Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Great to hear about your getting back on track. I have been following your post. Maybe the solutions to the problems your dealing with and solving will be of help to others.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 AM
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by kanzus
Hi Tuners,

Are u all in holidays ??

I need some help about transmission programming improvement, now that the car is running.
Transmission ECU, called TCU (Transmission control unit), sometimes called TCM (M as module), is EGS52 family and it is fully programmable.
As you know, I convert my transmission also, now it is an AMG 722.636 speedshift gearbox (of course automatic!), called Tiptronic at MB also.
I did not any changement at the programming, Gear ratio are different from original (3.65 vs AMG 2.85), but 2.85 gear ratio is well programmed in the ECU (ME2.8.1).

Could you help me with your advices, because I tryed to reprogram it using DAS, but no way, I always get error communication and I get complicated information and tables also.
All what I did, is restting TCU because there was few fault codes, espacially 'Torque reached limit' and so on. Tranny Fluid is OK, but it is not smooth when changing gear up and down, it's too brutal.

Do someone can share AMG EGS52 722.636 bin file ?

Hearing from U.

Karim
No answer for my query ...

Anyway, A friend of mine from Powerchip Australia sent me bin file for AMG Transmission, I will program it on my EGS32 TCU and have a run ..

To be continued

Old 09-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Wink Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
Tomorrow my ECU goes to Beckman to become a virgin again. There is still alot of unknowns but Kanzus' experience is very helpful although there are some different issues we each have to deal with.

The only real concern with the swap is the electronics. the engine swap couldn't be much more straight forward.

Here is the therory:

Program the new ECU to the car using the Star DAS. The Star system does not allow you to chose Crossfire, so I have to select something similar that came with a 5.0 V8. Maybe a C or CLK500? May also have to use developer mode to resolve other issues. Not sure what will happen when it reads a Chrysler VIN number??? No on knows the answers to this but I hope we can work it out so I don't have to put the V6 back in!

I am not changing transmissions but the gear ratios and rear end gears have to match the selected car. this could be a problem but have been told that in developer mode this can all be changed. I do think this has to all be programed correctly prior to trying to start the car. Once the key has been turned three times the ECU is locked again and any changes after that are almost impossible.
Hi Lantana,

Welcome back.
I advice you to make a copy of two eproms on your ECU after you get it back from Beckman, it's very important, so you can renew it your own if ever you make a mistake (+ 3 key turns), just reflash it with files you backup (you need desolder + Chip programmer).
As I said in a previous post, it concerns two Eproms:
1 - 29F400BB PSOP 44pin (front panel ECU) cf. pic attached.
2 - 5P08C 8 pin (back ecu panel).

These are two serial eprom that contains car code data.

On, the other hand, I confirm that gear ratio is programmable with DAS developper kit.

When entering DAS, just chose car with chassis type and not with entering VIN number: ie: DAS --> cars --> W215 --> 215.375 CL 500 because your ECU was taken from CL500 i think.

If you don't have MB EPC, you can visit online an interesting site : PARTSCATALOG.RU

Karim.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pin24_bootmode_222.jpg (53.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Karim,

Thank you for the response. I am waiting on my Star system to come from Velma. I also had to buy a T30 that is on it was from an Ebay seller. Is it possible to play with the system and get familiar with it prior to hooking it to my car? I may hook it to my car just for fun and see what happens. I guess to keep to some separation between Mercedes and Chrysler, they gave Chrysler a version of the Star system that can only work on a Crossfire and the MB Star system does not have Crossfire which is probably why some MB dealers say they can't work on a Crossfire.

Great to hear that the transmission ratios can be programed! I was worried about that. Is it safe to assume that the rear end ratio can also be programmed? I am trying to get the car running without changing the trans or rear end.

You are correct that my engine is from a CL500. When selecting car in DAS why is it important to select CL500? I know I cannot select Crossfire (just not there) and cannot select R170 SLK because they never had a V8. I was thinking of C500 since that is the closest car to a Crossfire that I can think of that came with a my V8 engine.

The ECM will read key and VIN codes during programing right? Do you think the system will notice that my VIN is not a MB VIN? At start up doesn't the ECM compare the VIN and Key information that is stored in the ECM to what is coming from the dash?

Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Karim,

Thank you for the response. I am waiting on my Star system to come from Velma. I also had to buy a T30 that is on it was from an Ebay seller. Is it possible to play with the system and get familiar with it prior to hooking it to my car? I may hook it to my car just for fun and see what happens. I guess to keep to some separation between Mercedes and Chrysler, they gave Chrysler a version of the Star system that can only work on a Crossfire and the MB Star system does not have Crossfire which is probably why some MB dealers say they can't work on a Crossfire.
Absolutely YES, there is a module called DAS SIMULATION, it allows you to get familiar with software, very interesting.

You are correct that my engine is from a CL500. When selecting car in DAS why is it important to select CL500? I know I cannot select Crossfire (just not there) and cannot select R170 SLK because they never had a V8. I was thinking of C500 since that is the closest car to a Crossfire that I can think of that came with a my V8 engine.
DAS Software execute different modules and scripts for each car model, so if you are checking engine ECU, you have to use car model in DAS tha uses ECU you supervise, so if you swap your engine and ECU, you have to use CL500 from DAS and chose right year of construction.
From the other hand, if you have to check other modules then your engine ECU (ie AC, instrument cluster, ABS, ESP ...), just choose your car model (ie R170).

The ECM will read key and VIN codes during programing right? Do you think the system will notice that my VIN is not a MB VIN? At start up doesn't the ECM compare the VIN and Key information that is stored in the ECM to what is coming from the dash?
It will notice it and give you error message if you choose to select car by VIN, so that's why i advised you in my last post to choose car by chassis number (ie 215 --> 215.375 --> CL 500).

PS: Please backup eprom data before plugging DAS & engine, you can ask your nearest electronic Shop.

Karim.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 PM

Absolutely YES, there is a module called DAS SIMULATION, it allows you to get familiar with software, very interesting.

DAS Software execute different modules and scripts for each car model, so if you are checking engine ECU, you have to use car model in DAS tha uses ECU you supervise, so if you swap your engine and ECU, you have to use CL500 from DAS and chose right year of construction.
From the other hand, if you have to check other modules then your engine ECU (ie AC, instrument cluster, ABS, ESP ...), just choose your car model (ie R170).

It will notice it and give you error message if you choose to select car by VIN, so that's why i advised you in my last post to choose car by chassis number (ie 215 --> 215.375 --> CL 500).

PS: Please backup eprom data before plugging DAS & engine, you can ask your nearest electronic Shop.

Karim.
Thanks Karim

Does it make any difference that Beckman is unlocking the ECM to make it a virgin? It is my understanding that after they do this the ECM can be programed to any car that uses the ME 2.8 V8 ECM. Maybe I should check with Beckman to see what gets ereased and what doesn't? You may also want to send your phone number through private message to me so I have a life line if needed! I should have my ECM back by the end of next week.

This weekend I have to take the V8 exhaust manifolds (C43/C500/C55) to someone who can weld in the O2 bungs for the sensors to match my V6 manifols.

Karim did you use the same type exhaust manifolds? It appears that with the correct V8 C class manifolds my exhaust will bolt right up.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:19 PM

Update:
For you guys that are really interested in doing something like this yourself. Please click on the link below and read the whole page. Also there is a great forum available as well which I just joined. I should have the virgin ECM back this week from Beckman and have the the Star Diagnostic Compact 3 system here within a week. The T-30 laptop required to run Star DAS, arrived a couple of days ago and I am writing this message on it, so I guess I can give the seller positive feedback. I had a mechanic that I was going to pay to help with the electronics, but after months of studying I decided I wanted to do it myself. I also found out that the mechanic had no experience with developer mode which I believe will be needed to make the car operate normally. Most mechanics have little or no knowledge of developer mode. I am studying every chance I get now as October 16th will be here soon and my uncle is itching to rip that V6 out. He is coming here from Redlands CA where I grew up.

DAS Developer Mode User Guide

Last edited by LantanaTX; 09-14-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Forum Regular

Good luck as this seems like an overwhelming, head spinning project. Hope it all goes well.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:22 AM

Thanks Karim

Does it make any difference that Beckman is unlocking the ECM to make it a virgin? It is my understanding that after they do this the ECM can be programed to any car that uses the ME 2.8 V8 ECM. Maybe I should check with Beckman to see what gets ereased and what doesn't? You may also want to send your phone number through private message to me so I have a life line if needed! I should have my ECM back by the end of next week.

This weekend I have to take the V8 exhaust manifolds (C43/C500/C55) to someone who can weld in the O2 bungs for the sensors to match my V6 manifols.

Karim did you use the same type exhaust manifolds? It appears that with the correct V8 C class manifolds my exhaust will bolt right up.
Hi,
O2 sensor are not on exhaust manifolds on CLK, they are on exhaust line, see pics attached.
I sent you PM with my Phone #, please check it, just be carefull with jetlag (Texas Lantana / France Paris) .

087 A 0015405017 OXYGEN SENSOR RIGHT CONTROL PROBE IN FRONT OF CATALYST
087 A 0015404617 OXYGEN SENSOR LEFT DIAGNOSIS PROBE BEHIND CATALYST
087 A 0015404617 OXYGEN SENSOR RIGHT DIAGNOSIS PROBE BEHIND CATALYST.

Karim.

Attached Images
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks Karim,

I got the private message. The Crossfire/SLK exhaust manifold is not shown in those pictures, nor is the C43 manifold that I am using. My V6 manifolds have the O2 sensors in the manifolds and not in the exhaust down tubes. So I need to have bungs welded into the C43 manifolds which I will get done this week.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Lightbulb Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Thanks Karim,

I got the private message. The Crossfire/SLK exhaust manifold is not shown in those pictures, nor is the C43 manifold that I am using. My V6 manifolds have the O2 sensors in the manifolds and not in the exhaust down tubes. So I need to have bungs welded into the C43 manifolds which I will get done this week.
You need both EPC (electronic part component) software: for Chrysler and for Mercedes Benz.
Normally, you got MB EPC on your Laptop T30 you received, you can download and install Chrysler EPC from these rapid** links :
Chrysler ProQuest USA. Catalog for selection of spare parts (2008)
or:
Ýëåêòðîííûé êàòàëîã Chrysler International PAIS DVD 10_2008 » Ôèëüìû, èãðû, ñîôò, ìóçûêà, ïðåìèóì-àêêàóíòû íà RapidShare.com...

So you can compare parts between your crossfire car and mercedes engine parts.

Karim.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Thanks again! I have been using the old school method of looking around junk yards/breakers and thinking "yea that looks like it would work" !

Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 PM

Anyone following this thread and in the Dallas area that speaks German? I will need a German speaking person to use the developer mode in the Star DAS system. I also found a good site that allows me to cross reference parts and all the cars that used the same part. I am entering the numbers of all the various models to find out which V8 MB has the most simularity. This will be helpful when I have to decide what car to enter when I start programing. Selecting Crossfire is not an option and selecting R170 SLK isn't an option either since they never had a V8. No matter what I select I am bound to have some errors when I try to program the ECU but I am am hopefull these can be worked out in developer mode. The site I mentioned above is www.epc.startecinfo.com It is free for a year. If anyone wants to try it out, once you are in do not try to put in your VIN number but instead hit F11 and you can enter part numbers and it will show you what cars used that part. You can then select a chassis and see the parts diagram. BTW, there are no Chrysler part numbers on our various electronic modules. They are all MB part numbers and start with the letter A. I ran the part number of our stock ECU and it was used in just about every V6 MB made with the 112 V6 engine.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, is it possible to adjust the Gain or sensitivty on my simulated Posi-traction brakes, through the use of the DAS interface tool?

There was a v8 r170, I saw it on TopGear, a very old episode, it was a black r170 with 55 motor, probably NA it must have been the predecessor to the r171 AMG55

Last edited by BlueStorm; 09-16-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
Hey guys, is it possible to adjust the Gain or sensitivty on my simulated Posi-traction brakes, through the use of the DAS interface tool?

There was a v8 r170, I saw it on TopGear, a very old episode, it was a black r170 with 55 motor, probably NA it must have been the predecessor to the r171 AMG55
The V8 R170 was not factory and was built by Brabus. It was pretty much the same as the Startech V8 Crossfire they built. not sure about your other question.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Anyone following this thread and in the Dallas area that speaks German? I will need a German speaking person to use the developer mode in the Star DAS system. I also found a good site that allows me to cross reference parts and all the cars that used the same part. I am entering the numbers of all the various models to find out which V8 MB has the most simularity. This will be helpful when I have to decide what car to enter when I start programing. Selecting Crossfire is not an option and selecting R170 SLK isn't an option either since they never had a V8. No matter what I select I am bound to have some errors when I try to program the ECU but I am am hopefull these can be worked out in developer mode. The site I mentioned above is www.epc.startecinfo.com It is free for a year. If anyone wants to try it out, once you are in do not try to put in your VIN number but instead hit F11 and you can enter part numbers and it will show you what cars used that part. You can then select a chassis and see the parts diagram. BTW, there are no Chrysler part numbers on our various electronic modules. They are all MB part numbers and start with the letter A. I ran the part number of our stock ECU and it was used in just about every V6 MB made with the 112 V6 engine.
Let me correct link, it's EPC-net Online (...startek.. with letter 'K' & not 'c' as mentioned).
One of the most helpful product for cross reference is ESI BOSCH, I used it to select car/chassis model in DAS :
Take ECU OFF the engine and note its second part number (the Bosch one) begining in general with 0 26x ...
Then crossreference Bosch part number in ESI Bosch software: it will list you Mercedes cars using that ECU: then choose one of these cars in DAS.

When I programmed my V8 ECU after conversion with DAS, I have chosen CL 55 AMG (w215) model and not CLK (w209) model whitch is my car, because ECU was taken from CL 55.
Now I programmed ECU using E 55 AMG bin file, it's smoother running, now when connecting DAS, I choose E 55 AMG Kompressor (W211) car model.

Selecting car model means selecting script family in DAS to communicate with ECU on CAN BUS.

Karim.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM

Let me correct link, it's EPC-net Online (...startek.. with letter 'K' & not 'c' as mentioned).
One of the most helpful product for cross reference is ESI BOSCH, I used it to select car/chassis model in DAS :
Take ECU OFF the engine and note its second part number (the Bosch one) begining in general with 0 26x ...
Then crossreference Bosch part number in ESI Bosch software: it will list you Mercedes cars using that ECU: then choose one of these cars in DAS.

When I programmed my V8 ECU after conversion with DAS, I have chosen CL 55 AMG (w215) model and not CLK (w209) model whitch is my car, because ECU was taken from CL 55.
Now I programmed ECU using E 55 AMG bin file, it's smoother running, now when connecting DAS, I choose E 55 AMG Kompressor (W211) car model.

Selecting car model means selecting script family in DAS to communicate with ECU on CAN BUS.

Karim.
Good information Karim,

I was able to make friends with a guy named Mary that owns LMV industries. He does Star DAS trainging all over the USA. He gave me a lot of good information as he trains all of the mechanics. He said that he doesn't know a single mechanic in the USA that is qualified to help me. He said I would just be paying someone to play and learn and thought it would be much cheaper for me to play and learn since I bought the Star system from your friend Velma. she was very good to work with! Mary mentioned that the only person who could help me to resolve errors in the electronics was non other than Bob Beckman. Bob called me today as he was working on my ECU. He has decided to help me with the programming by using the remote capabilities of the Star system. Bob will be programming my car from Durham NC. We are hoping to have the mechanical work done on the 17th or 18th of October and then get Bob online to assist with the programming. Now I am really getting scared but also excited!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:04 PM

Forgot to mention one little unexpected problem. When Bob Beckman called today he informed me that there was something burned out in my ECU. He wanted to know the history of the car. I explained that the donor car was a 2002 CL500 that was totaled with only about 1000 miles on it. It had been hit in the rear and exploded. The fire did not reach the engine compartment. The car was tied up in litigation for a few years before it was released ot the junk yard. He felt better about knowing the history and is fixing the ECU. I should have it back by Monday.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Wow what a day! within acout 20 minutes, the mail lady delivered my new AMG center caps, FedEX Ground delivered my 2009 SL550 wheels, UPS dropped off some new hub centric wheel spacers, and THEN DHL delivered my STAR Diagnostic System! If any of you would love to have the $30,000. STAR System used by the dealers and pay under a $1,000 let me know. Kanzus got me in touch with a great company that sell the cloned system. I bought the Compact 3 system for $774 which came is everything but the required IBM T-30 laptop. I bought the laptop in like new condition on Ebay. I am jnst now starting to play with it in simulation mode and am going to see if it will work on a Crossfire by selecting R170 SLK320. Here is what all you get (see picture) Cables to work on any MB, hard disk with factory software for IBM T-30, Multiplexer, and even a nice locking hard case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Star DAS001.jpg (295.4 KB, 274 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn! I'm so jealous Lantana. I'd really like to mess around with that Star Diags system.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary