Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

I will check the alternator, but I can't imagine a 120 amp alternator not being enough to rung the eninge, could it be that your 55 Kompressor needs more beacuase of the electically clutched supercharger pulley? I am only running two more injectors and and two mor coil packs.

Today's update:

Spent today mostly finishing the mechanical work. We wasted a couple of hours running around trying to find a new idler pulley. The one on the V6 was worn and had just started to make some noise. We mounted the power steering pump water pump, a/c compressor, alternator, fan belt and hoses. We intalled the new oil filter and filled it with fresh Mobil 1. Aslo had to run around to find the right power steeering fluid which is NOT sold in most parts stores. We ran into some issues such as the lengthening the cable that goes from the starter to the alternator. We will also have to have the a/c line that runs from the compressor to the condensor shortened. Now that the compressor is four inches closer to the condensor it is too long and wants to kink. We also ran into a problem mounting the crompressor. It is held on with three bolts and the back bolt is in the block on the V6 ver near the engine mount. On the V8 the back bolt is part of the engine mount, but I can't use the CL500 engine mount as it is not lined up with the Crossfire chassis mounts. to fix the problem, we cut the front part of the mount off the V8 engine mount. It mounts to the block and has the lug to bolt the compressor to. Problem fixed but it took a while to solve. Over all, everything seems to fit good and I am suprised that so much of this have been pretty easy.

Tomorrow moning we are wirring the dual fans to the stock electronic controller. We then will finish the wiring. There is some small differences in the harnesses. Everything that connects to the ECU is fine but there are two other connectors which are different and have to be resloved. If needed we will take from the V6 harness if nessessary. We are up tonight studying the wiring diagrams. Tormorrow we will also take the car to the muffler shop and have the head pipes changed slightly to bolt to the exhaust manifolds. It is so close but the angles are off a little too much allow it to bolt up and seal properly.

Everything is a tight fit and we have to pay a lot of attention to everything to make sure it fits, it works, and can be serviced in the future. The only servicing issue we will have relates to the idler pulley. If it ever needs to be placed, the whater pump must be removed because the blolt is too long and interferes with the radiator before you can get the bolt started.

We are also having to slightly space the sway bar mounts from the frame. While it does clear, we worry that any engine torque which makes the engine lean a bit twords the passenger side will cuase contact with the sway bar. A small shim is all that's needed.

My uncle thinks we will try to start the car tomorrow but I am not so sure. I think the corrections to the engine harness will take some time. I will post pictures of the finshed mechanical work tomorrow.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Sorry for no update yesterday but we worked until midnight and I am exhausted. Yesterday we installed the cooling fans and towed the car to the muffler shop. The head pipes didn't quite match up to the exhaust manifolds. It was really close but a slight wrong angle. While they were at it I had them delete the second set of unmonitored cats. After is was done we used a flat bed to bring the car to my house. We also had to have a new a/c line made because one was too long. It was done this morning. We were up late last night making some adjustments to the wiring harness to match the Crossifre. This required taking two plug in connectors from the V6 harness and spending most of the night studying the wiring diagrmas and pin out charts. What took a lot of time was tracing wires and physically verifying them. We finished all mechanical work and wiring a few minutes ago. I tried to run the initial start up in DAS but the car didn't start. I called Bob Beckmann from Beckmann thechnologies and will be taking the car to a local independant shop that works with Bob Beckmann and we will hook up there and let Bob do the programing via Mercedes Blue Link (over the internet). I am now waiting on Kraus Automotive and Bob Beckmann to coordinate their schedules. Oviosly I want to get this done tomorrow mornig if possible. Here are some of the latest pictures that shows the completed mechanical work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
V8 day three002.jpg (308.4 KB, 142 views)
V8 day three003.jpg (301.7 KB, 122 views)
V8 day three004.jpg (303.4 KB, 126 views)
V8 day three005.jpg (299.2 KB, 115 views)
V8 day three006.jpg (302.9 KB, 121 views)
V8 day three007.jpg (304.0 KB, 122 views)
V8 day three008.jpg (297.8 KB, 131 views)
V8 day three009.jpg (301.2 KB, 115 views)
V8 day three010.jpg (306.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

Regards

Markus

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE WORK!!
Almost there...

Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome!!! I hope you get it going!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

in the old days, I did away with my big block chevy to move to a small block in my camaro...now, you have done just the opposite...how does the front suspension look...and what is the weight difference...just curious....it really looks just like it was meant to be in there...really grt work...good luck with the start up...

Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
in the old days, I did away with my big block chevy to move to a small block in my camaro...now, you have done just the opposite...how does the front suspension look...and what is the weight difference...just curious....it really looks just like it was meant to be in there...really grt work...good luck with the start up...
Thre is no substitue for cubic inches. Back in my day I built a wild 351C for my drag car and raced it in NHRA B Super Modified. Back then we used alot of small blocks but Pro Stock was using small blocks because of the weight breaks and small blocks were more plentiful and getting all the good parts developed. When NHRA latter changed the weight breaks all of a sudden they were all running mountain motors. Keep in mind my new motor is an all aluminum 5.0L SOHC three valves per cylinder small block. I bet if you had a V6 Camero back in the day you would have put a small block V8 into it.

The car now weighs 100 pounds more but the car is still at exactly the same ride height as it was with the V6. My Vogtland springs may have helped in this area.

I did decide to remove the underhood insulation as it was rubbing on my engine cover. No problems now but as I mentioned before this is a very tight fit!

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-14-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A tight fit is an understatement. How many times did you bust knuckles working in that confined space? Looking good Lantana. Good luck tomorrow. Very very impressive.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Sorry for no update yesterday but we worked until midnight and I am exhausted. Yesterday we installed the cooling fans and towed the car to the muffler shop. The head pipes didn't quite match up to the exhaust manifolds. It was really close but a slight wrong angle. While they were at it I had them delete the second set of unmonitored cats. After is was done we used a flat bed to bring the car to my house. We also had to have a new a/c line made because one was too long. It was done this morning. We were up late last night making some adjustments to the wiring harness to match the Crossifre. This required taking two plug in connectors from the V6 harness and spending most of the night studying the wiring diagrmas and pin out charts. What took a lot of time was tracing wires and physically verifying them. We finished all mechanical work and wiring a few minutes ago. I tried to run the initial start up in DAS but the car didn't start. I called Bob Beckmann from Beckmann thechnologies and will be taking the car to a local independant shop that works with Bob Beckmann and we will hook up there and let Bob do the programing via Mercedes Blue Link (over the internet). I am now waiting on Kraus Automotive and Bob Beckmann to coordinate their schedules. Oviosly I want to get this done tomorrow mornig if possible. Here are some of the latest pictures that shows the completed mechanical work.
Hi,

Many points you should check for car to start:
- First of all, control Drive Authorization System (DAS) in EZS menu and check if its active or not;
- control spark at coil wires;
- is there any fuel arriving to injectors.

Good Luck.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:54 AM
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hi,

Today, I send you pics of my TCU reflash.
It's a Siemens EGS52 which I reflash with EGS program taken from Mercedes Benz E Class 55 AMG Kompressor.
Eprom I re-burned is an AMD 29F400BB with 512 Ko bin file, the Eprom is similar to the one on the engine ECU.
I made a run Drag (0 to 100 km/h), I was about 5 seconds time.
This is the link to the video, enjoy !!

YouTube - CLK 55 AMG Kompressor Drag 0-100 Km/h by KANZUS Mercedes-Benz speed

Karim.

Attached Images
IMG_4061.JPG (1.23 MB, 47 views)
IMG_4063.JPG (1.14 MB, 44 views)
IMG_4064.JPG (1.26 MB, 58 views)
IMG_4065.JPG (852.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kanzus
Hi,

Many points you should check for car to start:
- First of all, control Drive Authorization System (DAS) in EZS menu and check if its active or not;
- control spark at coil wires;
- is there any fuel arriving to injectors.

Good Luck.
I was able to run Drive authorization until it asked me to start the car. when I tried to start the car the engine did not crank over. I can put power to the starter and it cranks fine so no problem with starter.

With key on injectors fill up with fuel. The center wire on the injectors is power up but we did not check this with key on. the strangest thing is that when I run dirve authorization, It displays the VIN readout from the car and the VIN readout from the ECU. BOTH VIN match and neither is my VIN. How is the VIN from car chassis a MB VIN? I cannot change the VIN from car, but I can change the VIN in the ECU.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:56 AM

I was able to run Drive authorization until it asked me to start the car. when I tried to start the car the engine did not crank over. I can put power to the starter and it cranks fine so no problem with starter.

With key on injectors fill up with fuel. The center wire on the injectors is power up but we did not check this with key on. the strangest thing is that when I run dirve authorization, It displays the VIN readout from the car and the VIN readout from the ECU. BOTH VIN match and neither is my VIN. How is the VIN from car chassis a MB VIN? I cannot change the VIN from car, but I can change the VIN in the ECU.
Normally, DAS display VIN of the car on the right top on the screen, near Voltage, is it VIN of your car crossfire? or onother VIN ? MB VIN? (this is the case you enter DAS and run one diagnostic module.)

what's the status of your authorization (actual values --> in EZS menu) ??

I think you are near to the goal, fuel arrives, you have spark .. let's make authorization OK !

Wating for your reply.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by kanzus
Hi,

Today, I send you pics of my TCU reflash.
It's a Siemens EGS52 which I reflash with EGS program taken from Mercedes Benz E Class 55 AMG Kompressor.
Eprom I re-burned is an AMD 29F400BB with 512 Ko bin file, the Eprom is similar to the one on the engine ECU.
I made a run Drag (0 to 100 km/h), I was about 5 seconds time.
This is the link to the video, enjoy !!

YouTube - CLK 55 AMG Kompressor Drag 0-100 Km/h by KANZUS Mercedes-Benz speed

Karim.
Karim that is a very quick car!!!

We spent today at Kraus Automotive in Lewisville about 8 miles from my home. The actual programing was done through remote access by Beckmann technologies. He was able to code the ECU so that my car is now a R170 SLK500 (which never existed) with a Chyrsler VIN number. My rear end ratio, transmission and transmisission ratios and tire sizes are all corect. He did this through variant coding in DAS Developer Mode which is all in German. We did run into one problem which is still keeping he car from starting. Believe or not, the shifter in the automatic is electronic and part of the imobilization system. He was not able to get the shifter coded and believes it is becuase the firmware in the donor ECU is version F2 and the car was on version F5. We are trying various means without success to update the firmware. Beckmann will try again in the morning and if it doesn't work we will have to send the ECU back to Beckmann for a re-flash. In short, there are many things that have to match up or the imobilization kicks in. Everything effecting the Immo is happy ecept the shifter. Until we reslove this the Drive authorization will not complete successfully.

P.S. Robert Kraus and his mechanics are all great guys and they would love to see some Crossfires come in for servicing. Their number is (972) 221-8743

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-16-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When I was working on my AMG supercharger setup I was planning on calling my car an X32 so just throwing this out there but I think X500 would be a very fitting badge on the back of your car because I think people will be seeing a lot more of that after you get this bad boy running!

Great job and can't wait for you to get it finished.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by rcompart
When I was working on my AMG supercharger setup I was planning on calling my car an X32 so just throwing this out there but I think X500 would be a very fitting badge on the back of your car because I think people will be seeing a lot more of that after you get this bad boy running!

Great job and can't wait for you to get it finished.
We were just discussing this today and was thinking of XF500!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

We were just discussing this today and was thinking of XF500!
Great minds think d*mn near alike!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Well it will be a few more days. Beckmann said I needed to update the firmware in the 2002 ECU from Version F2 to version F5 which is the version that the Crossfire was running on. I also talked to Karim (Kanzus) this morning and he also had to update the firmware in his donar ECU, so I am pretty sure we are on the right track. Beckmann will have the ECU on Monday and if lucky I will have it back on Tuesday. I am exhausted and kind of glad to have a few days off from working on it.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Well it will be a few more days. Beckmann said I needed to update the firmware in the 2002 ECU from Version F2 to version F5 which is the version that the Crossfire was running on. I also talked to Karim (Kanzus) this morning and he also had to update the firmware in his donar ECU, so I am pretty sure we are on the right track. Beckmann will have the ECU on Monday and if lucky I will have it back on Tuesday. I am exhausted and kind of glad to have a few days off from working on it.
We are not happy you have a few days off, we are anxious to hear it works!

Well, at least I am.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

that is grt news, and no, in those days no aluminum blocks, heads yes, blocks no. 100 lbs difference is remarkable...my Camaro ran in gas B class...and if you remember a guy named Norm Paddock, Opel GT, later Pro Stock...and a guy Glidden....I worked for Norm in the evenings, and Glidden did my head work on the big block chevy...he liked Fords better...lol...but did good work until he got his big break...Norm is now in FL...Bob is still in Greenwood IN....I worked and ran in some fast company in those days..anyway the point is, it is fun to watch someone do something different like a build you are doing...you just don't see this anymore...good luck...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 10-16-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R170 SLK 500
Hope you'll get it running soon!

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary