Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

I have a 2005 Roadster that is doing the same thing. I already replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. Now is stall occasionally. This occurs sometimes when I am driving. It just dies. I have power because the lights and radio stay on but the engine does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. After about 5 minutes it starts up. A real pain in heavy traffic!! If you get any good answers, please send them to me as well. I would appreciate it!

Robb

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBBSOUTHTEXAS
I have a 2005 Roadster that is doing the same thing. I already replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. Now is stall occasionally. This occurs sometimes when I am driving. It just dies. I have power because the lights and radio stay on but the engine does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. After about 5 minutes it starts up. A real pain in heavy traffic!! If you get any good answers, please send them to me as well. I would appreciate it!

Robb
Did you Look at the Relat Control Module (RCM)? It has 5 relays in it that have the solder joints come loose. One of those relays is the fuel pump which would cause engine stopping and a no restart. Sometimes heat was causing these issues when the solder joints came loose. Also check for burnt relays which can also be cleaned.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post430634

Try this from Tighed1 something to look at anyway. It is an easy fix if this works. Tighed1 is a good guy he will do the soldering if asked if you are not handy with a soldering iron. Just follow the directions on the link here.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 10-21-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBBSOUTHTEXAS

Robb
If by "absolutely nothing" you also mean the engine does not crank over, then yes, RCM is probably your problem. See the link Larry provided.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 AM

DaniielNTX, I bought a crankshaft position sensor. My questions are: Should I replace the original that is still on the xfire? Should I wait till the one on the xfire becomes defective before replacing it? In other words, do they all go bad (original and replacements) or do just the originally installed ones go bad?

Regards
Tom Fineran

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 AM

If I replace my stock crankshaft sensor now at 5,000 miles, will that prevent this issue from ever happening in the future?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 AM

I asked that question ofDaniielNTX. His reply to me was to wait till I had a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The one I bought was a Bosch brand. What brand did you get?
Regards
Tom Fineran
Go Chippewas!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by tfineran
I asked that question ofDaniielNTX. His reply to me was to wait till I had a failure of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The one I bought was a Bosch brand. What brand did you get?
Regards
Tom Fineran
Go Chippewas!
I haven't bought anything yet although I'll probably pick one up now along with the tools in case this ever starts to happen.

Also, good to see another MI Xfire owner! I've only been to Central once although I love the drive.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 601 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by wpetraska
If I replace my stock crankshaft sensor now at 5,000 miles, will that prevent this issue from ever happening in the future?
I don't think so. The failure of the CPS is related to heat exposure from its mounting location on the engine (if I remember correctly). Most likely this is something that will need replacing every 3-5 years, depending on an owner's driving habits. Daily Driver: 3 years; Weekend Trips/Cruises: 4-5 years. It's not really expensive, so probably good maintenance to swap it out periodically.

If I'm off in my perspective, others can chime in.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Actually the hardest thing for me was prying off the plug on top of the CPS with a pliers. After that it was smooth sailing.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You do know that there is a lock on that connector dont you? ..... well, maybe not anymore... you just press it in with your finger/thumb and then pull the connector...may have to wiggle it a little... mine just slid right off...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Hey MikeR,

I know about the clamp on the connector but I have small hands and slender fingers so I couldn't pry it off. I am not sure how people could with their bare fingers. I enlisted the help of a set of pliers which are a lot more stronger than my fingers. I was careful not to break the clamp because I knew it was there.

Last edited by solnyc2; 03-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM

I got my sensor from advance auto lol. Mine works great after i replaced mine.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM

Just sat down after replacing the CPS on my 2004 X-fire. Don't know if it will fix my hot start and stall problem but the soldering of the ECM as prescribed did not. In any case, as with most DIY auto projects, the job is eased a great deal by possession of the correct tools. The sensor is located in what I would call the bell housing behind or protected by a metal shield. The removal of the plug is easy once you grasp the fact that you need to locate the tab locking it in and press the portion closest to you as you grasp the plug and pull it out (cool engine is recommended for those without teflon hands).

Now, as described by many, the bolt holding the sensor in place is a spline bolt and I had to purchase a set of spline sockets (AutoZone $14.95). The size is 1/4". The only set I could find was for a 1/4" ratchet which does not fit into the small space between the bolt - the metal shield - and the CPS body. I decided to remove the metal shield (7/16" socket from my new purchase) which made access much easier. When removing the shield, there are two large spline bolts. Go around to the passenger side to reach the one farthest from the CPS. The bolts are long so do not worry if you are ratcheting for a while.

BTW, the CPS was purchased at AutoZone for $61. Part #CSS825.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:10 AM

im having this exact same problem the car stalled on me out of no where same code poped up i let the car cool down for 10 min after cranking it 20 times and it came back on like magic thanks now i know what the problem is

Last edited by bionicdriver; 08-01-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by lewdog86
i have a 2004 xfire limited with 71000mi but i seem to have 2 problems this last weekend i was at a buddys and i had a few cold ones in me and we showed each other are cars i took the top cover off that holds the air filters well i didnt quite get it all the way back on and forgot about it the next day drove around and noticed my car seemed to be trying to stall and the check engine light came on then i rememberd that i forgot to put the cover all the way back on so i put it back on rite and it fixed the stalling problem but the check engine lite remained on for a couple days then it went off but today one of my fellow wokers brought in the code reader even thowe the check engine lite is off he still got P0335 CODE which is the crank shft positioning sensor

i was wanting the code reader for the problem below but im not sure if the problem below is related at all to the problem above which seems to be ok now cuz my car dont stall or any thing like ive herd in other forums it just completly dies for like 5 min.

the other problem this it has happend 3 times and at a completly random time ill be driving down the road normal everything working normally no caution lites or nothing and my cars power just completly shuts down and when u try to start it rite off the bat it wont turn over at all but the fan will kick on as well as everything else will come back on as normal but after it sits their for like five-10min it starts rite back up and will drive like nothin ever happend but i cant tell when it will do it next and the last time it did it on a mountain pass with nowheres to pull off rite past a corner that really scared me and now id defanintly would like to know what it is and how to fix it please help.

exact thing happened to me i was driving out of nowhere it silently shut down on me i tried crankin it 10 times no go then after 15 min it started in the middle of downtown people were thinking i was stealing a car but then it happened to me at night time luckily i was goin downhill i coasted but now i know what the problem is i feel much better

Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

It happened again, the car stalled right in front of Whole Foods yesterday! Very embarrassing indeed. This is the second time around for me and I'm pretty PISSED off about it. I can honestly say that my Crossfire has been one of the most unreliable cars I've ever owned. Why is it that every 30K miles or so, I have to change the dammed sensor. The irony is that I have a 1999 Nissan Altima with almost 200K miles on it, and I've never had to change the Crankshaft Position Sensor!

The following users liked this post:
MountainGoat (12-29-2022)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM

A person that works here with me has a 2005 altima , replace his cps at about 90,000 mile, about 300 miles from home on the weekend. I feel for you. The trust you have in a machine can wavier with each break down. You may check the brand of the cps to see if there may be a higher quality alternative. I mostly drive my xfire on long trips 2 are 3 times a year. Carry spare parts and tools , but have never had to use them. Also have triple AAA. I hate to get stuck somewhere ,are have to walk.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

The Dealer is telling me that the O2 Sensors on the Catalytic Converter are bad. I had 4 of them changed last year. A $1600 repair job! What the Hell is going on with this car?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You paid $1600 to have 4 O2 sensors replaced??!! You can buy them and install them yourself for a whole hell of a lot less than that! There is one above and one below the first catalytic converter on each side....

Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 AM

I have to say this post was great it helped my to get my girls car up and running again her CPS had went out making it die at stop lights and sometimes not start when she would go to the store. Great information on this form. We were ready to trade the car in but i found this and told her lets keep it for awhile cause she loves her car...lol

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor