Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

How to test blower motor vs resistor vs hvac control switches???

Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to test blower motor vs resistor vs hvac control switches???

Hi everyone,

I too have the dreaded wonky fan speeds, seems to have a mind of it's own. I have done lots of searches and it seems a big problem is the blower motor resistor. I may go ahead and purchase one but I also don't like to just throw money at parts and hope one of them fixes it.. I want to find the one that is bad and replace that.

My problem is a bit more sporadic. If I set it to 2 or 3, it seems kind of high, but sometimes it speeds up sometimes it slows down.. if I slightly wiggle the actual fan speed control on the center console, it seems to impact the fan speed and it changes. This leads me to believe it COULD be my control unit and not the resistor / motor.

Does anyone know a definitive way to test my resistor, blower motor, and control unit? I would like to specifically know which one is the issue because these parts are over $100 a piece it seems.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: How to test blower motor vs resistor vs hvac control switches???

Originally Posted by tageier
Hi everyone,

I too have the dreaded wonky fan speeds, seems to have a mind of it's own. I have done lots of searches and it seems a big problem is the blower motor resistor. I may go ahead and purchase one but I also don't like to just throw money at parts and hope one of them fixes it.. I want to find the one that is bad and replace that.

My problem is a bit more sporadic. If I set it to 2 or 3, it seems kind of high, but sometimes it speeds up sometimes it slows down.. if I slightly wiggle the actual fan speed control on the center console, it seems to impact the fan speed and it changes. This leads me to believe it COULD be my control unit and not the resistor / motor.

Does anyone know a definitive way to test my resistor, blower motor, and control unit? I would like to specifically know which one is the issue because these parts are over $100 a piece it seems.
Good luck with the fix, I think people give up on these things too easily. They are not some new technology so how hard could it be to fix them?
A lot of things are made so that they seem impossible to open but with a few snips and some prying they generally open up.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Good luck with the fix, I think people give up on these things too easily. They are not some new technology so how hard could it be to fix them?
A lot of things are made so that they seem impossible to open but with a few snips and some prying they generally open up.
While I do appreciate your post and the time you gave to write it.. i'm very confused...

I don't think this is something that necessarily needs to be fixed?? I just need to know how to test the parts and get a new one whichever one is broken.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by tageier
While I do appreciate your post and the time you gave to write it.. i'm very confused...

I don't think this is something that necessarily needs to be fixed?? I just need to know how to test the parts and get a new one whichever one is broken.
I think that the very part that appears to be broken could be fixed, the price of these things is absurd.
Surely this is nothing more than a series of resistors and contacts.