Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

fwd or rwd?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fwd or rwd?

Originally Posted by MI1XFIRE
Bluewater, Please stop drinking the colored koolaid. JK.
Do you live near the Bluewater bridge?
lol its not the koolaid. well the "green" koolaid maybe. yes i do live near the bluewater bridge. it's about a 10 minute cruise to get to from my place. i go across it quite often to go over to port huron or other places. i see you're from michigan. you ride motox do you?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bluewater87
lol its not the koolaid. well the "green" koolaid maybe. yes i do live near the bluewater bridge. it's about a 10 minute cruise to get to from my place. i go across it quite often to go over to port huron or other places. i see you're from michigan. you ride motox do you?
Use to ride motoX, don't have 1 right now but seriously looking at getting a yz450.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 PM

nice... i'm more of the honda rider myself. check my gallery, i've got a couple pics of my '04 crf250f, and a couple more of my 50cc racing a few years back. we modded those crf50s out to 88cc. did a whole bunch of other mods as well.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

nice... i'm more of the honda rider myself. check my gallery, i've got a couple pics of my '04 crf250f, and a couple more of my 50cc racing a few years back. we modded those crf50s out to 88cc. did a whole bunch of other mods as well.
Nice bike, I guess you can't go wrong with the Honda...

Old 04-20-2007, 11:14 PM

thanks man... are there any tracks near port huron or anywhere around an hours drive from the bridge worth riding at?

Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everyone, for an interesting post. Lots of humor.

Just remember, we're all Crossfire owners. So don't attack the posters, no matter how dumb you think the question is.

IMHO, I don't think the Crossfire would be a very effective drive in snow/ice even with stability control and ABS. Too much power, rear wheel drive, wide tires, light, and low clearance. I did test drive a Crossfire in Jan 2005 (before buying) and took it on some back roads in Grand Haven MI. When I hit the brakes hard, it stopped in a straight line. That impressed me. But there's no way I'd be driving it in Michigan winters. There are some storms that even my Audi struggles to stay on the road and it is AWD (I just looked underneath again and made sure it had drive shafts to both ends - can't trust just a quattro badge) and weighs almost 3,500 lbs.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Seriously...this is just too funny...

intenseblu...I thought you were a pretty straightforward guy..right up until you told everyone the x-fire was good in the snow!! You're a good prankster!

I got stuck 4 times leaving my sub in 3" of snow this past winter...and the t/c system made it WORSE!!! I was surprised as hell that the owners manual actually talked about using tire chains!! (I bet they work sweet at 145 mph)! Also the manual says to turn off the t/c system in the snow. (this made no sense to me at first...now it's clear why)!

Honestly folks, were trying to convince a canadian who drives a honda that our beloved x-fires are NOT FWD!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apkano
intenseblu...I thought you were a pretty straightforward guy..right up until you told everyone the x-fire was good in the snow!! You're a good prankster!
hehe yea taking that directly from my brothers experience this winter ... he was shocked how well it did ... his experience is it won't accelerate very fast in the snow but it stops and corners very well with real snow tires. which makes all the sense in the world, as the brakes, abs, traction control are great but the RWD will just not let you accel very fast even with 150 lbs of equipment in the trunk he carries for work.

i have yet to try it myself ... next winter looks like it will be my daily driver.

but i guess our definition of good is compromised as both of us drove FWD cars pushing over 300 hp with no traction control and very aggressive winter tires in winters prior ... sliding was a way of life, you just controlled what direction you slid in... hahaha.

added: although i did see a video of the XF on the summer tires some came with in the snow... very very funny as it would not move at all... tires are like shoes, don't wear a running shoe when the weather calls for snow boots.

Last edited by intenseblu; 05-24-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Hey, I just took a drive in my Crossfire today and it sure was a fwd drive...

Fun Wheeling Drive. ;-)

Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Forum Regular

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/ch...ons/index.html

says right here its fwd... our xf is from the states, does that make it any different?
and no, your crossfire isn't from the states. it's only sold here by the re-awakening company/partnership known as daimler-chrysler (owner of the car itself). open your driver's side door, look at the rear-facing edge. there will be a label stating something along the lines of "made/manufactured/assembled by Wilhelm Karmann in Germany--GmbH." your family car...i mean crossfire was probably shipped here from belgium by air freight as most others were.

Last edited by grphtmtlc11; 05-30-2007 at 06:41 AM.