Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Lantana,

It's great to see it coming together. I've been on this thread since it started and hope you wrap it up successfully.

Take care,
SQ

Old 09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Lantana,

It's great to see it coming together. I've been on this thread since it started and hope you wrap it up successfully.

Take care,
SQ
Ditto that! Good luck with the build and btw, you have a PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was up late last night playing with the STAR system in simulation mode and then hooked it up to my stock Crossfire this morning. I was able to communicate with the car by selecting R170 SLK320. I tried to select other cars that used the same part number ECU but was not able to communicate becuase the Crossfire and R170 uses the 14 pin OBDII port to connect to the STAR system. Most Mercedes use a 38 pin connection that is located in the fuse box on the drivers side under the hood. If I cannot select cars that use my V8 ECU because it is looking for the 38 pin connection I may be dead in the water. I have sent an email to Beckmann to see if there is a way around this. I will report back on what I find.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if it doesn't work out, I'm sure you could find a buyer for that Star Diags setup. I'm half tempted to buy one myself. I just don't know what I'd do with it...

Old 09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I was up late last night playing with the STAR system in simulation mode and then hooked it up to my stock Crossfire this morning. I was able to communicate with the car by selecting R170 SLK320. I tried to select other cars that used the same part number ECU but was not able to communicate becuase the Crossfire and R170 uses the 14 pin OBDII port to connect to the STAR system. Most Mercedes use a 38 pin connection that is located in the fuse box on the drivers side under the hood. If I cannot select cars that use my V8 ECU because it is looking for the 38 pin connection I may be dead in the water. I have sent an email to Beckmann to see if there is a way around this. I will report back on what I find.
I think what you need is an ODB to ODB II adapter.
But i'm not 100% shure is this will work, because as far as i know ODB uses an other protocol than ODBII.

Küster DatenSysteme OnlineShop

Regards

Markus

Old 09-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular

No way that your 2000+ car isnt OBDII.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is it perhaps that you don't have the ECU from the other car in there yet? If you're communicating with the car, you're connected. There are only 4 wires you're actually using which are ground, power, serial and serial ground. I'm guessing it's just that you don't have the ECU from the C55 in there. Let me know what you come up with and give me a call as I'd like to talk with you about the StarDAS. You have my number.

Thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Skyshadow
No way that your 2000+ car isnt OBDII.
I think the StarDAS system he has isn't ODBII.
ODB II has 16 Pins.
Former ODB that MB had used is ODB and has a 38 pins ring connector.
The Crossfire has a ODB II connection.

Regards

Markus

Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock427
I think the StarDAS system he has isn't ODBII.
ODB II has 16 Pins.
Former ODB that MB had used is ODB and has a 38 pins ring connector.
The Crossfire has a ODB II connection. Markus
14/16 I didn't count them. All our Crossfires are OBDII as well as all Mercedes in the same year range. The problem is that MB also added a port that is 30 something pin to hook up to STAR DAS. this conection is usually in the fuse box. For cars that have this connection DAS expects you to hook up to it. I am checking to see if this is a problem and thinking about a plan B if it is.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Forum Regular

14/16 I didn't count them. All our Crossfires are OBDII as well as all Mercedes in the same year range. The problem is that MB also added a port that is 30 something pin to hook up to STAR DAS. this conection is usually in the fuse box. For cars that have this connection DAS expects you to hook up to it. I am checking to see if this is a problem and thinking about a plan B if it is.
Perhaps this ODB -> ODB II adapter will be a solution?

It's worth a try.

There are also other adapters availble (if you need other plugs).
Perhaps these adapters will also be available in the U.S.

Last edited by bigblock427; 09-19-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Perhaps this ODB -> ODB II adapter will be a solution?

It's worth a try.

There are also other adapters availble (if you need other plugs).
Perhaps these adapters will also be available in the U.S.
thank you for the link. That is interesting. Some SLK320's came with the 38 pin connection in the fuse box as well as the OBDII under the dash. I wonder if that the part of the wiring harness that that includes the fuse box and 38 pin connector can be adapted to the crossfire. I wonder when Mercedes started using this since some R170's had it and some only had OBDII like the Crossfire.

Kanzus (Karim) any ideas?

Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular

I think there was a changeover from ODB I to ODB II in the late 90's up to the early 2000's.

Found some other information:
ODB I wiring of 38 pin plug (sorry, only found it in german language)
OBD-2 Techn.Info

Star Diagnisis System 2009 (sorry, only found it in german language) which includes several adapters.
eBay Österreich: Mercedes Star Diagnose MB Star 2009 DEUTSCH mit IBM T30 (Artikel 330350869765 endet 11.08.09 21:00:00 MESZ)

Regards

Markus

Old 09-19-2009, 10:02 PM

I think there was a changeover from ODB I to ODB II in the late 90's up to the early 2000's.

Found some other information:
ODB I wiring of 38 pin plug (sorry, only found it in german language)
OBD-2 Techn.Info

Star Diagnisis System 2009 (sorry, only found it in german language) which includes several adapters.
eBay Österreich: Mercedes Star Diagnose MB Star 2009 DEUTSCH mit IBM T30 (Artikel 330350869765 endet 11.08.09 21:00:00 MESZ)

Regards

Markus
I really appreciate the research. I was doing some research as well today and found similar information. OBD1 wasn't standardized and what Mercedes used was propriatory and is the 38 pin connection located int he fuse box. When OBDII became required, MB added this but also kept the 38 pin for hook up to Star DAS. Some MB's omitted the the 38 pin such as the SLK320 which I why I can hook my crossfire up. To program the new ECU I will have to select a car that used that V8 ECU such as the CL500 that it came out of. When I tried to do this in DAS with the OBDII kooked up, I did not get the choice to select 16 pin and got an error message that I was not hooked up to the 38 pin. The adapter that you provided the link for is for cars with the 38 pin that want to hook an OBDII scanner to. I have the opposite prroblem. I am going to keep on try different V8 cars and try to find one that gives me the 16 pin option. Not sure what else to try. I am starting to think of plan B's such as adapt part of the wiring that includes the 18 pin from an SLK that came with it. The worst option but one that is guaranteed to work is to pull the entire electronics including the dash and ignition, key transmission and all modules from a C500. This is how the other guy in Germany got his V8 Crossfire to run.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:25 AM

Well I might have found something. I was in DAS simulation and found only one other vehichle that uses 16 pin instead of 38 for DAS connection and the 5 Liter V8. The G500 and it counldn't be much more different than a Crossfire. The G500 also uses the Bosch ME 2.8 which is what Crossfires come with as well as my donor.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 AM

Turns out I probably do not have a problem with the hooking up to DAS, I have done some checking and most Mercedes do not have the 38 pin after OBDII became mandatory. I should be OK. Just over two until the V8 goes in. Hope we can make it run!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 AM

You have both cable connector 16 and 38 pin, please see pic attached, I put legend on it.
You can Plug your DAS system in 16 and 38 connectors.
ME 2.8 ECU is OBDII compliant and use CAN Bus protocol (CAN = Controlled Area Network).

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
16-38-pin-DAS-1.bmp (2.25 MB, 51 views)
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by kanzus
You have both cable connector 16 and 38 pin, please see pic attached, I put legend on it.
You can Plug your DAS system in 16 and 38 connectors.
ME 2.8 ECU is OBDII compliant and use CAN Bus protocol (CAN = Controlled Area Network).
Thanks Kanzus, I have all the cables figured out. I got confused when I tried to connect to my V6 ECU. I had run my V6 ME 2.8 part number through EPC net and found that my stock Stiock Crossfire ECU had been used in many different MB cars. When I selected R170 - SLK320 - it gave me a choice of 16 pin or 38 pin. I selected 16 and was able to communicate with the ECU. I ran a quick test and of course the ECU passed but most of the other modules came back with a lower case "f" for "module unknown". I then tried to enter the ECU by slecting other vehicle that used the same part number ECU. Those cars did not give me an option for 38 pin and I was not able to communicate with the ECU so I thought those cars required a 38 pin connection. but I have now been told that very few MB cars still had the 38 pin once OBDII became mandatory. I should be fine as I have checked and the 2002 CL500 did not have a 38 pin.

Kanzus, When you programmed your car did you get a lot of thos small F's module unknown? How did you resolve that? or do you have too? Could you please give me a basic procedure list to follow once I have everthing bolted in and ready to go. I am assuming my first step will be to enter DAS as a CL500 and follow the process for a programming a new ECU since mine is now an unlocked virgin.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Lightbulb Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Thanks Kanzus, I have all the cables figured out. I got confused when I tried to connect to my V6 ECU. I had run my V6 ME 2.8 part number through EPC net and found that my stock Stiock Crossfire ECU had been used in many different MB cars. When I selected R170 - SLK320 - it gave me a choice of 16 pin or 38 pin. I selected 16 and was able to communicate with the ECU. I ran a quick test and of course the ECU passed but most of the other modules came back with a lower case "f" for "module unknown". I then tried to enter the ECU by slecting other vehicle that used the same part number ECU. Those cars did not give me an option for 38 pin and I was not able to communicate with the ECU so I thought those cars required a 38 pin connection. but I have now been told that very few MB cars still had the 38 pin once OBDII became mandatory. I should be fine as I have checked and the 2002 CL500 did not have a 38 pin.

Kanzus, When you programmed your car did you get a lot of thos small F's module unknown? How did you resolve that? or do you have too? Could you please give me a basic procedure list to follow once I have everthing bolted in and ready to go. I am assuming my first step will be to enter DAS as a CL500 and follow the process for a programming a new ECU since mine is now an unlocked virgin.
Crossfire modules are different from those present in MB SLK, I got also F (=Fail --> error stored and present) or f (fail --> Stored) when run diagnostic within DAS.

But you might use DAS for programming engine ECU / EZS only, other modules might be different and not recognized by DAS.
To program ECU when it is virgin, I used 'Initial Satrt up' from ECU menu then follow procedure assistant.
You mignt also use DAS procedure which is 'Drive Authorization System' from EZS module.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM

Many of the modules are different form SLK or other MB's becuase of the 19" and 18" wheels that come on the car which produce differnce tire diameters from front and rear. This also resulted in different gear raitios. So the the modules all look the same but have different programming. I hope I can make this thing run!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Forum Regular

Damn thing looks like it's the brains to the Manhattan Project

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary