Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by msheredy

Damn thing looks like it's the brains to the Manhattan Project
I am pretty sure I have everything i need to launch a missle

Old 09-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really kind of annoying that MB vehicles require the multiplexer to make it work. That thing costs a lot of money, but it's basically just a custom programmable bidirectional serial interface. The extra cables are simply there for compatibility purposes.

There's a lot of COTS hardware that could serve the same purpose without costing an arm and a leg.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I am pretty sure I have everything i need to launch a missle
Just make sure you have that missile pointed in a safe direction! LOL Looking forward to seeing the results.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Received 371 Likes on 327 Posts

They didn't even have computers then, just slide rules!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Well It now only two weeks until the swayp happens. I have been getting pretty nervous but hoping the engine will run so that i don't have to swap it back to V6. Karim (Kanzus) helped with the Key Gen which produces the DAS key that raises DAS to developer mode. I went through the process and just tested it Now when I first enter a car inDAS it gives me a warning in German which I assmume says "you are in developer mode so be carefull what you screw with. Developer mode enables you to change just about anything and is only in german as it was intended to be used in the factory to build prototypes and make adjustments to pre production cars. Eeric will be the intepreter while in Developer mode and he has also bought my other set of MB wheels for his SSB Crossfire.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you been able to determine whether you can change things such as EGR settings, transmission torque limits, rev limiters, the MAF Transfer function, and most importantly spark or fuel tables? I have not been able to get these answers myself so far.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular

Lantana,

Don't you have to have heavier springs and shocks in the front for the V8?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Lantana,

Don't you have to have heavier springs and shocks in the front for the V8?
Already done. I have Vogtland Springs and KYB shocks. I am only adding 100 pounds more than what an SRT engine weighs.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Web 3.0
Have you been able to determine whether you can change things such as EGR settings, transmission torque limits, rev limiters, the MAF Transfer function, and most importantly spark or fuel tables? I have not been able to get these answers myself so far.
I believe you are the Rotrax guy. I posted on your thread. I think you should make your Crossfire think it is a SRT. I believe SRT's don't have a MAF sensor. If I were you I would get an SRT ECU and engine harness since it is programmed to read boost. I don't think it will make much difference how you produce that boost. If you get a used ECU from an SRT you can have it unlocked by Beckmann Technologies and then program it to the car. you will need the STAR Diagnostic system to do this. The STAR DAS doensn't include Crossfire but you can select SLK32 to communicate with the virgin ECU. Do not turn the key until you need to as the ECU will lock in the third turn. You will also need developer mode which takes a special key code to raise DAS to that level. You can use developer mode to get the other modules to work with the ECU. Since you are entered as an SLK32 you will probably have to manually enter gear ratios, rear gear, tire size etc. to change fuel maps you will need to get a hold of LET motorsports. I have been talking to wayne there. Since I am not modifying my V8 (yet) I do not need to change the tune that is already in the V8 donor ECU.

Keep in mind that this hasn't been done in a Crossfire by anyone willing to talk about it so it is still pretty much therory. One thing that gives me hope is that Kanzus (search this thread) has done something very similar when he put a super charged V8 into a C240 V6 car and was successful using this approach. I remember Kanzus was getting an error for transmission over torque but I think he was able to resolve that. Developer mode is Grman only and is used by the factory to build prototypes and adjust pre-production cars. Every STAR system clones or otherwise has this feature but most mechanics have never used it. It is hard to find information since so few people use this mode. If you could get your hands on the Chysler system it may or may not have developer mode, but it would be pretty easy to program an unlocked SRT ECU to a n/a Crossfire. This was not an option for me since the Crossfire never had a V8.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Forum Regular

Already done. I have Vogtland Springs and KYB shocks. I am only adding 100 pounds more than what an SRT engine weighs.
Wow, I would have thopught it was much heavier.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SRT-6 Steve
Wow, I would have thopught it was much heavier.
There is very little difference between the two engines and they look identical except two more cylinders and about four inches longer.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM

I'll have to watch your progress and think on this a bit more before I commit to the DAS. I really need to see how extensive it is (or not) as information on it is sketchy.

I see some benefits to your thinking but there is one problem with just switching to an srt tune. It will have too much spark throughout the map as it is for a lower compression motor. So I'd be looking at the DAS plus the AEM. In theory, I should be able to do what I need to do (as far as boost is concerned) with the AEM itself.

That said, depending on what it can change, the DAS might make what I have to do with the AEM and the stock ECU that much easier!

Here is the major question on my mind. Does it allow changes to individual settings or only to groups of settings via a .bin file from another vehicle?

If it is restricted to a .bin file per group (such as transmission) I am not as interested. If it will allow me to open the group "transmission" and give me access to edit shift points, torque converter lockup, and others (akin to my old Superchips Custom Tuning Software), I'm all over it!

If it can do all of that, then I'd be very curious why it wouldn't let you see the spark and fuel tables as well. Maybe it is a matter of finding them in the raw hex tables? So, I guess I'll wait until you get into it a little bit more and see if it makes sense. OR maybe I'll just pick it up and see for myself and sell it when I am done if it doesn't do what I want it to do...

Last edited by Web 3.0; 09-28-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Forum Regular

Well It now only two weeks until the swayp happens. I have been getting pretty nervous but hoping the engine will run so that i don't have to swap it back to V6. Karim (Kanzus) helped with the Key Gen which produces the DAS key that raises DAS to developer mode. I went through the process and just tested it Now when I first enter a car inDAS it gives me a warning in German which I assmume says "you are in developer mode so be carefull what you screw with. Developer mode enables you to change just about anything and is only in german as it was intended to be used in the factory to build prototypes and make adjustments to pre production cars. Eeric will be the intepreter while in Developer mode and he has also bought my other set of MB wheels for his SSB Crossfire.
You could translate yourself with Babylon online or if you're really into it, just learn German with Rosetta Stone...

This way you don't have to be dependent on someone else.

God helps those who help themselves...

Justin

Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
You could translate yourself with Babylon online or if you're really into it, just learn German with Rosetta Stone...

This way you don't have to be dependent on someone else.

God helps those who help themselves...

Justin
Eric (Eeric on this forum) is a great guy and just hosted a huge Crossfire group at the hotel he manages for the Texas Motor Speedway event we just had this past weekend. He has an identical car to mine and is from Austria. I don't think I want to learn a new language in a little over a week and without Eric's help I would use something like Google translate but that is cumbersome. I only know the bad German words but haven't seen any of these words in developer mode.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Web 3.0
I'll have to watch your progress and think on this a bit more before I commit to the DAS. I really need to see how extensive it is (or not) as information on it is sketchy.

I see some benefits to your thinking but there is one problem with just switching to an srt tune. It will have too much spark throughout the map as it is for a lower compression motor. So I'd be looking at the DAS plus the AEM. In theory, I should be able to do what I need to do (as far as boost is concerned) with the AEM itself.

That said, depending on what it can change, the DAS might make what I have to do with the AEM and the stock ECU that much easier!

Here is the major question on my mind. Does it allow changes to individual settings or only to groups of settings via a .bin file from another vehicle?

If it is restricted to a .bin file per group (such as transmission) I am not as interested. If it will allow me to open the group "transmission" and give me access to edit shift points, torque converter lockup, and others (akin to my old Superchips Custom Tuning Software), I'm all over it!

If it can do all of that, then I'd be very curious why it wouldn't let you see the spark and fuel tables as well. Maybe it is a matter of finding them in the raw hex tables? So, I guess I'll wait until you get into it a little bit more and see if it makes sense. OR maybe I'll just pick it up and see for myself and sell it when I am done if it doesn't do what I want it to do...
I have found it difficult to find out what all can be changed in DAS developer mode. I haven't tried to find out what you are asking since you are facing differnt problems than I am. Finding people who know what can be done is very tough. One forum you may want to join is: Digital Kaos - Cable & Satellite Forum I have found that there are people there who seem to have knowledge of developer mode. I was having trouble finding out how to get into developer mode and they helped me. I know you can do some pretty interesting things like turn off the speed limiter and you can even change the milage on your odometer. You can also swap different engines transmissions and rear ends and adjust the electronics to what ever the new ratios are. There are different ways to go about this. House of Power in CA and Eurocharged/LET motorsports have done similar projects. LET does have the ability to custom tune and has experience in developer mode.

My goal is to just make the car operate as if it came stock with the V8. After that I would like to add a rear mounted turbo, or HPS supercharger or what ever I can get to fit to get the power up. I don't believe I will have room for the Rotrex or under hood turbo. When I get to that point I will be very interested in what you know. The STAR DAS ran me about $750 plus about $200 for a T30 IBM lap top computer. Or you can spend $30,000 for the same thing from Mercedes.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 PM

I messed up some dates. My uncle will actually be here on October 10th not the 16th so you guys should look for some good progress that weekend. Less than two weeks!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Latana, too funny. I will be in Germany that week for work.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Latana, too funny. I will be in Germany that week for work.
I work for a division of Lufthansa and get there pretty often as well. Now I wish I would have learned more German.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:29 AM

I believe I already posted this but this is the best explanation of DAS developer mode that I have found.

DAS Developer Mode User Guide

Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM

How attainable is unlocking an ECU, SRT or otherwise, for the rest of us who aren't capable of getting our own copy of the DAS software? Assuming that this whole thing works will it benifit the many in any way? Oh and i wish the best of luck to you by the way cause a V8 converted crossifre would be lethal.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary