Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Chrome Door Handle Covers?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome Door Handle Covers?

I stumbled upon a web site that sells chrome door handle covers for M/B's, they carried two or three different one's. In the pictures they looked like they would work on the Crossfires, so I called them and asked if they new if they would work on a Crossfire and explained to them the relationship between M/B and the Crossfire. Well the guy I talked to started acting like a real "D" when I mentioned the word Crossfire and just kept saying "I can't help you sir" over and over. In the item description they had the numbers "140 chassis" & "163 chassis" does this mean anything to anybody that knows M/B's? They were running around $90 a set, I came close to ordering a set, but I figured start a thread to see if these chassis numbers would mean anything to someone that knew M/B.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Chrome Door Handle Covers?

I have been looking as well with no luck. From the looks of things our door handles are the same as the SLK. I have found covers for the S class and their SUVs.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
I have been looking as well with no luck. From the looks of things our door handles are the same as the SLK. I have found covers for the S class and their SUVs.
I told the guy I was talking to that I thought they were the same as the SLK, but as I stated previously they guy turned into a real "D" when I said Crossfire and he wouldn't even listen to me, he just kept saying "I can't help you sir", so I figured I would post up these chassis # to see if they meant anything to someone that knows M/B. I e-mailed them too, here's the e-mail and reply --- Hello, my name is Steve, I was looking at your chrome door handle covers. I was wondering if you have any that fit a Chrysler Crossfire SRT6, it's the basically the same as the MB SLK 32. In your pictures they look the same, if they would fit I know a lot of people that would buy them. If you could please check to see if they would fit, if they would I know a place that would buy a couple hundred sets. Please reply to: steven.hellums@navy.mil

Thank you,
Steve

Sorry we can not help.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 01-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:32 PM

I wouldn't put those on the crossfire, it's going to look so cheap and tacky. Leave the car alone.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve,

W140 is a old S-Class Mercedes, W163 is the old M-Class Mercedes,
be sure that they don't fit. also the SLK ones don't fit the crossfire.

Regards,

CHROMETEC.
www.chrome-tec.de

Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Forum Regular

As stated above, the SLK handles are not the same. They are a flat front surface and ours have the line down the center of the handle. Ours are more "dome" style with the crease in the center.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by www.chrome-tec.de
Hi Steve,

Regards,

CHROMETEC.
www.chrome-tec.de
Thanks for the information, I knew a lot of people had mentioned that they would like to have chrome door handles. I for one would like to find some because I would like to do the chrome side grills and windscreen, but then you would be left with a silver door handle. Although I do like all the silver accents, I think I would like chrome better.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by www.chrome-tec.de
Hi Steve,

Regards,

CHROMETEC.
www.chrome-tec.de
Hey chrometec want to make us a set? I would gladly by them.

as for the chrome handle covers i don't think there is anyone that makes em as of yet... but the company that made the chrome grills and side vents... wonder why they did not do the door handles...

I guess the best thing to do is to have them removed and chrome dipped, but do not really know of a place that would do that.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Chrome Door Handle Covers?

I have also been searching for chrome door handles, they are not made for our cars and the SLK ones will not fit. The alternative is to remove yours or buy a new set from DChrysler and have them chromed. I was quoted from a chrome shop that only does auto restoration chrome a price of about $175.00 - $300.00 for a pair depending on the chroming technique.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
I have also been searching for chrome door handles, they are not made for our cars and the SLK ones will not fit. The alternative is to remove yours or buy a new set from DChrysler and have them chromed. I was quoted from a chrome shop that only does auto restoration chrome a price of about $175.00 - $300.00 for a pair depending on the chroming technique.
Can you tell me the location, phone number, or web address of this chrome shop... I would love to send mine or if not I would gladly drive 7 hours there 7 hours back to have this done among with a few other pieces...

Old 01-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Forum Regular

I need these also. It is the one missing chrome piece on my car.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by knowit
I need these also. It is the one missing chrome piece on my car.
The same goes for me.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in if someone can come up place to get the handles chromed. I would guess if someone were to find one their would be a great deal of interest.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
I'm in if someone can come up place to get the handles chromed. I would guess if someone were to find one their would be a great deal of interest.
I had contacted a place that chromed plastic parts to get a quote on chrome plating the little piece's behind the side grills. They were very expensive, I'm thinking $300 for each one so I changed my mind. They told me that chrome plating plastic the right way will cost a lot more than metal, I'm guessing the handles are probably plastic too, but here's the link. ---
www.4chrome.com/PlasticChrome.htm

Old 01-25-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I had contacted a place that chromed plastic parts to get a quote on chrome plating the little piece's behind the side grills. They were very expensive, I'm thinking $300 for each one so I changed my mind. They told me that chrome plating plastic the right way will cost a lot more than metal, I'm guessing the handles are probably plastic too, but here's the link. ---
www.4chrome.com/PlasticChrome.htm
Contacted them and send them the pictures... waiting on the response... will you let you know how much they want for the door handles. If I could get them both done for about $500 - $600 and they look good I will be perfectly happy... this is an expensive process and the finish should be well worth it.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:16 AM

At that price I think I'm sticking with my first plan, painting them the color of the car. I have a paint shop willing to paint them for $75.00 if I pull them off. Has anyone pulled the handles yet? If so could you give me some advise on how.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
At that price I think I'm sticking with my first plan, painting them the color of the car. I have a paint shop willing to paint them for $75.00 if I pull them off. Has anyone pulled the handles yet? If so could you give me some advise on how.
Yea quite a few people did that. You will probably have to remove them from the interior.

PS. 2 days those people did not reply yet.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Did you guys ever get the dorr handles chromed? If so can you post some pics?
Thanks i want to getine done.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:34 AM

Thank you guys for all the great , yet disappointing results. I think having them painted the same colour is the way.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
As stated above, the SLK handles are not the same. They are a flat front surface and ours have the line down the center of the handle. Ours are more "dome" style with the crease in the center.
I wonder if it would be possible to make a reverse jig/ mold of our door handles and use this guys SLK covers and heat press modify his to fit the crossfire. I understand about "leaving it alone", however this might be an option for those of us whose clearcoat is peeling at the door handles.

Quick Reply: Chrome Door Handle Covers?