Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by cmac
How attainable is unlocking an ECU, SRT or otherwise, for the rest of us who aren't capable of getting our own copy of the DAS software? Assuming that this whole thing works will it benifit the many in any way? Oh and i wish the best of luck to you by the way cause a V8 converted crossifre would be lethal.
You cannot use the DAS softwre to unlock an ECU. The only place in the world I have found that does this is Beckmann technologies. You then need the DAS software to program the unlocked ECU. I think this opens up a lot of possibilities such as forced induction for the n/a cars. I do believe this is a real solution since Kanzus made this work in adapting a AMG55 ECU and engine into his V6 C240. When programing you have to select the car that the ECU is out of. This can create some conflicts since it assumes you have certain gear ratios etc. The conflicts can be resolved in Developer mode where you can change setings such as gear ratios to match what is in your car. I would like to get my hands on the Chyrsler version to see if it has developer mode in it as this would make things easier if you were just programing a SRT ECU to a n/a car. But this can still be done by selecting SLK32 and working out the conflicts as metioned above.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
You cannot use the DAS softwre to unlock an ECU. The only place in the world I have found that does this is Beckmann technologies. You then need the DAS software to program the unlocked ECU. I think this opens up a lot of possibilities such as forced induction for the n/a cars. I do believe this is a real solution since Kanzus made this work in adapting a AMG55 ECU and engine into his V6 C240. When programing you have to select the car that the ECU is out of. This can create some conflicts since it assumes you have certain gear ratios etc. The conflicts can be resolved in Developer mode where you can change setings such as gear ratios to match what is in your car. I would like to get my hands on the Chyrsler version to see if it has developer mode in it as this would make things easier if you were just programing a SRT ECU to a n/a car. But this can still be done by selecting SLK32 and working out the conflicts as metioned above.
Yes I did, I've got the secret to HOW UNLOCK BOSCH ECU MODULE, I tested it on my car Mercedes CLK that I swapped from 2.6l V6 to 5.5l AMG V8 which I supercharged. ECU I unlocked, reset and reprogram was a used one, taken from a 2001 CL55 AMG. Just search youtube video for KANZUS you'll see my first run yourself.

Lantana, you might reproram your TCU (transmission control Unit) after your swap, because torque will be higher than actual TCU it expect, don't worry, the car will start and run but not in optimal performances.
That's what happens to me after conversion. Now I've got bin file from an E55 TCU which I will transplant (program) on my TCU. So I will have complete AMG speedshift transmission. I intend to do it by the end of the month.

PS: How could I graduate from member level to be a 'Senior member', CICCI member ... I worth it, isn't it .

Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by kanzus
Yes I did, I've got the secret to HOW UNLOCK BOSCH ECU MODULE, I tested it on my car Mercedes CLK that I swapped from 2.6l V6 to 5.5l AMG V8 which I supercharged. ECU I unlocked, reset and reprogram was a used one, taken from a 2001 CL55 AMG. Just search youtube video for KANZUS you'll see my first run yourself.

Lantana, you might reproram your TCU (transmission control Unit) after your swap, because torque will be higher than actual TCU it expect, don't worry, the car will start and run but not in optimal performances.
That's what happens to me after conversion. Now I've got bin file from an E55 TCU which I will transplant (program) on my TCU. So I will have complete AMG speedshift transmission. I intend to do it by the end of the month.

PS: How could I graduate from member level to be a 'Senior member', CICCI member ... I worth it, isn't it .
I think you have to post 1000 time to make senior but your posts should count as 50 each! Did you receive the emails I sent you? I did have a question about initial programing. I was in simulation mode and entered cars-215-CL500 and then it wants my VIN. I entered the Crossfire VIN and it was rejected. Is this becuase it is a Chrysler VIN? Or wants a VIN that applies to a CL500. If I enter the CL500 VIN and I cuasing problems for myself? Did you enter the CLK VIN or the E55 VIN in the initial Start up?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 AM

I think you have to post 1000 time to make senior but your posts should count as 50 each! Did you receive the emails I sent you? I did have a question about initial programing. I was in simulation mode and entered cars-215-CL500 and then it wants my VIN. I entered the Crossfire VIN and it was rejected. Is this becuase it is a Chrysler VIN? Or wants a VIN that applies to a CL500. If I enter the CL500 VIN and I cuasing problems for myself? Did you enter the CLK VIN or the E55 VIN in the initial Start up?
You may enter DAS with choosing car model first and not entering by VIN.
I think you have to let das read ECU first, then enter initial startup, and program ECU.
It will give you choice of engine (113K) whitch means 113=V8 K= supercharged (not in your case) etc..

I don't know how Das simulation works in details, but it's just simulation and think not real at 100%, it has limit.

When you'll swap everything and start programming ECU, be sure you'll not succeed first time, you will make many tries before engine starts.
DAS doesn't let you program something wrong, you can be sure. This program is the stongest one I ever used, it is well done.

Sometimes I have to try many times the same step before it takes effect, mayby because we use a DAS copy !
Please send me your VIN by PM i'll check it.

Karim.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM

Lantana:

Can you send photo of your car key, i would like to compare with MB key, is it infrared key ?

I'll try either to have software like WIS for Chrysler and understand behavior of coding in crossfire, to see if it's similar like MB or different (is there EZS, EIS etc).

May be DAS will not be the absolut solution and will need to hard code ECU (desoldering Eprom - Program Crossfire VIN into Eprom File - then Solder EPROM), I hope not, we'll see ..

The VIN you sent me have the same digt number as mercedes benz, bu not same composition, crossfire begins with 1C3AN ... and mercedes begins with WDB209461.... whitch means:

WDB = Wagon Daimler Berlin
209 = is chassis number, here is CLK, CL class is 215, SL class is 230, E class is 211 etc ..
461 = body code and engine, here is a 2.6l engine and convertible body ...

So Chrysler may use different VIN composition, and we should let DAS not testing VIN when start programming.
You said you succeed make diagnostic to your crossfire with DAS when choosing SLK 170, so in this case DAS did not test the existing VIN number, so we have to do so when programming.

For me, I hard coded my VIN into eprom before I solder it, and then activated it with initial Start and Drive Authorization System in EZS Menu. But also it askeed me to enter VIN in these steps of programming.

Please test Drive Authorization System in EZS menu Simulation an send result.
I propose you to exhange screen recordings for steps we make, i'll install one on my T30 and send you captured navigation screen records. What do you think ?

On the other hand, it would be graet thet you send me files of two eproms into ECUs (both), so I can prepare as I did to my CLK and send you files prepared for activating with DAS. But for this, you have to find someone to desolder then read and re-solder EPROM to ECUs (Crossfire and Donor).

Karim.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM

Karim,

I have sent you photos of the Key front and back. The key is a MB key in a gray case which is KR55 and is common to other MB cars. All the electronic modules are MB with MB "A .... .... .... " part numbers. While these all carry MB part numbers some of the modules are unique to the crossfire becasue of the Staggered wheels 19 and 18 inch wheels. The wheel tire combination resulted in different coding for ABS, ESP, and possibly gear ratios differences from the R170 SLK. Mechanically and electronically our cars appear to be identical to the R170 SLK320. We have the same CAN BUS and all the same modules but with some different coding inside them.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM

I think I may have figured it out. I have been playing around in Simulation a lot trying to teach myselft this system It seems to have some stored data from other times I have been in here or defualt data. I just tried again to simulate Intiial start up of a new ECU. this time when it asked me if I want to overwrite existing configuration, I said yes. It then took me to a screen that starts the Immobilization process. I did see that the key turn until locked was set at 12 and not 3 like I have been told before. The next screen showed two Vin numbers one from the car which you cannot change and one from the ECU which you can. It will not let you move forward unless the numbers match. I hope when I do this for real it reads the Chrysler VIN and since my ECU does not currently have a VIN stored in it, I will just type in the Crossfire VIN.

Since I am in developer mode I had various versions of the CL500 to chose from such as Japan, USA (B2D) ??, Rest of world and one that caught my eye was "Special Vehicle". I tried both USA and Special Vehicle and didn't notice any difference. I have heard that developer mode adds a selection for prototype. I wonder if that is "Special Vehicle" and if I am better of using that selection instead of USA MOST, USA (B2D) or "Rest of the World"

I will try to see if I can do screen shots so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

I just got through playing some more in DAS but this time I was not in Simulation and was hooked up to my car. For the most part everything works pretty well when SLK320 is selected. I was able to get into all the modules. Only a couple of times did I get a response that only limited functions were available because the module was unknown. but I could read Module version informaion and fault codes for everything. I was trying to be very careful because I was in developer mode and didn't want to screw up the car. Afer I was finished I did start the car and everything worked fine.

I finally got the exhaust manifolds the the muffler shop to have the missing O2 bungs welded in and will pick them up tomorrow. I will also be visiting the Mb dealer for a couple of parts. If you saw pictures of my V8 you know I need a water pump gasket. I am also going to pick up an oil filter, new exhaust gaskets and on plug wire that needs replacing. I also need to pick up a bunch of oil.

The acutual conversion starts in 8 days!

Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Lightbulb Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

I just got through playing some more in DAS but this time I was not in Simulation and was hooked up to my car. For the most part everything works pretty well when SLK320 is selected. I was able to get into all the modules. Only a couple of times did I get a response that only limited functions were available because the module was unknown. but I could read Module version informaion and fault codes for everything. I was trying to be very careful because I was in developer mode and didn't want to screw up the car. Afer I was finished I did start the car and everything worked fine.

I finally got the exhaust manifolds the the muffler shop to have the missing O2 bungs welded in and will pick them up tomorrow. I will also be visiting the Mb dealer for a couple of parts. If you saw pictures of my V8 you know I need a water pump gasket. I am also going to pick up an oil filter, new exhaust gaskets and on plug wire that needs replacing. I also need to pick up a bunch of oil.

The acutual conversion starts in 8 days!
I'm happy and sad at the same time, sad that you did not have answer before you get programmed, and happy that finally I can find someone I can share my sadess I got. LANTANA WELCOME TO REAL WORLD. Now you can feel what I fetlt, but I'm sure you will succeed.

If ever you need, I will travel to Lantana and will make project come true I promess, never let you down ..

Karim.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 AM

I'm happy and sad at the same time, sad that you did not have answer before you get programmed, and happy that finally I can find someone I can share my sadess I got. LANTANA WELCOME TO REAL WORLD. Now you can feel what I fetlt, but I'm sure you will succeed.

If ever you need, I will travel to Lantana and will make project come true I promess, never let you down ..

Karim.
Would you like me to check flights? I live 15 minuted from the Dallas/Fort Worth airport (DFW). If I can't do this through DAS, I might need you here with your Eprom knowledge and soldering gun!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karim.
You are a hell of a good guy, Karim. We are all rooting for you Lantana, you are rounding the next bend

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Guys, just want to say that I appreciate that the communication between you both have been posted in this thread, and not through PM's. I know you probably have several PM's as well, but it's very interesting to read about the learning process, sharing of info, mistakes, problems, etc, etc.

This is such an interesting thread. So many people have tried these projects, and few have actually got them to work. It looks like you're trying to do this the right way, and you deserve success.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Lantana:

I'll try either to have software like WIS for Chrysler and understand behavior of coding in crossfire, to see if it's similar like MB or different (is there EZS, EIS etc).

Please test Drive Authorization System in EZS menu Simulation an send result.
I propose you to exhange screen recordings for steps we make, i'll install one on my T30 and send you captured navigation screen records. What do you think ?

On the other hand, it would be graet thet you send me files of two eproms into ECUs (both), so I can prepare as I did to my CLK and send you files prepared for activating with DAS. But for this, you have to find someone to desolder then read and re-solder EPROM to ECUs (Crossfire and Donor).

Karim.
I think that in simulation mode we woould both be seeing the same thing? I entered as 215 CL500 up 9 2002. Since mine ECU and engine are a 2002 I am assuming that 9 2002 would be a 2003 model. I am finding EZS in control modules -> Body -> EZS Electronic ignition switch ELCODE (DAS 3) I ran this in simulation and it looks like it is for programing the ignition switch and keys.

It was nice to see that DAS didn't care about my chrysler VIN number when I entered and performed tests as SLK320. My biggest fear is that in the initial set up it will read the VIN from the car and reject it. If it does not reject it, I can then enter the same VIN into the ECU as the two numbers must match exactly. And even if it does match it could then reject as incorrect VIN since I am in DAS as a CL500. It seems like I won't find out the answer to this until I have the new engine installed and have done a lot of hard physical work. I guess if all else fails I can send my ECU's to you and you can hard code the VIN. Maybe you should consider a short vaction in the states. Dallas is very nice this time of year My uncle arrives on the 10th of October (a week from tomorrow). I will familiarize him with everything on that day and on Sunday we will start early and do the mechanical swap. We will either get this done on Sunday or Monday and ready to program by Tuesday at the latest.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:41 AM

I picked up the missing parts from the MB dealer on Friday and went to pick up the exhaust manifolds but the won't be done until Tuesday. It is a little harder to get the o2 sensors in because the heat shielding cover the entire manifold compared to the V6 manifold which the heat sheilding stops before the area that the o2 sensors are. They are having to remove some of the heat shielding so that they can weld the o2 bungs into the actual pipe. I did have some fun with the car yesterday as I got rid of my Disc Italia rotors and installed OEM SLK32 rotors that I bought from the dealer. Finally the brakes are perfectly quiet. I also installed the rear diffusers after I painted them silver. Eeric from this forum came over and picked up my old wheels and tires to use on his car and since he speaks German we went into some of the DAS developer menus as he wanted to make sure he could translate. He is from Austria and obviously fluent in German but he was worred that he would not understand a technical and then wouldn't be able to transalate.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Lantana.... Is this the weekend? I am eagerly awaiting news on your progress. Good luck buddy.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Yes this weekend! My uncle arrives tomorrow afternoon and we will go to the shop and I will get him familiar with the project. We will probably get started early Sunday morning and see how far we get. We should be trying to start it late on Sunday or on Monday. Just hope we can get it to start or I will be having a big garage sale. I picked up the exhaust manifolds yesterday and they did a very good job adding the O2 bungs. I have everything I need except new oil and anti freeze. But there are always some suprises or something forgotten. Hopefully my measurements were correct and everything will bolt right in.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, my thoughts are with you buddy..... hoping everything goes smoothly. You are definitely embarking on new territory for us crossfire owners. I am sure that there are so many users here that are as anxious as I am to see the outcome. I will be following your progress as it unfolds. If this works, which I am sure you will make happen, it will definitely create a viable alternative to owning an SRT. I love my SRT, but this makes me tempted to get an NA and follow in your footsteps. Hmmmm.... If I park the DD outside, I could fit 2 XFires in the garage

Old 10-10-2009, 12:56 AM

If anyone is in the area Sunday and wants to watch or help or bring the beer. let me know.

Saturday; My uncle just called as he boarding the plane and I remembered a few more things I needed. Went and bought a bunch of Mobil 1, Zerex G-05 antifreeze, and engine equalizer from Northern tool, and some latex gloves. We will be at the shop this afternoon going through everything and hopefully start pulling the V6 out tomorrow morning.

Last edited by LantanaTX; 10-10-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 AM

Just finishing our coffee and about to head to my friends shop. May have to stop and pick up some batteries if you guys want to see any pictures.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Forum Regular

Can't wait to see them. Good luck!

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary