Southeast Forum Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN.

Oct 14 Orl Speedway GTG

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oct 14 Orl Speedway GTG

Graniteguy,
Does that mean that you will not be joining us for dinner? If you don't join us, then you need to plan on being at the speedway for 6:30. If you need directions, let me know. Glad the two of you are going with us for the evening.

John

Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Forum Regular

And so the list continues to grow:

John & spouse

Kevin & spouse
Dan
Sharon
Clif
Quinton
GraniteGuy & spouse
Kamjin
Dfuny19

Keep em coming!

Old 09-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

We've still got three weeks till our GTG, everyone still ready to go? I'll see if I can find us a spot for dinner this week. I'm going to be taking some days off from work so I should have the time to look.

Has everyone been enjoying the love bugs this past week or so?

We are looking forward to seeing everyone again on the 14th.

John

Old 09-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Toy
We've still got three weeks till our GTG, everyone still ready to go? I'll see if I can find us a spot for dinner this week. I'm going to be taking some days off from work so I should have the time to look.

Has everyone been enjoying the love bugs this past week or so?

We are looking forward to seeing everyone again on the 14th.

John
John,

HATE THE DARN LOVE BUGS!!! Car has stayed in the garage. Truck is covered with 'em!

I'm ready to roll. Kamjin has been in touch for us to hook up for the trip down from Jacksonville. I'll be making a trip up to NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway the weekend before so I have some road time coming up next month. Just wish the Oktoberfest hadn't fizzled out. Oh well.

Since there are more of us...should we shoot for maybe 3:00?? A little more chat time/photo op before the trip to Bithlow. Just a thought/suggestion. Let us know.

Dan

Old 09-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Forum Regular

3 pm might be a better choice. Let's see what I find for a place to eat at, and then we can pick a time based upon it's location. We weren't pressed for time at the last GTG, but them we also didn't have any extra time to chat outside and do photo's and such. That's a good suggestion, thanks.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 AM

i can't wait...i, alas, will be coming by myself.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Forum Regular

3 pm works just fine... and I'm looking forward to it!!

But we BETTER NOT get rained out again! If that happens then that meeting spot is jinxed and we'll have to come up with some other location!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by danimal
John,

HATE THE DARN LOVE BUGS!!! Car has stayed in the garage. Truck is covered with 'em!

I'm ready to roll. Kamjin has been in touch for us to hook up for the trip down from Jacksonville. I'll be making a trip up to NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway the weekend before so I have some road time coming up next month. Just wish the Oktoberfest hadn't fizzled out. Oh well.

Since there are more of us...should we shoot for maybe 3:00?? A little more chat time/photo op before the trip to Bithlow. Just a thought/suggestion. Let us know.

Dan
I have never witnessed so many bugs mating before. Do they die as soon as there done. I have like so many dead ones on my apt's balcony it's
ridiculous. At first I just thought it as being a random event me seeing bugs flying around stuck together. Then I began seeing more and more...is this a natural event (little black bugs mating) during this time of year? Fortunately I haven't had to drive any long distances so I haven't got the bugs all on the front bumper like I've seen on a number of other cars.

Can't wait to meet everyone in a couple of weeks!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:37 PM

my car is nasty with bugs...you will have to make a special wash trip after your drive to o-town.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MrQue05
At first I just thought it as being a random event me seeing bugs flying around stuck together. Then I began seeing more and more...is this a natural event (little black bugs mating) during this time of year?
Every April/May and September/October...but they haven't been too bad the last couple of years. And they still aren't as bad as several years back. They are actually flies that come from South America and entered the US in Texas...now they have spread from TX all the way up through SC. Some "nole" tried to start a rumor some years back that it was an experiment gone bad at UF...that one still cracks me up!!!

But they are really acidic and WILL pit your paint badly if not removed daily, and it takes some serious scrubbing if they have dried. I do hope that they have finished doing their thing before Orlando. See you there.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I was in PepBoys the other day and they had this protectant spray (don't remember name but it was in the paint section) that you could make your own car bra out of. It washes off with soap and water but does not come off by rain alone...anybody ever tried this stuff.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Forum Regular

The bugs are almost gone as we speak, so I'm sure that in another 18 days we shouldn't see anymore of them. I'm looking very forward to our meeting.

John

Old 09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. I was in PepBoys the other day and they had this protectant spray (don't remember name but it was in the paint section) that you could make your own car bra out of. It washes off with soap and water but does not come off by rain alone...anybody ever tried this stuff.
Hmmm... I would want to see it demonstrated for effectiveness and ease of removal before I sprayed it on the front end of my car!

Kevin

Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Okay, I haven't tried this yet, but the radio stations/paper here in Jax are claiming how easy the love bugs come off if you use wet Cling Free Dryer Sheets to wash the front of the car. They say it just dissolves the dried bug guts. I'm going to try it on my truck first but will let you know. Sounds safer than spraying on a bra from a can.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM

the bug and tar remover works great but, it has to be cool and in the shade...two things i rarely see in south florida.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Forum Regular

7 days before our next GTG!!! The countdown is on!

So, what are the plans this time besides hooking up at 3 pm? Are we going to try and do it closer to the track this time?

And in case you are wondering, yes, I'll have my helmet just in case.

Also, I may have found another person to join us - I keep looking for his note to say he'll be there. But I sent him a reminder and will call him again.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again...
Until then!!
Sharon

Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Forum Regular

Hey everyone,

I haven't been able to get out and find us a place to eat yet, I had to go out of town due to a death in the family. My wife's dad passed away last week out in Texas and we drove out for the funeral. I'll find us a place this Sunday without failure and post so everyone can plan.

Sharon, Let me know when you hear from the new guy. Great job finding another to join us.

We are both looking forward to this coming Saturday GTG!!!!

John

Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Forum Regular

Ok, its dinner time!!
We went and looked around for a nice place for all of us to meet for dinner and I found a couple of nice places. I looked in two area's of town, the first near where we ate last time and the other closer to the track. I found a Longhorn Steakhouse about 10 miles from the track which looked like a great place for all of us to meet. Very new, great parking, and just off the 408 toll road. From what I saw today, this would be my first recommendation. Below is a link to there menu.

Near where we ate before, there is a Golden Corral and an Orlando Ale House. I don't think the Ale House would suit our group of 10 or so all that well. The Golden Corral would be easy for all of us to eat at, but I think both of these are maybe a bit causal. I found a couple of more nice steakhouses but they are on International Drive, right in the middle of tourist town. While I don't see us having a problem with eating at 4 pm, I would see us having a bit of a problem with leaving at 5:45 to 6 pm.

So my selection for dinner Saturday is the Longhorn Steakhouse. If the group agrees I'll make reservations.

We're getting really excited about this weekend and going to dinner and the races. We are looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new members of the Crossfire family.

There address is: 309 N Alafaya Trail, Orl 32828 407.482.2100

http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/Me...u.asp?MenuID=2

Anyone needing directions or any other info, just let me know.

John

Last edited by The Toy; 10-08-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:50 AM

sounds great john, count me in for longhorn.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular

Clif, Are you still coming up here by yourself?

Quick Reply: Oct 14 Orl Speedway GTG