Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Borla exhaust worth it or not?

Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla exhaust worth it or not?

I would like to know from you guys, if the borla makes a difference in your performance? And also is there anywhere that I could find a sound file on it for a Crossfire? Love some input.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Default Re: Borla exhaust worth it or not?

I have one. While I can say that I think I have noticed an increase in performance, this can be purely psychological to justify the $400 I spent.

I don't have a sound clip but the borla has a very noticeable drone in the 2,000 - 3,500 rpm range. Above 4,000 rpm, the borla sound just like the stock exhaust from within the car.

Kinda ironic as this is the opposite of the ricer type cars which make less noise when not gunning it and sound like a fart can on WOT.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Forum Regular

I had a borla system on my '02 Tbird. Had that same RPM drone. Did not like it at all. Corsa supposedly has no drone but for that you pay twice as much. My choice will be Corsa or none at all. That drone made the car unenjoyable.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the increase in performance is your imagination.

the borla is nice in the 2,000 - 2,500 range, but by the time you get to 3K there's _no_ difference from stock. im betting they did this to get rid of the drone at around 70 - 80 mph. i can describe the sound this way: it sounds like the stock exhaust accompanied by a 'boominess' that's an octave lower than stock.

mine was worth the $330 i paid for it (used, off this forum) but hardly worth the $600 that vendors are charging for them --

Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffro
Kinda ironic as this is the opposite of the ricer type cars which make less noise when not gunning it and sound like a fart can on WOT.
Would that be the classic 1974 Fart Can or the newer 96' Fart Can II?

Old 06-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe that 'former NXMX5' is correct when he says that the "increase in performance is in your imagination".
An engine is basically a pump - you put stuff in, and you pump stuff out.
I'm assuming that you've put better air filters in (so you have more air entering your engine) - you need to get rid of this extra air.
The stock exhaust may be able to handle it, but a less restrictive exhaust will let the air flow easier, therefore, 'freeing' up more of the existing power in the engine.
As is frequently mentioned on this forum - where are the dyno charts?
Maybe Borla has some on their webpage - take them with a pinch of salt, they are not going to say their product doesn't make any more power.
I'm not going to touch on the topic of back pressure, and air flow - that's way to technical.

However, to answer the original question - Is it worth the money?
$600 is a lot of money - if you're not married, then it's no problem!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 09:12 AM

you can't argue performance and dyno charts and then back it up with "that's way too technical" --

you have a stock exhaust manifold and stock catalytic converters to get through before you come to the muffler section. that's your constriction. by the time you get to the muffler there's no real increase in horsepower because you've already ruined your flow through the rest of the exhaust system. you need to change the air flow way before that (headers, hi-flow cats, etc.) to 'get rid of this extra air' that a K&N supposedly lets in.

additionally, while less constrictive exhaust systems increase power in the high RPM range, they kill your torque in the low RPM range, so the car will seem less punchy if you decrease the backpressure and don't compensate that loss somehow.

borla themselves hardly makes any claim of horsepower increase:

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...System/140083/

Old 06-14-2006, 01:02 PM

$600 bucks is not alot, when compared to the average sport motorcycle exhaust system going for about the same price... and its smaller.

Remember this is a stainless steel system, muffler and all... and will last a lifetime. Not some old midas muffler and such.

The sound is very nice... the longer i've owned my Borla the more i like it.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by figitt
$600 bucks is not alot, when compared to the average sport motorcycle exhaust system going for about the same price... and its smaller.

Remember this is a stainless steel system, muffler and all... and will last a lifetime. Not some old midas muffler and such.

The sound is very nice... the longer i've owned my Borla the more i like it.
Tell me about the drone around 2,000 RPM or 35-45 MPH?

Old 06-16-2006, 11:34 AM

Well i explained this in a previous thread maybe a year ago... it would seem to be only on cars with Automatics... its just the fact that the car is held in that rpm range by the transmission more often than a stick. all cars do it... its just a medium volume droan sound... certainly not too loud, but if you go with the magnaflow, you will see that its TOO loud. I had both at one point. The Borla has a very refined "european" car sound and not that raspy cheap sound of the magnaflow. Just my opinion.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Corsa has no drone.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by upstate
Corsa has no drone.
What Corsa exhaust - does not appear to exist.. have searched the Corsa web site and there is no mention of one for the crossfire??...

Note: not happy with BORLA ordered mine 3rd May though the official UK importer. BORLA has so far refused to tell me what has happened to it (are the latinos on strike again?). If they had not made me give a 50% deposit I would have well and truly blown them off by now.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Corsa will make them though. I had an XLR that had one third the production and they made them.
Ask for Jim Browning Jr. in sales he is the owners son. I'm sure with interest they will make them. Let me know what the out come is. I may be able to help get this ball rolling.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:22 AM

I own the Borla and have been thoroughly satisfied with it. At first i hadn't noticed much hp increase. However when i also added the K&N filters, I noticed a rather large increase. Also, the drone is not a hideous sound, it sounds like a purring german engine. Its a wonderful looking exhaust that costs a pretty penny and gives a little extra kick...

Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by bollox
What Corsa exhaust - does not appear to exist.. have searched the Corsa web site and there is no mention of one for the crossfire??...

Note: not happy with BORLA ordered mine 3rd May though the official UK importer. BORLA has so far refused to tell me what has happened to it (are the latinos on strike again?). If they had not made me give a 50% deposit I would have well and truly blown them off by now.
I was wondering what had happened with your Borla. It really annoys me when you get companies who claim to be 'the distributor' for stuff but never actually keep anything in stock, they just place an order when you do - what's the point of that?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 AM

After I install my new ecu and pulley and test it at the track, I'll get the exhaust done and test again. I don't have access to a RW dyno, but I have my track all day long. There was an issue getting my ECU done and I won't get it till saturday now. I'll do track testing next week. I did stock testing last week.

Once that is all done, I'll punch 2 of the cats out, attempt to make a dual exhaust and then buy some type of aftermarket muffler.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:03 PM

I love the Borla on my car. It's got enough sound to it and NOT overwhelming with drone. It was relatively easy to install myself and I LOVE IT!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

a board member has a used one for sale ... at $395.

i was told it was in great shape. a real fair price imo.

seller info: bud nixon 410-252-5543. or send him a pm (great guy )!

Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by woody
I was wondering what had happened with your Borla. It really annoys me when you get companies who claim to be 'the distributor' for stuff but never actually keep anything in stock, they just place an order when you do - what's the point of that?
Still no sign of the BORLA ... USAUTOMOTIVE the official UK importer who took £250 GBP deposit from me on the 3rd of May tell me the problem is with BORLA. According to USAUTOMOTIVE, BORLA have only sold 3 of crossfire exhausts this year worldwide. Therefore, it is a low priority build and due to them having a number of very lucrative OEM orders I can go whistle (I am sure they would have added "Have a nice Day").

This must be bull. I can see them advertised on ebay (3 last time I looked).

Will now be exploring how to get my deposit back due to having completely lost interest in giving BORLA or USAUTOMOTIVE my money. Maybe I will wait and see what woody comes up with.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular

I know some of you guys like that Borla sound, but I find it very difficult to drop $300-$600 on a muffler. hahaha you guys are nuts!

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust worth it or not?