Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Coolant light on-radiator fan NOT spinning

Old 10-10-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant light on-radiator fan NOT spinning

Good Evening! I'm Veronica and I've recently acquired a 2005 XF XRT6 Coupe and named her Betty. I had a black 2004 XF Limited Coupe named Bruce in 2004-2005. Loved the car and regretted letting it go. However I did manage to keep the 3-piece luggage set and a 2005 dealer brochure. I purchased Betty in Georgia and drove her over 500 miles that day back to Florida. Only light on the dash was check engine which was the Secondary Air Injection System. No issues on way home. The previous owner had done the following maintenance: May 2021-new set of tires and alignment, June 2021-synthetic oil & filter change, July 2021-Replaced parts: Bosch Intercooler Fluid Pump, Intercooler Fluid Isolation Kit, Intercooler Pump Remove & Install, replace battery, August 2021-Relay Control Module. I purchased September 1, 2021. I had put her in the garage and wasn't able to drive her again until October. Battery was dead, got a jump and went to take a car over to a friend's house. Coolant light was on and then she overheated. Waited at friend's house, got coolant (it was already full, but some steamed out), had to get a jump again, made it home. Car has been starting up without jump. So far, I checked Engine Thermostat, Coolant Temperature Sensor, 50 amp Fuse = all ok. Replaced Fan Control Module and Fan (I saw recall and there was no mention on Carfax about it being replaced). It's not overheated. The radiator fan is still NOT spinning. I'm starting again with the 50 amp Fuses which I ordered and going to start replacement there. Also the radio stopped working which I checked the fuses = all OK. Heard that there is a fuse on the radio itself? If so, where? Did I miss something on the troubleshooting? I had the car looked over by a mechanic and was told the Secondary Air Injection System was an "emissions thing" and not to worry about it right away. Think that may solve my issues? I've been working on this on my own with a bit of help on reading the threads and I'm determined to get this resolved. Thank you in advanced for your help!!!

Old 10-11-2021, 09:53 AM
Received 429 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Re: Coolant light on-radiator fan NOT spinning

My first guess would be a weak battery even though it starts.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:24 AM

It's a brand New Battery.

The following users liked this post:
edc01 (07-12-2022)
Old 10-11-2021, 10:30 AM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

Super basic question but have you checked to see if you’re getting power to the fan motor?
Sometimes it’s the simplest things

Old 10-11-2021, 10:36 AM

I had put in a new FCM. It's a new fan and should work. Is there a way to check fan outside of the car?

Last edited by BettyNVeronica; 10-11-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BettyNVeronica
I had put in a new FCM. It's a new fan and should work. Is there a way to check fan outside of the car?
You could hook a wire pair into the big fan connector and run it up to the cowl with a 12V light bulb.
another way to command the fan on to warp speed is to pull the RCM and put some paper between the engine relay contacts.
turn the key on to just before start and wait. ( or I suppose you could just pull the small yellow fuse )

The one in the middle

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-12-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Forum member PizzaGuy has always been a great help to people with this subject. He knows all there is to know about the how our cooling system communicates. He’s posted about it quite a few times but I can’t find the exact post at the moment. Maybe search his profile for posts or threads he’s started