Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
So Kanzus got his running, what's going on with Lantana??? I might be in need of some of your expertise soon. I am doing a motor swap on an old Volvo S70. 5 cylinder turbo. The guy loves this POS so much he's paying the 6300 for a factory reman. Which means no warranty core return. Looks like I'm getting paid money and a turbo to put in a motor. Limited Crossfire my be second turbo in line....
What kind of turbo is it? I hope your not going to just bolt on any old turbo because it is free .

Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv also been wanting to put a V8 in my crossfire for the longest. i was looking at some you tube vids and i say a few people used and LS1 corvette engine in a Nissan 240. I was wondering if it is possible do Put an LS1 Motor in my Crossfire. Cuz if i could i would definatly do that. And most important that motor is not expensive. And for those wondering its a 5.7 v8.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 AM

I had a LS1 powered RX7, and my step dad currently has a LS1 powered wrangler...
would require a bit of custom work. soo if you have the money, it could happen!
maybe try talking to Brian Hinson... Hinsonsupercars.com

Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 AM

HI Tuners,

I just returned from hollydays that I thought deserved, I bring with me a video of my first run with my CLK 55 AMG Kompressor. I assure you that the limit is far from 250 km / h, but I lifted my foot off the accelerator at this level because it is difficult to drive and take the video with the other hand at the same time, I would say that's crazy ..

Not bad for a first run, isn't it !

Here is the link: YouTube - CLK 55 AMG K 247 Km/h - By KANZUS
CLK 55 AMG K 247 Km/h - By KANZUS

Hearing from You.
Karim.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kanzus
HI Tuners,

I just returned from hollydays that I thought deserved, I bring with me a video of my first run with my CLK 55 AMG Kompressor. I assure you that the limit is far from 250 km / h, but I lifted my foot off the accelerator at this level because it is difficult to drive and take the video with the other hand at the same time, I would say that's crazy ..

Hearing from You.
Karim.

Dude, sweet stuff but is this the Xfire with the v8 engine that you all were talking about?

Or were you driving a Benz?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by nate_man
Dude, sweet stuff but is this the Xfire with the v8 engine that you all were talking about?

Or were you driving a Benz?
BENZ BENZ, You can see it on the steering Wheel .

Karim

Old 08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Forum Regular

BENZ BENZ, You can see it on the steering Wheel .

Karim
Yeah that was why I asked but thought that this thread had you putting a V8 in the xfire, I was hoping...... that you had it done

Old 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kanzus vbmenu_register("postmenu_357630", true);

User Gallery

Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary - 04-01-2009 , 09:38 AM

Hello Boys,
I would like to join your conversation because i think I can tune up this upgrade/conversion from mercedes v6 to v8 engine.
I'm now upgrading my automatic 2003 CLK 240 (v6-2.6l-177hp - 125kw) to a 2003 V8 55AMG taken from another CLK whitch i bought 2 weeks ago with automatic speedshift gearbox and ECU.

dshift gearbox and ECU.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Forum Regular

wish I had the time to tinker on mine, but I could care less about the big v8 conversion as I'd rather see someone get Kanzus to integrate the SRT6 ecu into the NA crossire, so we slowfires can low boost with- out so many special gagets required to trick the ecu.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:14 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by black05
Hello Boys,
I would like to join your conversation because i think I can tune up this upgrade/conversion from mercedes v6 to v8 engine.
I'm now upgrading my automatic 2003 CLK 240 (v6-2.6l-177hp - 125kw) to a 2003 V8 55AMG taken from another CLK whitch i bought 2 weeks ago with automatic speedshift gearbox and ECU.

dshift gearbox and ECU.
You need to send LantanaTX a PM...

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ion-diary.html

Old 08-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Received 908 Likes on 708 Posts

HI Tuners,

Hearing from You.
Karim.

Next time, don't concentrate on the speedo so much - I wanna see the view at that speed!

I saw 6,000 rpm - gettin it kinda close to redline, weren't you?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 08-13-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Black05 I sent you a PM

Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Question Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Hi Tuners,

Are u all in holidays ??

I need some help about transmission programming improvement, now that the car is running.
Transmission ECU, called TCU (Transmission control unit), sometimes called TCM (M as module), is EGS52 family and it is fully programmable.
As you know, I convert my transmission also, now it is an AMG 722.636 speedshift gearbox (of course automatic!), called Tiptronic at MB also.
I did not any changement at the programming, Gear ratio are different from original (3.65 vs AMG 2.85), but 2.85 gear ratio is well programmed in the ECU (ME2.8.1).

Could you help me with your advices, because I tryed to reprogram it using DAS, but no way, I always get error communication and I get complicated information and tables also.
All what I did, is restting TCU because there was few fault codes, espacially 'Torque reached limit' and so on. Tranny Fluid is OK, but it is not smooth when changing gear up and down, it's too brutal.

Do someone can share AMG EGS52 722.636 bin file ?

Hearing from U.

Karim

Old 08-29-2009, 03:29 AM

Ahhh, I just spent forever reading this whole thread, and your still not done! JEEZ! I know how it goes though, I have a 1st gen rx7 stilling in my garage waiting for me to slide the 2nd gen turbo engine into it, along with a great many other things to go along. These two projects are sick though, and as I get closer to finishing the rx7 I will be looking into one of two engine swaps into my xfire, wither the same here or a 20b twin turbo rotary engine. Looking like the rotary will be far easier electroniclly but harder mechaniclly.
Very good job though to both of you. TX, I really cant wait to see this car off and running. Very nice.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Thumbs up Re: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary

Originally Posted by CresFresh
Ahhh, I just spent forever reading this whole thread, and your still not done! JEEZ! I know how it goes though, I have a 1st gen rx7 stilling in my garage waiting for me to slide the 2nd gen turbo engine into it, along with a great many other things to go along. These two projects are sick though, and as I get closer to finishing the rx7 I will be looking into one of two engine swaps into my xfire, wither the same here or a 20b twin turbo rotary engine. Looking like the rotary will be far easier electroniclly but harder mechaniclly.
Very good job though to both of you. TX, I really cant wait to see this car off and running. Very nice.
U can see minr running, just check youtube link i sent above, or type KANZUS in search.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM

I have been working on other things but am now back on track. Today I bought the MB Star diagnostic system and an IBM T30 laptop. My uncle who is the race car mechanic will be here for 9 days starting October 10th. I am tying up a few loose ends so that as soon as he gets here we can dig into it. Tomorrow my ECU goes to Beckman to become a virgin again. There is still alot of unknowns but Kanzus' experience is very helpful although there are some different issues we each have to deal with.

The only real concern with the swap is the electronics. the engine swap couldn't be much more straight forward.

Here is the therory:

Program the new ECU to the car using the Star DAS. The Star system does not allow you to chose Crossfire, so I have to select something similar that came with a 5.0 V8. Maybe a C or CLK500? May also have to use developer mode to resolve other issues. Not sure what will happen when it reads a Chrysler VIN number??? No on knows the answers to this but I hope we can work it out so I don't have to put the V6 back in!

I am not changing transmissions but the gear ratios and rear end gears have to match the selected car. this could be a problem but have been told that in developer mode this can all be changed. I do think this has to all be programed correctly prior to trying to start the car. Once the key has been turned three times the ECU is locked again and any changes after that are almost impossible.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

how are you going to pass the smog inspection with a V8 motor under the hood?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
I have been working on other things but am now back on track. Today I bought the MB Star diagnostic system and an IBM T30 laptop. My uncle who is the race car mechanic will be here for 9 days starting October 10th. I am tying up a few loose ends so that as soon as he gets here we can dig into it. Tomorrow my ECU goes to Beckman to become a virgin again. There is still alot of unknowns but Kanzus' experience is very helpful although there are some different issues we each have to deal with.

The only real concern with the swap is the electronics. the engine swap couldn't be much more straight forward.

Here is the therory:

Program the new ECU to the car using the Star DAS. The Star system does not allow you to chose Crossfire, so I have to select something similar that came with a 5.0 V8. Maybe a C or CLK500? May also have to use developer mode to resolve other issues. Not sure what will happen when it reads a Chrysler VIN number??? No on knows the answers to this but I hope we can work it out so I don't have to put the V6 back in!

I am not changing transmissions but the gear ratios and rear end gears have to match the selected car. this could be a problem but have been told that in developer mode this can all be changed. I do think this has to all be programed correctly prior to trying to start the car. Once the key has been turned three times the ECU is locked again and any changes after that are almost impossible.
I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but a couple things crossed my mind reading you post.

When you say the turn the key 3 times bit, hasn't the key already been turned more than three times. If it's impossible then then it should be impossible now right?? Am I making sense on that one?

Once the ECM is "virgin" again, what's it reading a Chrysler VIN from? Maybe the TCM, maybe, that's all I could think of. Nothing else is going to be VIN specific.

Justin

Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlueStorm
how are you going to pass the smog inspection with a V8 motor under the hood?
I am not too worried about this. I have checked on this and there are plenty of ways to make it legal. It will have to pass smog for the year of the engine. Also most states have a smog referees and if all else fails, I have friends in the right places.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep2Xfire
I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, but a couple things crossed my mind reading you post.

When you say the turn the key 3 times bit, hasn't the key already been turned more than three times. If it's impossible then then it should be impossible now right?? Am I making sense on that one?

Once the ECM is "virgin" again, what's it reading a Chrysler VIN from? Maybe the TCM, maybe, that's all I could think of. Nothing else is going to be VIN specific.

Justin
The three attempts start once the virgin V8 ECM is installed with the V8 and after programing. The V8 donor ECM currently has the VIN and Key information stored in it from the CL500 that the engine came from. Returning the ECM to Virgin gets rid of this information and the Star Diagnostic system is used to re-program the the ECM. Once programed the engine should start. After three starts the ECM locks in the VIN and Key information along with other information.

Every time you start your car, The ECM is checking the key, VIN etc.. to make sure everything jives. If it doesn't the imobilization system kicks in and prevents the car from starting. Most of the IMO data is stored in the dash. This is why some engine swaps require using the dash and ignition key from the donor.

Quick Reply: V8 Crossfire Conversion Diary