Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

i have a 2004 xfire limited with 71000mi but i seem to have 2 problems this last weekend i was at a buddys and i had a few cold ones in me and we showed each other are cars i took the top cover off that holds the air filters well i didnt quite get it all the way back on and forgot about it the next day drove around and noticed my car seemed to be trying to stall and the check engine light came on then i rememberd that i forgot to put the cover all the way back on so i put it back on rite and it fixed the stalling problem but the check engine lite remained on for a couple days then it went off but today one of my fellow wokers brought in the code reader even thowe the check engine lite is off he still got P0335 CODE which is the crank shft positioning sensor

i was wanting the code reader for the problem below but im not sure if the problem below is related at all to the problem above which seems to be ok now cuz my car dont stall or any thing like ive herd in other forums it just completly dies for like 5 min.

the other problem this it has happend 3 times and at a completly random time ill be driving down the road normal everything working normally no caution lites or nothing and my cars power just completly shuts down and when u try to start it rite off the bat it wont turn over at all but the fan will kick on as well as everything else will come back on as normal but after it sits their for like five-10min it starts rite back up and will drive like nothin ever happend but i cant tell when it will do it next and the last time it did it on a mountain pass with nowheres to pull off rite past a corner that really scared me and now id defanintly would like to know what it is and how to fix it please help.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

http://pingelblog.blogspot.com/2008/...on-sensor.html

here's step by step I just found to replace the crankshaft sensor

Last edited by manisusmc; 08-24-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Forum Regular

Down below that great article was a very interesting comment that should bring on further discussion:

and the next little annoying sensor that will go is the one that causes the “BAS/ESP” light on the dash to come on. It’s nothing too. You have to replace a very similar sensor on the steering column, inside the dash. Much more of a pain in the ***, but it saved me nearly $500 (US) by doing it myself.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Default Crankshaft Position Sensor

My 2004 Crossfire suddenly wouldn't start at the grocery store, but after applying gas it eventually did. However, while trying to get it to a safe location it died in the middle of traffic. I got it started again, parked it and took it to Autozone to get the error code. Turns out there is something wrong with the Crankshaft position sensor.

Does anyone know if this problem is covered by the 7 year/70,000 mile warranty? I want to know because if it is not, I would like to take it to a Mercedes shop to be fixed. I've owned the car for 6 years now and during that time, I realize that the Chrysler technicians try very hard, but seem to know very little about this car. I've even had numerous service advisors admit this to me.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

You'd sure THINK it would be covered. But you can order one from Autohaus in Arizona for $39 and most ANY local mechanic can replace it for you - or even the average "shade tree mechanic" can.

It's a super-easy fix. Details on how to do it are here, search "CPS" and you'll see what I mean.

Here it is, OOPS, it's now $54!

Before you order, wait for someone else to come along and comment, the OEM part is a Bosch I believe. They've now changed (at Autohaus) to this other brand.
I guess it's ok, and it's STILL cheaper than at a dealer... but wait for some other comments before you order.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NICOLEJAG
My 2004 Crossfire suddenly wouldn't start at the grocery store, but after applying gas it eventually did. However, while trying to get it to a safe location it died in the middle of traffic. I got it started again, parked it and took it to Autozone to get the error code. Turns out there is something wrong with the Crankshaft position sensor.

Does anyone know if this problem is covered by the 7 year/70,000 mile warranty? I want to know because if it is not, I would like to take it to a Mercedes shop to be fixed. I've owned the car for 6 years now and during that time, I realize that the Chrysler technicians try very hard, but seem to know very little about this car. I've even had numerous service advisors admit this to me.
replaced mine in 10 minutes once I could see it...cost is about $45 on the average...

Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Thank you gentlemen! I feel like this forum is going to save me a lot of money in the future. I'm tired of those guys at the dealership trying to run over me because I'm a woman, so I've decided to be more proactive on fixing my car. (-:

Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 AM
Default Re: Crank Position Sensor

Originally Posted by cubanbee
I was having the same problem but I wasn't getting a check engine light. What was happening was it also didnt want to go out of park after 5 mins it would release from part then it would not shift out of first gear. Chrysler just gave me the car back saying they couldn't figure it out. So i decided to figure it out my self after talking to a few people it had (jerry from let) narrowed it down to either the crank position sensor or the cam position sensor. so i checked the price of the crank sensor and found out at my auto parts it was only 56.00 so i picked it up and 2 hours latter (that dam six point bolt u can't see lol) its working perfectly no more problems no sounds perfect fit. So thanks to the people on this site for helping me figure it out.
May I ask if the BAS ESP light ever came on in your car? I had issues with my car being stuck in park, but the dealer was never able to figure out why.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
You'd sure THINK it would be covered. But you can order one from Autohaus in Arizona for $39 and most ANY local mechanic can replace it for you - or even the average "shade tree mechanic" can.

It's a super-easy fix. Details on how to do it are here, search "CPS" and you'll see what I mean.
Are you saying the part is not covered by the power train or that it would be to my advantage to fix it myself? I looked up the part and it said it was a power train part. I ordered it for $51 and the local mechanic shop said it would cost $45 to install. However, they said they cannot guarantee this will correct the problem with the car.

If the part is covered by the power train warranty, wouldn't it be better to let the dealer fix it?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Administrator

If the dealer will fix it under warranty, go ahead! And let us know about it if they DO fix it under warranty.

But if it isn't covered, I'd order one, print the replacement instructions here on the forum, and take the car to any "wrench head" you trust to replace it for you.

The CPS is a big source of headaches - and at $55 for the part it's not that expensive to try.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
If the dealer will fix it under warranty, go ahead! And let us know about it if they DO fix it under warranty.

But if it isn't covered, I'd order one, print the replacement instructions here on the forum, and take the car to any "wrench head" you trust to replace it for you.

The CPS is a big source of headaches - and at $55 for the part it's not that expensive to try.
You are absolutely right! I just called the dealership and the CPS is not covered under the power train. She said things related to the power train are internal and that sensors are external. Therefore, disqualify it from the warranty.

Good new is that I already ordered the part which should be here today. Paid $51 for it and my local body shop said they'd put it in for $45. Just hoping it fixes the problem.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Administrator

$45 for that? I guess that isn't TOO bad. I'd have a problem taking $20 for it. But it's better than a dealership.

Let us know how the car does afterwards.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by xfire2005
This should do it for you.

Service and Repair
REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner housing.
  3. Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor harness connector.
  4. Remove the retaining bolt and the crankshaft position sensor (1).
INSTALLATION

1. Install the crankshaft position sensor (1) to the engine. Tighten to 8 N.m (71 in. lbs.)
  2. Connect the crankshaft position sensor harness connector.
  3. Install the air cleaner housing.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.
can you reup pics. or can comeone please explain more how and where. thank you very much

Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DanielNTX
Well my car was randomly stalling on the streets and was pulling code P0335 which means "Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Error". I had problems starting the car after it stalled and I could restart it after a few minutes of cooling down. Apparently the Crankshaft Position Sensor is affected by heat when it fails. I did a lot of research on MBWorld.org and found many threads on the subject: Engine Quiting - MBWorld.org Forums

I pulled it from the service manual already. It just says remove connector but it doesn't say how. There's actually a small clip that attaches to the part. You have to push the rear end down and pull it off. Don't pull on the wire. Then after you have to take a star socket and remove the retaining bolt.

The Mercedes Part # for the Crankshaft Position Sensor is 003 153 27 28. Unfortunately, no local autoparts store in Austin carried it. The average price for an aftermarket part is $80-90. I went to the Mercedes Dealership to get it and the part has been updated to part 003 153 28 28 and it cost $153.90 for the original Mercedes part.

I would say overall that it's easier than replacing a spark plug, but it's in a tight space and you can't really see or maneuver too much. If you're good with mechanics and you have the right tools it should take about 20 minutes to replace, not the 1.25 hours of labor quoted to me.

I've included a bunch of pictures so if you guys ever run into the problem.

Picture #1: Bolt, Star Socket, New part on the left, Old part on the right
Picture #2: Socket, Top of Screw, New on left, Old on right
Picture #3: Rear of engine where sensor is in the center of picture
Picture #4: Picture of where the sensor goes and the bolt hole
Picture #5: Picture of cable
Picture #6: Picture of sensor installed and cable attached
Picture #7: OBD II - no errors
what size star socket? and i cant seem to get clip off. and i dont see what im useing the star socket to take off? what bolt?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned
Thumbs up Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor

Thanks Daniel! I was being helpless when because I cannot find any instruction on how to replace my crank sensor. I just purchased my crank position sensor online, and I am trying to save a bit by not shelving out money for a mechanic. Anyways, thanks for the very informative post.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 600 Likes on 480 Posts

I've attached a PDF file of the website referenced by manisusmc in his post. This should help anyone having to change the CPS.

Attached Files
Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fortunately we dont have all that crap in the way to get to our CPS.....

Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

E8...................

Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Hi

I have a o4 coupe with a 6 speed and was trying to replace the CPS. Used the info from this post to start the replacement. I have not been able to remove the plug with the wires on top of it. I have a metal shield that goes around and is higher then CPS that is bolted to two bolts on the bellhousing. I have not found any one metion this shield, it makes it very hard to acess the plug and the bolt holding it down. Is there some trick or does it have to be removed as well. This shield only gives enoung space around the CPS that maybe you can get one finger around it. tryed some long needle nose pliers to remove the plug, but coundn,t press down on the top if it to release. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 PM

Daniel,

Getting the screw out when I replaced mine was difficult enough. After I got it out I had to twist the sensor to get it out because the edge was blocked and keeping it from coming out. That's the best way I can describe it.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor