Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Twin Turbo News!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

I strive to be the first with a single turbo on the limited... and hey... I already have the turbo!!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuning

As a stopgap, please consider using the MAF Translator to perform tuning on the M112.

It is pretty cheap and converts the stock MAF sensor into a MAP sensor with full injector control based on boost.

http://www.maftpro.com/tproinfo.shtml

To control spark timing with boost retard, use the MSD Multi-Channel Boost Retard controller or equivalent.

http://www.msdignition.com/sci_3.htm

Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very cool! Though I would like to see someone with an SRT dump thier supercharger for a turbo set up.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Unhappy Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

All talk and no action on these turbo kits... When is somone going to make one to sell.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by MiniCooperS
All talk and no action on these turbo kits... When is somone going to make one to sell.
Making a kit is difficult to justify when the market is small.

If you're local to Minnesota, willing to shell out the money for parts, a small percentage of the labor, and be without the car for 6 months, let me know.

The real problem is that everyone wants to "see it happen", but very few if any of those people would ever actually buy the kit.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by MiniCooperS
when some computer genius figures out a way to work with or by-pass the motronic ecu, it has nothing to do with the size of the market, the computer electronics on this car is very problematic. Maybe you can talk Kleenman, Renntech or Startech into reprograming your stock ecu for the low boost kit, minus the whole SC assemble, just a low boost reflash.

another way would be to purchase a SRT6 ecu, and have it unlocked so that it will operate with your cars' VIN. LantanTX is working with a guy on his v8 swap, so we shall see if they can unlock it, then we can start looking at buildiing a boost kit.

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-12-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
when some computer genius figures out a way to work with or by-pass the motronic ecu, it has nothing to do with the size of the market, the computer electronics on this car is very problematic. Maybe you can talk Kleenman, Renntech or Startech into reprograming your stock ecu for the low boost kit, minus the whole SC assemble, just a low boost reflash.

another way would be to purchase a SRT6 ecu, and have it unlocked so that it will operate with your cars' VIN. LantanTX is working with a guy on his v8 swap, so we shall see if they can unlock it, then we can start looking at buildiing a boost kit.
Max,

Why would a separate injector controller + boost retard box not work in this application? Any ECU can be bypassed with this method.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Max,

Why would a separate injector controller + boost retard box not work in this application? Any ECU can be bypassed with this method.
That is an unknown road, which your welcome to travel but I think the computer will trip out. Which is probably why HDDP is going with a full stand alone system in his gutted race car, probably best to start from scratch. AS I know HDDP has done many hours of research on this, yet he doesn't really post his findings.

I would much rather waite for LatanaTX to unlock his mercedes ecu, then that will prove I can just drop in the srt6 ecu, and be done with it. no need for piggback computers on top of multiple other computers, soon the data transfer rate will probably get bogged down.

Also how do you plan on operating the throttle body, with your by-passed ecus system? yeah you can feed the beast fuel and boost and play with the timing, but what makes you think the Motronic ecu will open it's mouth for you?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
Forum Regular

Also how do you plan on operating the throttle body, with your by-passed ecus system? yeah you can feed the beast fuel and boost and play with the timing, but what makes you think the Motronic ecu will open it's mouth for you?
its not a piggy back thats how ... a auxillary injector controller functions fully apart from the main computer ... thats the secret ... the stock computer operates its stock function unknowing that the auxillary unit is peeping at the TPS values and firing another injector.

been there done that ... built a 8 injector system for a 2.0 DOHC i built a system based around a T3 super 60 ... all custom hand work in my spare time from sourcing the exhaust manifold from a mexican production vehicle (no emissions laws meant they had beastly engines when we were getting crap in the late 90s) to build the auxillary controller, 8 injector manifold, blah blah blah ....

and just like back then all you have to do if the stock ECU wiggs out when it sees boost is clamp the signal the MAF/MAP sees ... so you wire up a probe to the signal wires to check voltage and rip on the car when it is NA ... record the max voltages it sees then use a potentiometer (POT/variable resistor) to "clamp" the signal.

it works like a charm and the car drives like stock out of boost.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by intenseblu
its not a piggy back thats how ... a auxillary injector controller functions fully apart from the main computer ... thats the secret ... the stock computer operates its stock function unknowing that the auxillary unit is peeping at the TPS values and firing another injector.

been there done that ... built a 8 injector system for a 2.0 DOHC i built a system based around a T3 super 60 ... all custom hand work in my spare time from sourcing the exhaust manifold from a mexican production vehicle (no emissions laws meant they had beastly engines when we were getting crap in the late 90s) to build the auxillary controller, 8 injector manifold, blah blah blah ....

and just like back then all you have to do if the stock ECU wiggs out when it sees boost is clamp the signal the MAF/MAP sees ... so you wire up a probe to the signal wires to check voltage and rip on the car when it is NA ... record the max voltages it sees then use a potentiometer (POT/variable resistor) to "clamp" the signal.

it works like a charm and the car drives like stock out of boost.
I understand your ideas, and the theroy, but I have sneaking suspicion the motronic ecu is smarter than we think. otherwise why haven't other latemodel Benz tuners tried this. Maybe it's not that difficult to modify the fuel/timing with a 7th injector, I know Woody posted on his site the Mega Squirt running his car at idle, but that's all Ive seen so far.

If the ecu is seeing more fuel in the exhaust stream for a givien mapp cell, what is it going to do when this occurs? Will the computer open the throttle more to compensate, and thus causing you to accelerate more? or is the TBWire a separate function all together.?

When will you put together a system to prove your theory? we would all love to see a running system that is safe and reliable.

I do like the idea of being able to use the srt6 ecu myself, it seems like a better option and there are already mapps available for the srt6.
either way it's going to happen soon or later its just a matter of time.

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-13-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM

Maybe it's not that difficult to modify the fuel/timing with a 7th injector
No need for a seventh injector with this kind of system.

If the ecu is seeing more fuel in the exhaust stream for a givien mapp cell, what is it going to do when this occurs? Will the computer open the throttle more to compensate, and thus causing you to accelerate more? or is the TBWire a separate function all together.?
Bosch Motronic should behave just like any other system - it's open loop unless it's in lean-cruise. The computer never opens the throttle more than the TPS tells it to. The Sprint Booster just changes the ratio of pedal movement to throttle opening.

When will you put together a system to prove your theory? we would all love to see a running system that is safe and reliable.
600cc injectors, twin Holset HY35W turbos with integral wastegates and two small intercoolers running at 11 psi on stock internals. I figure 400 shaft horsepower. The most difficult part of doing all this on the Crossfire is just finding places to fit the components.

The MAF Translator is the tool to use in this application. I'm sure in a few years time there will be even better things out.

http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/MA...o_Installation

Last edited by sonoronos; 12-16-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:06 PM

nice, Lookin' forward to it!

Old 12-16-2007, 09:41 PM

So... is it done yet? lol

Old 12-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by afws04
Well that's my fault, I apologize - it sounded like it was directed towards me and since I've had insults directed at me on this site because of my age in the past, I assumed. Trust me, I can read - but my mistake was in assuming, which I'll gladly admit. I haven't been on this site in quite some time until now and last time I was on here I was the youngest Crossfire owner on here - so I didn't realize jp2005 was my age as well.

Apologies! But regardless, no need to be rude.
i think i now hold that title of youngest. 16. 17 tomorrow. worked all summer +some school year to be able to afford a Borla exhaust

this turbo sounds good if you can get the ECU tuned properly and know exactly what kind of stress the engine can take. If after a couple thousand miles you dont need to rebuild your engine or anything like that then you can probably put me down. Im saving my money for a decent turbo kit for the crossfire as soon as it becomes available.

oh and please dont flame at me and tell me i dont know what i'm talking about with cars or that i'm spoiled or anything cause i drive a crossfire. Trust me there are kids with cars 2-3x as much as we paid for mine. Also dont tell me i dont know anything about cars. Im 16-cars (and girls) are all I think about

Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by teXfire71
i think i now hold that title of youngest. 16. 17 tomorrow. worked all summer +some school year to be able to afford a Borla exhaust

this turbo sounds good if you can get the ECU tuned properly and know exactly what kind of stress the engine can take. If after a couple thousand miles you dont need to rebuild your engine or anything like that then you can probably put me down. Im saving my money for a decent turbo kit for the crossfire as soon as it becomes available.

oh and please dont flame at me and tell me i dont know what i'm talking about with cars or that i'm spoiled or anything cause i drive a crossfire. Trust me there are kids with cars 2-3x as much as we paid for mine. Also dont tell me i dont know anything about cars. Im 16-cars (and girls) are all I think about
Hey don't feel insecure, a member here bought his daughter an srt6 and she is your age and had two car accidents. I still think everyone should learn on a beater for two years. My parents definately could have bought me a nice car when I was your age, but instead my dad stock me in a 1979 rx7 with 300,000 miles on it. It was the best thing he ever did, it was rear wheel drive and stick shift sitting on tires 135mm's wide. Driving that thing in the rain was like ice-skating, it really taught me how to drive and I learned how to work on an easy car as it was carbeurated. I learned every possible angle about driving from having that thing. I ended up loving it, even though the hatch was rusted through and the exhaust would leak inside the car and burn your eyes to high hell.

Then when I graduated they bought me a neon, which felt like a rocket compared to the rx7.

But congrats, you are lucky to have a crossfire as a first car in many ways. I wouldn't worry about telling people that your friends have cars that cost 50,000 dollars, just be secure with what you have and don't feel like you have to justify it. If it makes you happy you should be glad, plus, at least your eyes won't have permanent damage from your car!!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by x'ed
Hey don't feel insecure, a member here bought his daughter an srt6 and she is your age and had two car accidents. I still think everyone should learn on a beater for two years. My parents definately could have bought me a nice car when I was your age, but instead my dad stock me in a 1979 rx7 with 300,000 miles on it. It was the best thing he ever did, it was rear wheel drive and stick shift sitting on tires 135mm's wide. Driving that thing in the rain was like ice-skating, it really taught me how to drive and I learned how to work on an easy car as it was carbeurated. I learned every possible angle about driving from having that thing. I ended up loving it, even though the hatch was rusted through and the exhaust would leak inside the car and burn your eyes to high hell.

Then when I graduated they bought me a neon, which felt like a rocket compared to the rx7.

But congrats, you are lucky to have a crossfire as a first car in many ways. I wouldn't worry about telling people that your friends have cars that cost 50,000 dollars, just be secure with what you have and don't feel like you have to justify it. If it makes you happy you should be glad, plus, at least your eyes won't have permanent damage from your car!!
i had a colt lmfao and after 3 trannys i sold it for an 87 dakota dropped a 318 in it and loved mopar ever since lol. now i have 1 of each of the big 3 in my driveway!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teXfire71
this turbo sounds good....
your SRT-6 has a supercharger or if its a regular crossfire it neither has a turbo or supercharger ...

is there a custom turbo setup under your hood ?

i wouldn't hold my breath for a custom kit for this car ... the demand is just not there. most crossfire owners are not mod crazy enough and the rest are too young to afford what it costs from the traditional MB tuners ... people like yourself, young, enthusiastic, but ultimately lacking the funds as they are just starting up.

better off spending 20 bux on a "maximum boost, by corky bell" and spend some time researching remote mount turbo systems ... you can build your own kit with off the shelf parts for under 2k. read my past posts to get an idea of fuel system... its not as complex as some would have you believe ... they just over complicate it for the sake of not getting their hands dirty.

it should take you about a full year of hard work to research the system and design you need to make it work. been there done that ... very memorable moment in my youth.

Last edited by intenseblu; 12-18-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by intenseblu
your SRT-6 has a supercharger or if its a regular crossfire it neither has a turbo or supercharger ...

is there a custom turbo setup under your hood ?

i wouldn't hold my breath for a custom kit for this car ... the demand is just not there. most crossfire owners are not mod crazy enough and the rest are too young to afford what it costs from the traditional MB tuners ... people like yourself, young, enthusiastic, but ultimately lacking the funds as they are just starting up.

better off spending 20 bux on a "maximum boost, by corky bell" and spend some time researching remote mount turbo systems ... you can build your own kit with off the shelf parts for under 2k. read my past posts to get an idea of fuel system... its not as complex as some would have you believe ... they just over complicate it for the sake of not getting their hands dirty.

it should take you about a full year of hard work to research the system and design you need to make it work. been there done that ... very memorable moment in my youth.

Your such an old man now, 25 years old, wow!!! lol.

I agree, rear mount turbo setup (see ststurbo.com) is the way to go on this car. The only cost involved is the custom pipe work. everytihng else is pretty cheap and straight forward.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:37 PM

im not feeling insecure just kinda defensive because i've been flamed at more than once by people who are jealous of my car is all. And ive also been called a "little kid who doesnt know anything about cars" haha little did they suspect im working on restoring a '54 jaguar xk120 with my dad and read ALOT about cars (Car and Driver Road and Track Autoweek etc.) and watch SPEED TV all the time

Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Forum Regular

knowledge is nothing without experience... that said someone just do it and stop talking about it. <- thats a period. oh and everyone who wants to cut these cars gets flamed trust me

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo News!!!