Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Twin Turbo News!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Twin Turbo News!!!

Originally Posted by intenseblu
%20-25 long term fuel trim and %20-25 short term fuel trim ... it can only apply these adjustments to bring the idle and part throttle conditions to a 14.7 stoich burn. the final numbers are still applied to wide open throttle conditions but do not adjust based on wide open throttle air fuel ratio as the narrowband sensor is only accurate at 14.7...

and yes it would be possible to reprogram the ECU but at too high a cost and each build would have to be tuned as variances in what turbo was used or intercooler would affect tune required .... so unless a company makes a kit and has ECU's mass reprogrammed to be distributed with the kits then the cost would be very high. hell its going to be high no matter what you do for these cars ... so yes its all possible, how fat is your wallet ? how bad do you want it ?

LISTEN TO HIM GUYS... No Truer statement can be made about this issue ! Also, because the programming code is tightly held by MB and they only provide "basic maintenance tuning maps" to their aftermarket technicians. Also, because the OEM ECU software updates / changes often require two way communication with "big brothers's computers" it is very difficult to manilpulate the codes... I'm not saying it can't be done, because I know a programmer (Bosch ECU Tech) here in LA that can do it, but he charges $400 per hour and estimates that such a project would require multiple hours and multiple dyno runs with AFR logging... (appx. $2,500 worth of work) and he will not guarantee satisfactory results...

That is why I have scrapped my OEM ECU on the race car for the SRT6 engine swap and went with a MOTEC M600 system... It might be a little pricey ($4,500) without tuning, but it has the capability of handling any future modification I might put into the engine (eg. swapping the SC for TC, etc.)

Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDP
LISTEN TO HIM GUYS... No Truer statement can be made about this issue ! Also, because the programming code is tightly held by MB and they only provide "basic maintenance tuning maps" to their aftermarket technicians. Also, because the OEM ECU software updates / changes often require two way communication with "big brothers's computers" it is very difficult to manilpulate the codes... I'm not saying it can't be done, because I know a programmer (Bosch ECU Tech) here in LA that can do it, but he charges $400 per hour and estimates that such a project would require multiple hours and multiple dyno runs with AFR logging... (appx. $2,500 worth of work) and he will not guarantee satisfactory results...

That is why I have scrapped my OEM ECU on the race car for the SRT6 engine swap and went with a MOTEC M600 system... It might be a little pricey ($4,500) without tuning, but it has the capability of handling any future modification I might put into the engine (eg. swapping the SC for TC, etc.)

I agree with both
This is the same problem that the srt-8 guys have. It's very hard to break the codes in these PCM's. Chrysler, and Diamler work VERY hard to keep their programing a secret.
And the stock PCM will compensate 33% rich or lean from initial programing.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't worry guys, it will be figured out sooner or later, just be patient.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
don't worry guys, it will be figured out sooner or later, just be patient.
LOL... OK MAX... Why don't you read and comprehend the posts that you respond to ? It already is figured out... But the costs are extreme compared to other OEM systems...

HELLO KNOCK KNOCK, ANYONE HOME IN THERE ?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM

LOL... OK MAX... Why don't you read and comprehend the posts that you respond to ? It already is figured out... But the costs are extreme compared to other OEM systems...

HELLO KNOCK KNOCK, ANYONE HOME IN THERE ?
Look man, I know a boosted NA Crossfire is possible and right now it cost about $6-$8k to do.

Right now everything is hinging on the V8 swap, If LantanaTX can prove successful in unlocking and re-code the V8 ecu to his crossfire, we NA guys can easily buy an SRT6 ecu and do the same. this will bring the cost down to about $3500 for a home made system!

so like I said we just have to sit tight!

Last edited by Maxwell; 12-24-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 PM

There are more to Lantana's engineering problems than just the ECU... I hope he has the time and $ to rectify them... I'm rooting him on !!! It's a VERY unique project and would be a wonderful challenge to tackle....

Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are more to Lantana's engineering problems than just the ECU... I hope he has the time and $ to rectify them... I'm rooting him on !!! It's a VERY unique project and would be a wonderful challenge to tackle....
Come on derek, Maxwell knows way more about this car than you do. Im sure he has invested three years and countless dollars and just trying to understand how to make his crossfire faster like you have, found a bosch engineer to discuss the issues with and finish second in his class at nasa. I mean, if he hadn't, then why would he be spewing so much crap all the time, right?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by x'ed
Come on derek, Maxwell knows way more about this car than you do. Im sure he has invested three years and countless dollars and just trying to understand how to make his crossfire faster like you have, found a bosch engineer to discuss the issues with and finish second in his class at nasa. I mean, if he hadn't, then why would he be spewing so much crap all the time, right?
sounds like dribble to me. Go back to your MAzda 3 forum.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry its been so long guys....been crazy busy lately. I will try to be on as much as I can to update everyone that is interested in turbocharging their cars...heres a sneak peak.....if you need any more info please feel free to write me at rico_valverde@hotmail.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SHOP PHOTOS 111.JPG (56.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by sub zero
Sorry its been so long guys....been crazy busy lately. I will try to be on as much as I can to update everyone that is interested in turbocharging their cars...heres a sneak peak.....if you need any more info please feel free to write me at rico_valverde@hotmail.com

You put the turbo on the wrong end of the car!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Life is random...so am I.

Even WITH the MB computer, breakout box, and Star software........it's EXTREMELY hard to change anything in the ECU.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Forum Regular

Hey Man,

Have you got around to getting those pics on Photobucket yet?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Forum Regular

Ahhhh you have a convertible on the rack I see.
Even WITH the MB computer, breakout box, and Star software........it's EXTREMELY hard to change anything in the ECU.
You are correct, but, the factory FUEL system can handle aprrox 8lbs of boost. Put bigger injectors in there, then even more. Do you want to run 25lbs of boost, then run a 12 injector set up. The fact is that most people won't boost their x-fire over 10 psi(turbo), so the only thing you really need to worry about is the internals, and how much they will hold. If you are willing to start digging into the engine, then chances are you can afford the fuel upgrades needed.
BTW, One of my SRT8 friends who deals dirrectly with deitweiller (sp?) has informed me that they have some DC engineers moonlighting over there, and they may have, or are close, to cracking the code on the SRT8 controllers, and theirs is just like ours.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by msheredy
Hey Man,

Have you got around to getting those pics on Photobucket yet?
not yet but i will be getting more pics and vids to come

Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
Ahhhh you have a convertible on the rack I see.
good eye

Old 01-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Forum Regular

I thought about ordering a buch of them and selling them as a mod to us coupe guys, and gals.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Nice rear turbo setup!
That is the exact layout that I was thinking about for my car to do a twin charged applicatiion.. What size turbo are you running? I was thinking a GT40 would work good for a rear setup on my car.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM

WOW im really excited to see this in action!!

props!

keep us informed!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM

What do you know max, rear turbo setup like I said.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by x'ed
What do you know max, rear turbo setup like I said.
I was wondering when someone would try a rear turbo... It always seemed like the obvious choice to me.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo News!!!