All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

OEM Battery Record?

Old 12-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Re: OEM Battery Record?

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
Over charging and heat makes hydrogen gas, why it is explosive, I have dealt with hydrogen many times.

Attachment 38391

This is the agm in my truck, it just has the pop offs for each cell, been in my truck for atleast 6 years, just took the terminal off so the battery doesn't drain dead with brake lights, I am changing out the power brake booster, so pedal is loose and brake lights would be on.
Never coated the terminals or done anything to them since sealed batteries.
Would like to see a standard flooded battery that has terminals this clean without treating them for this long.

The agm in my golden jubilee tractor, the battery gets rained on and terminals just as clean.
Oh I get it, you show me yours and I show you mine. LOL
My 12 year old Varta looks perfect. My 8 year old CTC one looks great as well.
No leaks = no corrosion, simple.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

Again, personal preferences, just like oils, waxes, lubricants, etc, its whatever the person wants to spend for whatever he/she wishes to buy, right?

Old 12-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Diehard AGM

My Diehard AGM has no vent connections but does have this label. Agree all batteries have some sort of overpressure protection.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Received 503 Likes on 429 Posts

All the AGM/SLA batteries I have been exposed to have vents. Since most of the ones I have experience with are for smaller sized (alarm systems, UPS's, vehicle jump boxes), I have none with car/vehicle sized overpriced units. On these AGM/SLA's the (vents) are usually UNDER a glues label, glued cover, or a combination of both. Every larger battery I have come across (wet cells) have had only two types of vents. Those with access to the electrolyte, and those that are 'maintenance free' that you have to find a way to access the electrolyte. On wet cells, I access the cells to insure the acid is at its level above the cell plates and below the maximum fill level. IF there is no way to tell its max level, I just insure there is enough in the cell to cover the plates (and check occasionally). I do not recommend anyone open these batteries (AGM/SLA/WetCell) as you can get burned by acid. I do on my wet cells because I have had brand new batteries low on electrolyte right out of the store (bad QC, or wanting to sell more after they prematurely degrade?). Finally, many people handling/buying small/medium consumer vehicle batteries tend to not know or care what is in them or how they work, let alone how to maximize their lifespan.

Lets hope the post here doesn't encourage anyone to damage their car by trying to break a record OR think their battery can last as long, or longer. Like any link of a chain, the weakest link might be an expensive module (and we all know these parts can be very hard to come by).

Old 12-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett

Diehard AGM

My Diehard AGM has no vent connections but does have this label. Agree all batteries have some sort of overpressure protection.
The DieHard size (#48) for the Crossfire has vents, as shown in this thread from a Corvette site. Evidently the C7 uses the same battery as us. You can see a vent hole in the end of the battery in the photo. CLICK
I would not belabor the point about vents but it is a safety issue when the battery is in the trunk as in some other cars like the Chrysler 300. The batteries are ending up in the trunk these days, the result is a longer life due to the cooler temperature.