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

that was better english than we speak over here....what you talkin' bout .....and I'm with you...can't wait to here her purrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything seems normal but the starter will not work. You will have power to everything(ecu,accessories) except the starter solenoid.
That is pretty much what it is doing. It would be nice to know exactly what doens't work with the anti-theft activated.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:30 PM

I asked Robert Krause about the RCM and he said he already thought of that and had checked it and it is fine. It was a pretty slow day as we still cannot locate a DRB3 with the right pcm card and cable. Anyone got one? We did find a couple of guys with the DRB3 but they don't have the card and cable that is specific to working on the Crossfire. I am going to check Ebay for the card and cable. It would be great if someone had one that could loan it to me.

One of the issues we found was that the Crossfire has all the same type of modules as a SLK320 and all have MB part numbers on them but some of the part numbers are specific to the Crossfire. The reason for the differences is that we have differnt equpment than a SLK such as a wing, differnt size wheels/tires and our coupes don't have retractable roofs. In Star DAS developer mode we were able to comunicate with and program all the modules except the anit-theft module. We tried to enter the anti-theft as many different vehicles in DAS but was unable to talk to the anit-theft system. We believe the only way to get into the anti-theft system is with the Chyrsler DRB3 system.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 632 Likes on 433 Posts

Gone are the days of a simple engine swap.
So much BS now to go through but I'm confident that you will get her running.
Great thread to follow I must say

Gary

Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With out going completely off topic of your car.. After you get your car running ,, Do you think with the program you have you can swap out the V8 into the 6spd Crossfire? you think its possible?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
With out going completely off topic of your car.. After you get your car running ,, Do you think with the program you have you can swap out the V8 into the 6spd Crossfire? you think its possible?
I can't tell you this for sure but assuming your flywheel will bolt up if it is externally balanced it would most likely be wrong for a V8. I am not too familiar with V8's with manual trans, but if you got a V8 with the flex plate for an automatic you could probably check the balance factor of the flex plate and have that balance factor put into your V6 flywheel.

My V8 still had the flex plate and the V6 trans and torque conveter bolted right up perfectly.

In addition to making sure the flywheel can be used you would also need a pilot bearing and probably a stronger performance clutch. The bellhousing will bolt right up to the V8.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Forum Regular

I was just surfing and found the V8 that startech used and the 6.1 Hemi to be remarkably similar as far as power output. Maybe there are more similarities,haven't looked into it yet. I have been searching for a factory service manual for the SRT8's and haven't found one yet. I did find that that Diablosport has a tune for the SRT8's and they mention cracking the "german code". Seeing that they also use the 722.6 tranny it seems possible that the Hemi will bolt in, at least to the tranny not sure about motor mounts. Just curious if you had ever thought about this or if anyone else knows the specifics. Good Luck with finding the DRBIII, if I had one I would send it to ya.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM

I was just surfing and found the V8 that startech used and the 6.1 Hemi to be remarkably similar as far as power output. Maybe there are more similarities,haven't looked into it yet. I have been searching for a factory service manual for the SRT8's and haven't found one yet. I did find that that Diablosport has a tune for the SRT8's and they mention cracking the "german code". Seeing that they also use the 722.6 tranny it seems possible that the Hemi will bolt in, at least to the tranny not sure about motor mounts. Just curious if you had ever thought about this or if anyone else knows the specifics. Good Luck with finding the DRBIII, if I had one I would send it to ya.
I would have liked the hemi becuase of aftermarket support but I didn't want to deal with motor mounts and exhaust manifolds. I also assumed that the engine would weigh more.

I was pointed to a thread about the SKREEM and was wondering if anyone knows where to find it?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I was pointed to a thread about the SKREEM and was wondering if anyone knows where to find it?
SuperStar posted that. Maybe send him a PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Is this what you're looking for?

From the service manual:

Old 10-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thumper SRT6
Is this what you're looking for?

From the service manual:

I was afraid that was were it was at. Looks like real fun to get to. I read on the thread SKREEM NO More that he was able to get his car running by unplugging it and plugging back in. I am not sure I wan to tear the car apart and may just keep trying to get my hands on the DRBIII so we can properly interogate the anti-theft system. It is possible that with the battery disconnected for so long with the ECU out along with three trips on a tow truck that we need to read the anti theft codes and reset it.

Just a recap of where I am at. The MB STAR system in developer mode was used to code the ECU to the car. The ECU is now communicating with the other modules. Before coding the new ECU we connected to the old one and printed all the values which inlude things such as VIN, tire size, transmission, rear axle ratio, and so on. We then used develoepr mode to code the new ECU to be the same as the original except the engine was coded as V8 500. After we confirmed that the modules were all comunicating properly and functioning properly with no fualts, we ran drive authorization which is how the ECU learns the anti-theft system. this also ran smoothly with no errors but when we are told by the system to start the car, nothing happens. Engine does not crank.

Everything in the car seems to work just fine. Key remote works to lock and unlock the car, central locking works fine, key turn all the light on the dash normally. With key on, fuel pump runs and throttle body does its little twitch. Radio works fine etc. Nothing abnormal at all. The only thing we cannot get into in STAR DAS is the antitheft system and Key programming. The anti theft seems to want to only talk to Chrysler system which is DRBIII. We can only assume now that the anti-theft is not liking something. It would be nice if there was a way to do a reset of the anti-theft system without the DRBIII. I have tried to a couple of things such as locking and unlocking the car with the key in the lock as well as with the remote. Again everything funtions as it should but till no signal to the starter. The power relay module which is located on the drivers side in the fuse box was checked and funtioning properly.

It is madening when everything else is funtioning properly and not a single error code is produced but still no start! Hopefully getting into the anti-theft system will tell us something. I have not been able to located the DRBIII system that we need. I do have access to a DRBIII but not the Crossfire PCMI card and special multiplexer cable. I am looking into a company called TechAuthority.com to see if they can rent the cable and PCMI card. Maybe I should check with Eurocharged and see if they have one to rent?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've been studying a lot of wiring diagrams. I have not so I could be wrong in this next post but here's an idea. What if you were to run your own wire from the "start" position (I believe itht e ignition 30 circuit?? maybe 15l??) straight to the starter relay which I assume is to the RCM?? Thus bypassing the immobilizer (Volvo speak). Makes the car easier to steal, but also easier to start. I think you'll be keeping your eye on this particular car...

Justin

Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lantana, I saw one of those modules and the cable for sale some time ago. I dont recall if it was here or somewhere else... Good luck my friend...you are sooooooo close....

Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
Sounds like you've been studying a lot of wiring diagrams. I have not so I could be wrong in this next post but here's an idea. What if you were to run your own wire from the "start" position (I believe itht e ignition 30 circuit?? maybe 15l??) straight to the starter relay which I assume is to the RCM?? Thus bypassing the immobilizer (Volvo speak). Makes the car easier to steal, but also easier to start. I think you'll be keeping your eye on this particular car...

Justin
There is a wire in the power relay module that is supposed to ground which makes the starter turn. we manually grounded the wire and the engine did turn over but no start. We think the imoblizer must also keep the coils and injectors from firing.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Lantana, I saw one of those modules and the cable for sale some time ago. I dont recall if it was here or somewhere else... Good luck my friend...you are sooooooo close....
I just got off the phone with Rudy and he thinks a member on here has the DRBIII cable and PCMI card for a Crossfire. If we can locate this member maybe he would let me borrow it. I am going to do a search now but if any of you can also try to find this guy it would be a big help.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Forum Regular

I'm shure you'll have the Crossfire repair manual.
Because i only have the german version i'm not quite shure if i the page numbers and chapter are similar to the english version. In chapter 8E page 45 in my opinion there is a relevant hint that says:

If SCREEM or engine PCM was exchanged you have to reprogram the BCU and the hand transitters (RKE).
Else you couldn't start the engine.

There is an exact description what you have to do in the repair manual.
To do it you'll need a DRBIII device that allows you to check and reset all errors.

I think you're real close to success.
Regards

Markus

Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've went thru the drb before its very limited on the crossfire most of the time when we replace pcm's on crossfires we replace the skreem as well when we order the skreem it is programed by someone from mercedes here in ft worth for chrysler.....

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary