Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

Eureka, I have found the light, and it is good!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Eureka, I have found the light, and it is good!

Did lots of LED testing and have some results worthy of reading. I tried many led lights for the tail light assembly with rather mixed results. Most lights are not good, but look ok by them selves.

The light bulbs in the car are about an amp so they are about 12 watts of light. Hard to beat when the leds are less than a watt all together. The photos do NOT show the differences as the camera can not show the gains to be had with LEDS.

My favorite and the ones I will have installed are the high power leds that are with a heat sink. They are blue for the white and red for the red LED assemblies. These winning LEDS are focused and project the light out; which works in our tail light assemblies. Most of the others scatter the light into the reflector and look ok fooling your eye.

Check out my album, yes there is another one now, to get more info. I will get the IDs and P/N of the lamps that I used from EBAY. You can enjoy the operation too.

DATA:
THe blue-white LEDS are good for the backup light, I tested them at night and they appear to be bright enough to be worthy. I tested them by looking back from the car at night on dark gravel, one light exposed at a time stock versus the LED. From the rear , the LEDS look very good and a bit bluish, like the tag lights, not orangie like the incandescent lamp.

The red- red cased LEDS are real eye catchers without being too too offensive, like I wanna cut your punk ricer **** off. The light is a pure red and looks good in the housing, good color. Unlike the lamp, the LED had a singular red spot in the tail light that is at least as bright if not a 1/3 better image. THe camera is totally confused and can not show any of the clarity of light output. Have to trust me, they look good and are good for that sleepy POS following too closely behind you.

ALL LEDS shown use less power and will run a foul of the lamp out indicator, so you gotta get some resistors and add them in parallel with each ""FILAMENT"" of the lamps. Two for the brake and one resistor for the back up LED. I did not fool with the amber turn lamp as there are not good ones available for less than about 40$. Not worth it to me.

Wanna brighter lights and faster turn on of the brake lights, go LED. Please look over the photos, and see the small differences the camera was able to do. My camera shots were from the rear at a distance of about 30 feet, still overwhelmed the camera CCD cells, bluring the image. You gotta see the real deal to appreciate it, just dont get the little ones with a bunch of LEDS on a stick, not making it IMHO.

Enjoy, hope this helps get you lit so to speak, Woody

RED, ink get it ?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Eureka, I have found the light, and it is good!

My $40 splurge on the amber ones in "half lit" thread.. do have a great output (advertised at 8W) And I'm adjusting to the Hyper Flash.. just consider it a unique feature now.. LOL. Looking forward to your finds for design shape and output.

I'd splurge for error free tail lights if I knew they were going to have the output that was 100% acceptable!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My LED side markers are throwing the light out indicator already so maybe I should just LED all around and put some black tape over the indicator

Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Talking Re: Eureka, I have found the light, and it is good!

I have the resistors, 100 ohm to fix that if you wish, that way the indicator is still sensing the real incandescent bulbs. Need one per light and it is wired in parallel, one lead to ground and one lead to the 'filament' wire. Woody

Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
I have the resistors, 100 ohm to fix that if you wish, that way the indicator is still sensing the real incandescent bulbs. Need one per light and it is wired in parallel, one lead to ground and one lead to the 'filament' wire. Woody
you lost me at "wired". I'm pretty inept when it comes to electrical work(couldn't even solder my own RCM)... but if its really that easy, I may look into enlisting someone to help me figure it out

Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
My $40 splurge on the amber ones in "half lit" thread.. do have a great output (advertised at 8W) And I'm adjusting to the Hyper Flash.. just consider it a unique feature now.. LOL. Looking forward to your finds for design shape and output.

I'd splurge for error free tail lights if I knew they were going to have the output that was 100% acceptable!

Hyper flash is the fast blinking turn signals right? Did you use the same bulbs for front and rear turn signals?

Old 02-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Correct on Hyper Flash.. about 2-3 times faster blink. And is considered your indication of a bulb out on that side.

Having a pair of the Chinese vesions ($10 bucks) and a pair of the pictured above, I tried them in all combinations possible on one side. "Same" leds on one side.. combination, bulb LED..etc. When the high dollar ones were dropped into the backup lights.. no bulb out error. Chinese (even though advertised canbus error free) would pop the dash light in the reverse sockets.

The colors are different between the two sets.. High dollars are more of an amber color where as the chinese swing towards a yellow. So high dollars in front and chinese in back. I'm good with it till price drops like digital watches..LOL.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 02-10-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did lots of LED testing and have some results worthy of reading. I tried many led lights for the tail light assembly with rather mixed results. Most lights are not good, but look ok by them selves.

The light bulbs in the car are about an amp so they are about 12 watts of light. Hard to beat when the leds are less than a watt all together. The photos do NOT show the differences as the camera can not show the gains to be had with LEDS.

My favorite and the ones I will have installed are the high power leds that are with a heat sink. They are blue for the white and red for the red LED assemblies. These winning LEDS are focused and project the light out; which works in our tail light assemblies. Most of the others scatter the light into the reflector and look ok fooling your eye.

Check out my album, yes there is another one now, to get more info. I will get the IDs and P/N of the lamps that I used from EBAY. You can enjoy the operation too.

DATA:
THe blue-white LEDS are good for the backup light, I tested them at night and they appear to be bright enough to be worthy. I tested them by looking back from the car at night on dark gravel, one light exposed at a time stock versus the LED. From the rear , the LEDS look very good and a bit bluish, like the tag lights, not orangie like the incandescent lamp.

The red- red cased LEDS are real eye catchers without being too too offensive, like I wanna cut your punk ricer **** off. The light is a pure red and looks good in the housing, good color. Unlike the lamp, the LED had a singular red spot in the tail light that is at least as bright if not a 1/3 better image. THe camera is totally confused and can not show any of the clarity of light output. Have to trust me, they look good and are good for that sleepy POS following too closely behind you.

ALL LEDS shown use less power and will run a foul of the lamp out indicator, so you gotta get some resistors and add them in parallel with each ""FILAMENT"" of the lamps. Two for the brake and one resistor for the back up LED. I did not fool with the amber turn lamp as there are not good ones available for less than about 40$. Not worth it to me.

Wanna brighter lights and faster turn on of the brake lights, go LED. Please look over the photos, and see the small differences the camera was able to do. My camera shots were from the rear at a distance of about 30 feet, still overwhelmed the camera CCD cells, bluring the image. You gotta see the real deal to appreciate it, just dont get the little ones with a bunch of LEDS on a stick, not making it IMHO.

Enjoy, hope this helps get you lit so to speak, Woody

RED, ink get it ?

To clarify for the masses, can you post a link to purchase the ones that meet your stringent standards? Both the reverse and b/u bulbs, thanks!

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Waldig,

Great write up.

Could you please tell me where to find the LED Brake lights you ended up using? I looked in the album and couldn't find the info.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where did you get the Hyper flash from

Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi waldig...
received the resistors a couple of days back.
pardon my procrastination for not getting back to ya.
thanks a heap

Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Here is the red 7 watter, that is way bright. Enjoy, Woody

Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Here is the red 7 watter, that is way bright. Enjoy, Woody

? Am I missing something here?

Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Doing too many things, trying to build a house now. Here it is. Woody

2X Bright Red CREE Q5 7W SMD LED Auto Tail Brake Park 1157 BAY15D 12V DC New | eBay RED

2 Pcs High Power S25 LED Q5 7W Car Bulb 1156 BA15S CREE LED Taillight | eBay WHITE

Both 7 watts (rated)

Enjoy

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM

I hope your playing general contractor on that..
Added a 20x25 living room to my place (log home) and I know how much fun that stuff can be!