Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Twin Turbo News!!!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

Let's talk packaging.

People say "remote turbo" but in my humble opinion that's a last ditch resort - probably impossible unless you're running a dry sump due to the turbo oil drain issue. Turbos need gravity to let oil flow back to the pan!! Some people have suggested an electric oil pump to scavenge the oil return line, but I wouldn't recommend it. The moment that electric pump fails, your turbo is going to be cooked.

So where in the engine bay can the turbo go? There's definitely a place for an FMIC in the bumper (this car's bumper is huge).

I was looking at the space next to the exhaust manifolds but there is not much room there. Maybe room for a T25. You'd need at least a 50 trim T3 to make 450 SAE hp without turbo inefficiency heating up your IAT.

The other alternative I thought of was to use a large single turbo (Holset HY35 or Garrett T72) and put it in front and to the side of the engine.

Does anyone else have any more ideas about where the turbo could go?

Last edited by sonoronos; 12-19-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

contact JJ at
IAG Performance
1203 Baltimore Blvd.
Westminster MD 21157
Phone: 410-840-3555
he did the slk320 on ebay, so he's a proven tuner

http://www.iagperformance.com/

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-19-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Let's talk packaging.

People say "remote turbo" but in my humble opinion that's a last ditch resort - probably impossible unless you're running a dry sump due to the turbo oil drain issue. Turbos need gravity to let oil flow back to the pan!! Some people have suggested an electric oil pump to scavenge the oil return line, but I wouldn't recommend it. The moment that electric pump fails, your turbo is going to be cooked.

So where in the engine bay can the turbo go? There's definitely a place for an FMIC in the bumper (this car's bumper is huge).

I was looking at the space next to the exhaust manifolds but there is not much room there. Maybe room for a T25. You'd need at least a 50 trim T3 to make 450 SAE hp without turbo inefficiency heating up your IAT.

The other alternative I thought of was to use a large single turbo (Holset HY35 or Garrett T72) and put it in front and to the side of the engine.

Does anyone else have any more ideas about where the turbo could go?
Sorry man your just wrong. STS turbo kit on a gto runs 10 second quarter miles on race tires. They are very effective and spool very quickly. Trust me, don't knock one until you have been in one. It is by far the best method to turbo this car.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 AM

going with a remote turbo is a silly idea, for a daily drive, it won't hold up to the abuse of the road, and the extra drag from running longer pipes on the turbo will be substantial, the turbo under the hood has been done on the slk320 so it can be done on the XF

Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
going with a remote turbo is a silly idea, for a daily drive, it won't hold up to the abuse of the road, and the extra drag from running longer pipes on the turbo will be substantial, the turbo under the hood has been done on the slk320 so it can be done on the XF
The extra drag from running longer on the pipes will be substantial? Jesus man, what are you talking about. Your hilarious, thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It's not silly, there are a ton of fbodies running around with these kits and have been so for a long time. your getting carried away, these things make huge power for less money than other kits and are actually doable for less than 20grand. I gurantee you won't find anyone willing to spend 20k on a turbo kit, hence the reason that is the only turbo 320 in the world. Your logic is lacking throughout just about every thread you post in. Your trying to push everyone to do this, no one is going to spend that kind of money when they can just buy srt6's, and if they want six speeds they will just buy something else. Unless one of the big companies (greddy, hks) makes a turbo kit, no one is going to do this. Derek is swapping an srt6 engine into his six speed car, that is a much more intelligent option. Trust me, once you have the money to do this, you will just buy another car that is faster from the factory and modify that instead. For ten grand my mazda would be running 11 second quarter miles, not saying its a better car, but the crossfire just isn't a good platform to modify (aside from the srt6), but doing an engine swap is a great idea.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM

lol, what are you a sales rep. for one of the remote turbo companies? It's a bad design

DOn't let me discourage you though, please by all means get them to make a system, maybe it's not that bad a set up.

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-20-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by x'ed
It's not silly, there are a ton of fbodies running around with these kits and have been so for a long time.
I'm not that familiar with xfires yet but I can vouche that rear mount setups definitely work. They are a very easy to setup system and are very popular with the fbodies, not only v8's but the 3.8l v6 guys run them too from the modified 2.25 stock piping with great results. From an engineering viewpoint they are not as efficient as front mount setups due to the fact you loose a lot of exhaust velocity/heat with the turbo position that far back, however they do work and the fact that you can realistically build one for under 2k outweighs most its other shortcomings.

What would you do for tuning on the xfire PCM though? I don't see there being any tuners available other than mail order tunes and that wouldn't work with something as custom as this. You could run an FMU.... but I don't know if that would work on these engines or not.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by tealcamaro55
What would you do for tuning on the xfire PCM though? I don't see there being any tuners available other than mail order tunes and that wouldn't work with something as custom as this. You could run an FMU.... but I don't know if that would work on these engines or not.
The only viable option I see for boosting the NA motor is to buy an SRT6 ecu and get it reprogramed and the vin unlocked. wire that into your car, there are a couple tuning maps available from Bosch for the AMG and srt6 powered cars.

otherwise you will have to wire in a stand alone ecu, there is one company in Westminister who has success tuning a Mercedes SLK320 r170 chassis car. I already posted thier number and website. good luck.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 PM

I'm not that familiar with xfires yet but I can vouche that rear mount setups definitely work. They are a very easy to setup system and are very popular with the fbodies, not only v8's but the 3.8l v6 guys run them too from the modified 2.25 stock piping with great results. From an engineering viewpoint they are not as efficient as front mount setups due to the fact you loose a lot of exhaust velocity/heat with the turbo position that far back, however they do work and the fact that you can realistically build one for under 2k outweighs most its other shortcomings.
How do they handle oil return flow from the turbo?

FMU would work, but it's definitely not for high boost.

Piggyback ECUs would work for this application also.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about a t3/t4 hybrid. Remember you are dealing with a small light car, the power to weight ratio is pretty good. Also remember that the cyl heads are a 3 valve design 2 intake 1 exhaust. You can put all the air in the chamber you want, but it has to be able to escape. Turbo's need the ability to let the exhaust escape as freely as possible, so a smaller turbo would probably by just right for us.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
What about a t3/t4 hybrid. Remember you are dealing with a small light car, the power to weight ratio is pretty good. Also remember that the cyl heads are a 3 valve design 2 intake 1 exhaust. You can put all the air in the chamber you want, but it has to be able to escape. Turbo's need the ability to let the exhaust escape as freely as possible, so a smaller turbo would probably by just right for us.
The compressor maps tells all. As long as the turbo stays out of surge and you can stay on its efficiency "island" you can use whatever one you want that makes the power you want.

I'm a big fan of Holset turbos with 45lb/min compressors

Old 12-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
How do they handle oil return flow from the turbo?

FMU would work, but it's definitely not for high boost.

Piggyback ECUs would work for this application also.
Oil return feed is handled via an electric oil pump. Its a heavy duty pump used on big diesel rigs special order for ~$150 if I remember right, they are pretty long lasting and it has had pretty good results.

I've seen FMU's successfully used on boost applications up to 15psi without any problems. The trick is picking the right ratio FMU. FMU's are safe and easy to set up but don't get you max hp as a PCM fuel trim map would - most Vortech FMU's, for example, are set up to run a bit on the rich side. However If I ever ventured this way I'd probably get an adjustable FMU and a wideband which I think would do the trick....

3.8v6 camaro guys with stock 2.25 piping have had success with running t3/t4 hybrids (with redone exhaust piping of course). And that's a pushrod 1intake/1exhaust valve engine. I'm not familiar with the cam profile of the 3.2 benz engine engine but turbo surge is usually not a problem if you know what you're doing when picking out the right turbo for the job.

Last edited by tealcamaro55; 12-20-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 AM

let me start off by saying WOW!!!! lol I came onto this board because i am doing a little research on a crossfire i wish to purchase for my wife.

I saw this thread and let me just say that the member who started this thread has been pulling and bullshiting ALOT of people on ths board lol. I actually meet the guy a year and a half ago. I am not here to rant or make fun. I didnt read every single post but i scanned though the pages and I noticed that people where interested in turbo charging their cars.

I found it interesting that STS was brought up because I would definetly agree that they are a great option to turbo charging a crossfire. The non believers are the ones who havent driven a remote mount turbo vehicle. I have a very close friend that works in sales and he has told me that he has sold 2 universal kits to crossfire owners...i wonder how that is going?

Looks like i might need to buy me a crossfire and pave the way for the guys and gals who are afriad to step into unmarked territry because thats exactly what it seems to be right now.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by sub zero
let me start off by saying WOW!!!! lol I came onto this board because i am doing a little research on a crossfire i wish to purchase for my wife.

I saw this thread and let me just say that the member who started this thread has been pulling and bullshiting ALOT of people on ths board lol. I actually meet the guy a year and a half ago. I am not here to rant or make fun. I didnt read every single post but i scanned though the pages and I noticed that people where interested in turbo charging their cars.

I found it interesting that STS was brought up because I would definetly agree that they are a great option to turbo charging a crossfire. The non believers are the ones who havent driven a remote mount turbo vehicle. I have a very close friend that works in sales and he has told me that he has sold 2 universal kits to crossfire owners...i wonder how that is going?

Looks like i might need to buy me a crossfire and pave the way for the guys and gals who are afriad to step into unmarked territry because thats exactly what it seems to be right now.

I'm just waiting to see if LantanaTX can unlock his v8 mercedes ecu, for the v8 swap, then if that works I will just drop in the srt6 ecu and slowly start to fab up the other parts.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 AM

I saw this thread and let me just say that the member who started this thread has been pulling and bullshiting ALOT of people on ths board lol
I figured that out as soon as I read the guy's post and I didn't even have to meet him to figure that out.

The non believers are the ones who havent driven a remote mount turbo vehicle.
"non believers" ? I didn't realize that turbocharging was a religion.

Sorry. I can't be motivated by someone who can't spell "afraid" and "territory", and I have even more trouble listening to someone who "might need to buy me a crossfire".

Old 12-21-2007, 08:33 AM

What does spelling have to do with fabricating a turbo kit!?!?!?

Dont be sorry....and dont be a follower

I have my own spell check and grammer robot keep up the good work soronos lol

Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 AM

watch your eybrows, this thread is going to spontaneously combust

Old 12-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Forum Regular

This post is getting out of control, lets re-group and focus.

The T3/T4 should be fine, and surging shouldn't be a problem. The only hard part of this is going to be exhaust manifolds, and getting them made to fit a single or twin turbos. I don't se what the problem is with the oil feed, and drain is.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
This post is getting out of control, lets re-group and focus.

The T3/T4 should be fine, and surging shouldn't be a problem. The only hard part of this is going to be exhaust manifolds, and getting them made to fit a single or twin turbos. I don't se what the problem is with the oil feed, and drain is.
That's exactly why a rear mount setup would be so much easier to fabricate and cheaper to install. Leave stock exhaust manifolds, reroute exhaust piping into t3/t4 hybrid, put together cold side piping from turbo to intake and setup an oil return line with an inline oil pump STS turbo style. Add FMU, check with wideband and get rid of any bugs.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Forum Regular

Don't be offended, but have you seen a crossfire in the air. There is not a place to mount a turbo, without risking serious damage to the $900 hunk of metal you mounted down there, or hacking a hole so you can mount it in your trunk. No offense again, but Cheap, and correct are two words that can't be used in this topic. I would recomend purchasinf the oem s/c and manifolds and going that route. That would be cheaper than what this project is going to be, and it would be more feasible. However, if you want the "show" of a turbo then go ahead, but your gonna need deep pockets, and several people with deep knowledge of CUSTOM turbo building. Just to let you know, I am fairly decent with turbo builds, myself and my brother-in-law just finished putting a holstet diesel turbo in a 420a 95 dodge avenger, trust me it's not a kit, and it wasn't cheap either.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo News!!!