Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Twin Turbo News!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
Don't be offended, but have you seen a crossfire in the air. There is not a place to mount a turbo, without risking serious damage to the $900 hunk of metal you mounted down there, or hacking a hole so you can mount it in your trunk. No offense again, but Cheap, and correct are two words that can't be used in this topic. I would recomend purchasinf the oem s/c and manifolds and going that route. That would be cheaper than what this project is going to be, and it would be more feasible. However, if you want the "show" of a turbo then go ahead, but your gonna need deep pockets, and several people with deep knowledge of CUSTOM turbo building. Just to let you know, I am fairly decent with turbo builds, myself and my brother-in-law just finished putting a holstet diesel turbo in a 420a 95 dodge avenger, trust me it's not a kit, and it wasn't cheap either.
Please do not take this the wrong way but there IS room for a turbo install under the crossfire. I do believe a corvettes ride height is much lower than a crossfire's. Also your exhaust system in your crossfire cost more than $900....why no concerns their?

I drive a car equipped with a sts kit.....my car sits about 3 inches to the ground. Not once have I had an issue with my intercooler piping or turbine getting damaged.

A sts kit is not cheap....but it is a cheaper option than others.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sub zero
Please do not take this the wrong way but there IS room for a turbo install under the crossfire. I do believe a corvettes ride height is much lower than a crossfire's. Also your exhaust system in your crossfire cost more than $900....why no concerns their?
None taken, but it is built to be shielded by the body.

I drive a car equipped with a sts kit.....my car sits about 3 inches to the ground. Not once have I had an issue with my intercooler piping or turbine getting damaged.
Is it a daily driver, and if so may I see pics?

A sts kit is not cheap....but it is a cheaper option than others.
Do you have a link so I can check out the sts kits?

Old 12-21-2007, 04:13 PM

You can notice how I was able to use the stock headers and exhaust piping up to my Y pipe. But you are right shawnkey....knowledge is definetly going to be a factor in making a kit succesful. Chosing th correct diameter of piping, correct size and type of intercooler and most importantly turbo...I would love to see what a crossfire can do with a GT35r equipped with a solid tune. Speaking of which has anyone figured out what EMS or piggyback unit will work with a crossfire?!?!?!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Don't be offended, but have you seen a crossfire in the air. There is not a place to mount a turbo, without risking serious damage to the $900 hunk of metal you mounted down there, or hacking a hole so you can mount it in your trunk. No offense again, but Cheap, and correct are two words that can't be used in this topic. I would recomend purchasinf the oem s/c and manifolds and going that route. That would be cheaper than what this project is going to be, and it would be more feasible. However, if you want the "show" of a turbo then go ahead, but your gonna need deep pockets, and several people with deep knowledge of CUSTOM turbo building. Just to let you know, I am fairly decent with turbo builds, myself and my brother-in-law just finished putting a holstet diesel turbo in a 420a 95 dodge avenger, trust me it's not a kit, and it wasn't cheap either.
You're right, I don't have that much experience with Crossfires. The only point I wanted to support is that remote mount turbo setups are a feasible option that's much easier, cheaper and successful then people give it credit for.

Personally, I wouldn't go this route either. Part of the reason I like the crossfire is because its such a finely crafted machine, and you don't get a car like this to dig into it over the weekend before hitting up the dragstrip.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Do you have a link so I can check out the sts kits?
ststurbo.com

My car is not a daily driver....But i have put about 15,xxx miles on it since the transplant. I also currently live in slc utah.....the roads and weather conditions arent like sunny california and the beautiful city of miami

video of car with sts single turbo ---> http://youtube.com/watch?v=LD5wt5N26w0

Old 12-21-2007, 04:26 PM

I am seriously pumped about picking up a crossfire now!!! Unfortunately it will be a auto coupe V6 non srt ...wonder how well the tranny can control torque if forced induction, nitrous, or a V8 was applied.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the thermal efficiency on the STS ain't bad but I'm willing to bet the pipe distance is really slowing down the turbine, and increasing the time it takes to spool up.

Hey, either way I'd love to see this on a crossfire, even if it isn't the greatest design. Somebody do it!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
the thermal efficiency on the STS ain't bad but I'm willing to bet the pipe distance is really slowing down the turbine, and increasing the time it takes to spool up.

Hey, either way I'd love to see this on a crossfire, even if it isn't the greatest design. Somebody do it!
I too was skeptical with the length of piping....HOWEVER one must keep in mind.....the piping is straight. On a front mounted turbo their are crazy amounts of bends creating lots of turbulance. In a sts piping system it is straight with very minimal bends. Also with the piping running under the car it allows the ambient air to continue to be cool unlike having a traditional front mount setup and all the pipes are hot. I experience very minimal lag with my turbo 350z.

I too wanna see what we can come up with no matter what the deign is. I just feel the EASIEST way to bolt on a kit would be a sts system....if it wasnt for the tuning issue i would be all for it.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too was skeptical with the length of piping....HOWEVER one must keep in mind.....the piping is straight. On a front mounted turbo their are crazy amounts of bends creating lots of turbulance. In a sts piping system it is straight with very minimal bends. Also with the piping running under the car it allows the ambient air to continue to be cool unlike having a traditional front mount setup and all the pipes are hot. I experience very minimal lag with my turbo 350z.

I too wanna see what we can come up with no matter what the deign is. I just feel the EASIEST way to bolt on a kit would be a sts system....if it wasnt for the tuning issue i would be all for it.
as for tuning, if you can locate the tuner for Lantana's V8 swap, they should be able to unlock an srt6 ecu and programn it for your sts turbo set-up. Another company who said they can do the tuning is http://www.speedinnovation.com/index.php and the only proven company who boosted the m112 NA motor on an SLK320 to 355hp is http://www.iagperformance.com/

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-21-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Forum Regular

Sorry been gone for a little while:

1-sub zero, the pic isnt showing up.
2-I think the gt35 would be the perfect turbo
3-I'm not knocking on the rear mount turbo, My friend just did one on a SRT-10 truck
4-the NAG1 tranny is pleanty strong enough, it goes behind all of our Hemis's even the SRT-8's. Mercedes puts it behind most of their high power v8's also.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:36 PM

I just got some really good news from my very close friend Freddy at sts. Like i mentioned before their was a 2 sts universal kits he sold to one of his dealers. The shop is located in Deleware and he shop name is called P.I.E or P.E.I sorry he was busy and i didnt get all the info but what i do know is that it WAS a crossfire coupe non srt!!!

The car made over 300rwhp....im not sure at what psi. he wll call me right back he was busy shopping
He also recieved pictures from the shop with the kit installed on the car so this is great news!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 PM

i will upload the picture to photobucket then post it here

Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Forum Regular

where in DE I have "family" there

Old 12-21-2007, 06:44 PM

STS350ZTurbo.jpg

Old 12-21-2007, 06:45 PM

where in DE I have "family" there
I have no idea....i am trying to google the shop right now

Old 12-21-2007, 06:56 PM

Just found out more news...they have done a aspen?!?!?!?!...hemi trucks......and ofcourse a crossfire!!!! For tuning they are using a FMU (slows return rate of fuel). The crossfire has enough timing backed out to where u dont have to tune it at 5 pounds. Their was infact clearance issues so instead or normal round piping they used OVAL piping.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Here you guys go.... http://www.performanceinjectionequip...mi_turbo_kits/

as soon as i get pictures i will be posting them up!!! not bad for a newb

p.s. soronos.....kiss my ***

Old 12-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Just found out more news...they have done a aspen?!?!?!?!...hemi trucks......and ofcourse a crossfire!!!! For tuning they are using a FMU (slows return rate of fuel). The crossfire has enough timing backed out to where u dont have to tune it at 5 pounds. Their was infact clearance issues so instead or normal round piping they used OVAL piping.
I was just gonna say $10 bucks says they're using an FMU, then I read this

With an FMU you don't have to worry at all about MAF translation or PCM tuning. Then its just a question of routing the piping.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Forum Regular

Nice work gentlemen. When I talk to my buddy that did the SRT-10, I will ask him if he used this kit, or fabbed his own.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo News!!!