Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Twin Turbo News!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

this looks promising, but wouldn't it be easier to use a small centrafugal supercharger under the hood?

Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sub zero
not yet but i will be getting more pics and vids to come
Anything to post up?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this thread really died....any updates?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabs
this thread really died....any updates?
Yeah it did. What is the verdict for running a small turbo and only boosting to 5-6 PSI? Does the N/A car have MAP or MAF and if has the right one, can you even push a littel boost to with bigger injectors or is that even out of the question.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rcompart
Yeah it did. What is the verdict for running a small turbo and only boosting to 5-6 PSI? Does the N/A car have MAP or MAF and if has the right one, can you even push a littel boost to with bigger injectors or is that even out of the question.
I guess the major problem is tuning the ECU.. no one has done it yet.. (and if they have they haven't posted)

Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM

boy. the first part of this thread is a real crap fight. it is bloody hilarious!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 PM

the cars are maf based..
im not sure how "blow through" friendly they are

on my setup i'll just be running a standalone with a MAP sensor, makes tuning easier.. not to mention MAF's are restrictive

as far as boosting the car, its not a problem... the main problem as stated is ecu tuning..
unfortunately our cars have returnless fuel systems.. they modulate fuel pressure voltage to control fuel pressure

you could get by with an SAFC hack... buts its just that, a hack.. it confuses the ecu by controlling the maf signal sent to ecu... adjust this too much in the wrong direction and it actually forces the ecu into the wrong portion of the map for a given rpm vs. airflow and can ultimately lead to internal engine damage

the real way is to modify the fuel system with a return and get an adjustable mallory or aeromotive (preferred by mean) 1:1 FPR.... notice i didnt say and FMU... those things have rediculous ratios and we've actually ahd cars damage injectors running pressures that they produce

you could use a piggyback (like a Haltech F10X, or a greddy emanage) which just take the stock values and chagne them to whatever you desire while leaving all of the stock ecu functions in place (a/c clutch, fan switch, etc)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Infinite
the cars are maf based..
im not sure how "blow through" friendly they are

on my setup i'll just be running a standalone with a MAP sensor, makes tuning easier.. not to mention MAF's are restrictive

as far as boosting the car, its not a problem... the main problem as stated is ecu tuning..
unfortunately our cars have returnless fuel systems.. they modulate fuel pressure voltage to control fuel pressure

you could get by with an SAFC hack... buts its just that, a hack.. it confuses the ecu by controlling the maf signal sent to ecu... adjust this too much in the wrong direction and it actually forces the ecu into the wrong portion of the map for a given rpm vs. airflow and can ultimately lead to internal engine damage

the real way is to modify the fuel system with a return and get an adjustable mallory or aeromotive (preferred by mean) 1:1 FPR.... notice i didnt say and FMU... those things have rediculous ratios and we've actually ahd cars damage injectors running pressures that they produce

you could use a piggyback (like a Haltech F10X, or a greddy emanage) which just take the stock values and chagne them to whatever you desire while leaving all of the stock ecu functions in place (a/c clutch, fan switch, etc)
All I can say is do it and you will be the first on this forum.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:31 PM

well. i thrive myself on doing off the wall stuff
i build racebikes and cars, and im always trying to find some way to stretch my imagination into reality.
plus i have enough contacts and skills that its doable

i have a new job (read: money to fund my habit) and i just picked up larger turbos (60 trim t3's... small enough to be fun.. big enough to make 400whp)

school just started back up for me.. so i'll be busy but hopefully i can make time to work on my project

Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Forum Regular

well. i thrive myself on doing off the wall stuff
school just started back up for me.
Good thing too.

Oh, and I admire your enthusiasm.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:21 AM

well i try.. now if i could just find more hours and dollars in a day... hmm?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 PM

if you still have the hook up on that turbo kit let me know

Old 03-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Let me know if you end up doing this. I have an AEM FIC8 sitting on the shelf looking for a good home that I'd sell for $450. It was installed in a car for a day and then the guy I instaleld it for found a stand alone so he ended up going that route. The FIC would let you do MAF simulation so you can get rid of the MAF completely, has an onboard MAP sensor, can control the fuel and spark tables and it's really easy to use and make small on the fly changes. I even have a little cheat sheet I made up when I did my little project to help make wiring it into the car a breeze.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:01 PM

i'll definitely keep you in mind, right now im focusing on other areas of the car but im still mocking up the kit. i just bought two s class v8 exhaust manifolds so i can flip them, remove 1 runner and have the length i need to get the manifolds to clear the motor. slow progress but its progress

Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 AM

I'm definitely interested! I'd like to know the absolute final cost for doing everything though not just the cost of the turbo. Also it almost seems cheaper to put a srt6 engine in our cars then rebuild one to handle a turbo.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 PM

you guys arent understanding that 10:1 is a perfectly fine compression ratio for forced induction.
The m112 is pretty much bulletproof from the factory, the weak links being the upper ringlands, headbolts and stock headgaskets.
With a proper tune and maintenance, and fuel system, 400hp shouldnt be hard to get out of an na motor.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM

you guys arent understanding that 10:1 is a perfectly fine compression ratio for forced induction.
The m112 is pretty much bulletproof from the factory, the weak links being the upper ringlands, headbolts and stock headgaskets.
With a proper tune and maintenance, and fuel system, 400hp shouldnt be hard to get out of an na motor.
Do you have any specs on the headbolts and gaskets? There may be some nice studs that would be compatable with our blocks, and I can see how feasible an MLS gasket can be when I go to work tommorow.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 AM

I might go buy a few from the dealer and see if arp can come up with something.
Im not sure what material the headgasket is, but thats pretty much the Achilles heel of most stock motors

Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Cometic can make custom gaskets, they need the inner and outer bore diameter, and bore spacing..

If they have something similar, they can make MLS gaskets for $100-200 a side. If not they need a sample, they said they can work with an autocad file or cylinder head/ block (dont know why theyd need that). A totally custom gasket is kind of expensive. They do have gaskets other mercedes engines with a 90mm bore so we may be in business.

Last edited by downwardspiral; 03-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM

i already knew about that. they really need unused new gaskets, so they can get all of the water passages right and to get the base thickness of the gasket.
i dont really wanna know how much gaskets from mb are if a filter is 35 dollars lol

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo News!!!