All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Information please

Old 06-16-2016, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information please

Hello all, my name is Rich and I'm new to the crossfire form. I am in pursuit of buying a crossfire, I have in my sites an 04 crossfire. Just wanting some ideas of common problems to the vehicle and what I should be checking before buying this vehicle. I of course will have it checked out by my mechanic but was just wondering if there's anything specifically that I should be looking in a 28k miles crossfire. It's an automatic, convertible. I am an owner of a 380 SL Mercedes which I love and that's why am looking at the crossfire. I also have a Jaguar. Its beyond me why these cars are so inexpensive, therefore Im shopping for one. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:16 AM
Received 623 Likes on 493 Posts
Default Re: Information please

Originally Posted by Richpcb
Hello all, my name is Rich and I'm new to the crossfire form. I am in pursuit of buying a crossfire, I have in my sites an 04 crossfire. Just wanting some ideas of common problems to the vehicle and what I should be checking before buying this vehicle. I of course will have it checked out by my mechanic but was just wondering if there's anything specifically that I should be looking in a 28k miles crossfire. It's an automatic, convertible. I am an owner of a 380 SL Mercedes which I love and that's why am looking at the crossfire. I also have a Jaguar. Its beyond me why these cars are so inexpensive, therefore Im shopping for one. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Welcome to the forum & good luck with your planned purchase.

These cars are mostly a joy to own, but aren't without a nuisance issue here & there. Since you're looking at a 12-yr old car, the RCM (Relay Control Module) & CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) are suspect in the near future. Won't be able to see a defect or fault code on either, but timing & experience tells us these will be issues not far down the road. Neither one is a significant repair cost and the Forum will provide ample info on how to get these two issues resolved.

Look along the bottom door seal behind the rubber seal. Just pull it away a bit. Crossfire is prone to oxidation along this metal seam. But it is a fixable issue that you could do yourself. Again, the Forum has this covered.

I'm sure there are other issues related to Roadsters and Crossfires in general that others here will share with you. Just know that there probably isn't any issue on the Crossfire that hasn't been encountered by a Forum member with a known solution/repair identified & shared with others. We take care of our own.

Later,

Last edited by dedwards0323; 06-16-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Hi, click here and see a list of possible problem areas.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:52 AM

Thanks for the tips. I had viewed the car today. There is an issue with the rear window leaking, driver side bottom corner. He had sealed the window as far as I know with some type of sealant, I understand at one time theree was a recall for this, but I think the deadline for the recall has lapsed. The car is a 2005 Crossfire. Forgot to check under the door rubber seal, I'll check that when I see it again. The only issue that I could see was the tire pressure idiot light was on. Owner explain that it's been like that for a while and to repair was roughly $85 per wheel stem valve. Owner also mention that the crank sensors were replaced and a new battery about four months ago. Will be taking it to my Indy to have the car checked all good I'm ready to go. Could anyone please elaborate on the recall window, or recall if it's still in place and any advice on the low tire pressure stem valve idiot light. Thanks again for all your help guys/girls. Rich

Old 06-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Rich.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 248 Likes on 205 Posts

richpcb : For the TPMS go to the search box on the top of the page and enter TPMS
It is my understanding the entire top of a convertible will be replaced on model years 2005 if the car has under 100,000 miles. Contact your nearest Chrysler dealer for details. You can also get more info again with the search box and enter top recall or convertible top.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I had viewed the car today. There is an issue with the rear window leaking, driver side bottom corner. He had sealed the window as far as I know with some type of sealant, I understand at one time theree was a recall for this, but I think the deadline for the recall has lapsed. The car is a 2005 Crossfire. Forgot to check under the door rubber seal, I'll check that when I see it again. The only issue that I could see was the tire pressure idiot light was on. Owner explain that it's been like that for a while and to repair was roughly $85 per wheel stem valve. Owner also mention that the crank sensors were replaced and a new battery about four months ago. Will be taking it to my Indy to have the car checked all good I'm ready to go. Could anyone please elaborate on the recall window, or recall if it's still in place and any advice on the low tire pressure stem valve idiot light. Thanks again for all your help guys/girls. Rich
Rich,
With TPMS first thing check that the pressure is correct. When I bought my 2004 XF last year I had the same problem. My son checked the pressure telling me it was OK. NOT, he thought it should be about 28pps. Not so, the front should be 32 and the rear 33 Try this first. I brought my tires up to the proper pressure and the light went out never to return. UNTIL, the cold weather came, pressure went down light came on. check this out first. Your problem just might be low pressure. Maybe not. Worth a shot.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:59 AM

OK, will check the pressure once I possess the car. Double check with the owner he had changed the CPS sensor and the ABS modular. My question is, the car only has 28k miles, is this going to be a recurring replacement of parts At every 28 k miles or so?

Old 06-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

The TPMS issue is more age than mileage. At 10+ years, the original batteries are about done.

Each TPMS sensor has a centrifugal switch that connects the battery at 20+ MPH. It's the shelf life of the battery that mostly matters.

The CPS issue, can't say, some are still on the original after 100,000 + miles.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Thank you, how about the abs modular? Is it a concern to fail only at 28k, did a search here and found nothing. Hopefully someone here has experience with the frequency of the ABS failure?
Thanks again for the input here.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Thank you, how about the abs modular? Is it a concern to fail only at 28k, did a search here and found nothing. Hopefully someone here has experience with the frequency of the ABS failure?
Thanks again for the input here.
Everything fails at some point, the ABS module is not a major concern at all. I wonder where you got all the bad info, not this forum surely.
Remember that not many people add a post saying their car is really reliable, people only post their problems. Reading this forum is like going to a hospital and assuming many in the general population are sick, which would be true but you only go to a hospital if you are sick, visiting or work there.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM

Onehundred80,
Not understanding what you mean by "getting Bad info". I was asking if there was a concern at 28k that the modulars go out. I never said people here or anywhere else have said they are a issue. I was asking if it could BE AN issue on THIS CAR I was buying. At no time, at any time, whould I ever say that the information on these sites are in accurate or not reliable. I live and die on these sites when Im buying and working on my cars. The information of the abs going out at 28k was from the po, (as mentioned in original post )not someone on this site, It was not from anywhere in this blog. The information as I stated was from the owner, and again, I was asking IF IT IS A CONCERN on THIS CAR that the abs go out at such low mileage. This question has been addressed in previous replies. So read carefully , I have a great respect for the people In this forum.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:52 AM

I made the analogy of the hospital with reference to the car problems mentioned on the forums, you should get the drift, so read carefully. I pointed you to the thread with the areas of possible concern, now I get crap from you.
I'll leave you to search out the failing rear window problems and possible solutions, the area that you have seem to have bad info on, good luck.
You only mentioned the ABS module in post #8 and I answered it, I will refrain from answering any more of your posts.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-20-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:26 PM

This crap your getting is clarifying that I did not say anyone here have bad info that you suggested. You need to read carefully. I did go to the roof link, thank you for that information, it is greatly appericatrd. Sorry if we have a difference of thread information so as to keep the peace let's move on.

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I made the analogy of the hospital with reference to the car problems mentioned on the forums, you should get the drift, so read carefully. I pointed you to the thread with the areas of possible concern, now I get crap from you.
I'll leave you to search out the failing rear window problems and possible solutions, the area that you have seem to have bad info on, good luck.
You only mentioned the ABS module in post #8 and I answered it, I will refrain from answering any more of your posts.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Update, I want ahead and pulled the trigger and bought 2005 Crossfire,yellow. This is an outstanding vehicle, strong running and handling. I'm very very pleased with my purchase. I'd like to extend a big thank to everyone who expressed positive comments and helpful insight in making my decision. I will say, I was always interested in this vehicle due to the fact I have one Mercedes already. I would like to verify with members if I could in that I'm takeout the advice of members on the website and carry an extra CPS sensor. I priced them AutoZone, $114 a no-name. AutohausAz has one for $43. If you could please verify for me the AutohausAz CPS is for an 2005 SLK 320, part number 003153282. Also there is some confusion of what type of tool needed to replace this item. I believe it's some type of star reach? Thank you again and as I learn more of this vehicle I will be more than happy to engage in conversation with anything I find from my perspective and always appreciate your viewpoint and knowledge, thank you

Old 06-29-2016, 08:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My spare Bosch CPS is #0261210170 and this link from 180 shows the tools required to replace it:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...sor-rev.-3.pdf

Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 PM

Holy crap, thank you for the great detailed information. Greatly appreciate it, it clears everything up. Excellent write up and photos By onehundred80.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 PM
Administrator
Received 969 Likes on 756 Posts

I'd carry a spare. In fact, I've carried a spare CPS since 2010 and used one about two years ago. Buying a generic one locally often works, and often does not work. Get a Bosch - and if you search for one, search for "2003 Mercedes SLK320" not the Crossfire.

I like German Auto Supply dot com for those kinds of items - LOW cost and have always been actual Bosch parts.

There is a DIY top window fix on this forum that seems to work well (thanks to DJ). Given the ten year limit, I'd bet the time is past that you will get a free top. With both of my 05 Roadsters, I got a letter from Chrysler telling me that both cars were covered to 100,000 miles and ten years, even without me contacting them.