Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!

psuperti called me in his 'hour of need' ... hopefully he's gotten that stubborn pedal assembly out.

He was experiencing the same thing I went through after I got the washer out. The 'X' shaped peg didn't want to come out of the bracket.

Let us know if you were successful psuperti !

Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by danimal
You have to get that washer off of the bolt or it is a bear to get off. With the washer off, it lifts right up with no problem.
Yeah, the washer is off but I'm rotating and pulling and it still fighting back.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Keep twisting back and forth as you pull down... it will eventually let go of the bracket. Just be patient.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:07 PM
skr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed mine, and I have a few comments on my 2006 MB C230 ss install:

1. The pedal came off fairly easily, had to pull the bottom of the assembly up and out first (kind a like you are rotating it out).

2. Once the pedal was out I had an extremely hard time getting the connector off my pedal assembly. I ended up breaking the tab that holds it down on one side. This part alone took me about 15 minutes and a few grey hairs to complete.

3. Finally, putting the assembly back in place was a major pain as well. It very hard to get it in the right position, so that it would hook-up at the top, since that area is concealed.

Once everything was put back together, I took it out and can notice a difference in the way the car was behaving. It is definitely peppier. I had always noticed a lag when I tried to accelerate hard from a stand still, after I put the SB in the lag is still there, but not as bad as before. I was hoping to get rid of the lag altogether, however, the overall behavior of the car is improved. It is not so sluggish anymore, and it responds as it should have originally from the factory. I consider this not so much a high performance mod, but a correction of a design defect from the factory.

Timelord, thank you so much for all the time and effort you put in for this group buy, and especially the quick turn around once you received it. I am also very appreciative for all the info that I received about the product from the forum as well.

Thanks again,
SKR

Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 PM

Just installed mine (451 on a 6-speed)... Once the washer was out, everything came apart easily with the exception of removing the clips that hold the plug onto the pedal assembly.

By laying on my back I was able to use my hands to guide the pin at the top of the pedal back into it's bracket quite easily..

I just took it for a 15 mile drive, and it feels as if the car receives a surge of power every time I touch the accelerator pedal. It's possibly a little too sensitive for my driving style and traffic conditions, but it is definately fun.

I used to use the gas in reverse and when idling, probably can't do that anymore

Old 09-21-2006, 06:52 PM

My car drives fine after installation. However I noticed my SB only has 5 pins(on the grey plug). Is it because it's 451A(AT version)? Or is it missing a pin? Can someone check it?

Thanks Timelord for his time and effort!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by yellowrama
My car drives fine after installation. However I noticed my SB only has 5 pins(on the grey plug). Is it because it's 451A(AT version)? Or is it missing a pin? Can someone check it?

Thanks Timelord for his time and effort!
Mine has 5 pins as well...

Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM

The actual wiring harness may only utilize 5 out of the 6 pin positions.

This is not uncommon in the auto industry.

EDIT: Connectors are usually manufactured with an even number of pins, in reality lots of circuits utilize odd numbers of wires into and out of components. The Service manual shows that pin #2 is not used.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 09-21-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Just got SB installed today, took me about 15 min. The hardest part was probably getting the original connectors to separate. It was tight as hell!!!

I started driving and immediately notice a strong surge in acceleration (2,000 RPM ~ 3,500 RPM is most noticeable). I love this thing! the car feels a lot stronger on initial take off and RPM rises REALLY QUICKLY. You need to be really careful about stepping hard on the gas pedal after installing SB, because the car just takes off. However, I now need to re-adjust my driving behavior to the new setup. This was a great purchase.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
The actual wiring harness may only utilize 5 out of the 6 pin positions.

This is not uncommon in the auto industry.

EDIT: Connectors are usually manufactured with an even number of pins, in reality lots of circuits utilize odd numbers of wires into and out of components. The Service manual shows that pin #2 is not used.
That's good to hear. Btw, after I installed SD, the car does feel faster even though it isn't. I also need to re-adjust my driving behavior. It is quite sensitive to my foot. I notice that it drops a gear when I barely press the gas, and before I had to press it over 50% for transmission to drop a gear, so now I really have to feather my foot around that gas pedal.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Forum Regular

I'm reading about so many having difficulty installing the unit. The nut and pedal being a problem. STOP. You don't need anything more than a Phillips head screw driver. Remove two screws and you are done in 5 minutes.
First remove the screw on the side of the console where the vent is. After that is removed remove the second Phillips screw holding the side panel on the console in place. Remove the drivers side of the console. Now look back above the gas pedal and there is the plug. Squeeze the sides to release the locking mechanism on the plug. Unplug and insert the SB. Replug the plugs with the SB in line. Replace console side and screw and then the vent and screw and now you are done! No pedal removal or nut to drive you nuts. Simple.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:27 PM

Just installed my SB. Car is much more responsive when you push down the gas, like the way it ought to have been. I can definitely tell the difference, no more throttle lag, or transmission jerks. Definitely worth the $$$, I recommend it to everyone.

TimeLord , thank you so much for organizing this group buy, and all your hard work. You did a great job of keeping us all posted, and thanks for the installation tips. Safe travels to everyone!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by upstate
I'm reading about so many having difficulty installing the unit. The nut and pedal being a problem. STOP. You don't need anything more than a Phillips head screw driver. Remove two screws and you are done in 5 minutes.
First remove the screw on the side of the console where the vent is. After that is removed remove the second Phillips screw holding the side panel on the console in place. Remove the drivers side of the console. Now look back above the gas pedal and there is the plug. Squeeze the sides to release the locking mechanism on the plug. Unplug and insert the SB. Replug the plugs with the SB in line. Replace console side and screw and then the vent and screw and now you are done! No pedal removal or nut to drive you nuts. Simple.
Now we're talking! I printed the pictures, created a file of the steps...showed my husband...he wasn't too excited about some of the issues people were having...then I read this. Sounds great and so easy. I'm sending him out to do this in a few minutes!

I hope I can take it for a spin and report back!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM

since i am so late in this post, i'm going to ask, rather then take the hour to read the previous 40 pages and ask, is there another group buy coming up for this?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And how much does it cost?

Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 PM

Y'all - I installed mine in less than 10 minutes today. Money well spent! The car really lurches forward when you touch the accelerator. It seems to me that the supercharger kicks in a little sooner also (although maybe I'm imagining this). Great product! - be careful when you first put it in though - it's pretty aggressive especially when in traffic!
Thanks to MMZ_Timelord over in the x-fire forum for organizing the purchase!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
And how much does it cost?
And are upstate's installation directions really as easy as they seem to be?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfuny19
since i am so late in this post, i'm going to ask, rather then take the hour to read the previous 40 pages and ask, is there another group buy coming up for this?
I may try to get a group together, but be patient. I will know for sure by the end of the day.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:58 AM

sweet, i think we could muster up a few.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all your time and hard work TimeLord. I had a little trouble with the washer, but after moving the pedal around with the magnet attached it came right out. Had no problems putting it back together and am very happy with the outcome, money well spent, thanks again.

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster - A "Must-have"!