Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Original air pump and tire sealant

Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original air pump and tire sealant

What are the odds of the air pump working? The one that came with the SRT-6 has never been opened, nor has the sealant canister. Regarding the latter, I doubt much if it would flow.

For the Ltd. I'd bought a very nice , but not particularly quick pump that connects to the battery. Best part it fits perfectly in one of the under the mat trunk slots. I also bought a new sealant tube.

I know this has come up, most likely a lot, but is there a problem with the low pressure warning senders using over the counter tire sealant?

Old 06-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Administrator
Received 969 Likes on 756 Posts
Default Re: Original air pump and tire sealant

1) The tire sealant, by now, has expired in all of our cars. (I don't KNOW this personally, but it has been said over and over.)

2) Using ANY sealant is a last - ditch solution that, from what others have posted here over the six years I've been here, will cost you some extra money. The crud will clog the TPMS sensor and often throws the wheel out of balance, which means it has to be cleaned from the wheel when you mount the new tire.

3) The Air Compressor that came in my 07 last year was also unused - I've used it four times already. Works like a little champ.

Go get a tire plug kit - I yanked a nail out of my driver's side front tire three weeks ago, and sealed the hole, all without even taking the damn tire off the car. Its not hard, just takes a LITTLE upper body strength to jam the cement-covered-plug in.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:19 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 637 Likes on 435 Posts

Original air pump should work fine
The original sealant is probably hardened in the can and would not work
Using any liquid sealant will damage the sensors that trigger the TPMS light
Don't us any of them and instead use a plug kit

Pizzaguy beat me to the answer...LOL

Last edited by Valk; 06-07-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Yea, but you beat me back to the loge that day............

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 PM
Forum Regular
Default Original air pump and tire sealant

Thanks guys. I do not know, that when I ordered the compressor and slime, I didn't order a tire patch kit. That looks like a good one.

Can I assume the rough looking tool is to, umm, rough up the nail hole so when you stick the gooped up filler plug, using the backwards large needle, it will stick better?

Why use short sentences when a really long one works better.

Assuming the tire is completely flat, how long does it take the pump to take it at least up to 30 pounds?

And how difficult is it to get the wire and pump stuffed back into the carrying case?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes, the round file is to rough up the hole so the glue stuff sticks better.
I'd say flat to 30 is about 4-5 minutes, these low profile tires don't hold a whole lot of air.
Level of difficulty on the stuffing would be about 2 on a 1-5 scale.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:52 PM

I also bought a plug kit for my xfire.
I would never use that sealer kit that is in the bottom of the trunk.. That's just future job creation when you need to clean out all that crap out from the inside of your tire and wheel.
My question is can the air pump in the trunk be used to inflate the tire only without the use of the slime? So I can inflate tire and put in a plug. Or is this air pump attachment only for use with the slime tank?
I haven't taken it out yet to check it out hence figured I would just ask here to start with..

Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE
I also bought a plug kit for my xfire.
I would never use that sealer kit that is in the bottom of the trunk.. That's just future job creation when you need to clean out all that crap out from the inside of your tire and wheel.
My question is can the air pump in the trunk be used to inflate the tire only without the use of the slime? So I can inflate tire and put in a plug. Or is this air pump attachment only for use with the slime tank?
I haven't taken it out yet to check it out hence figured I would just ask here to start with..
Yes, the air pump can be used to inflate the tire without connection to the sealant bottle. I've used mine on a handful of occasions even to inflate tires on other vehicles. It's actually a reasonably powerful pump. Why do I say this? Because when I plug it into my faithful Oldsmobile, it will predictably blow the cigarette lighter fuse in less than 30 seconds. That little pump and a vulcanized rubber tire plug kit will get you back on the road for the vast majority of flat tire situations. Also, make sure to carry needle-nose pliers with you to remove nails and screws. The rasp tool not only cleans up the hole and roughens it a bit, it also widens the hole a bit so that you can get the needle and plug in there without eating a can of spinach first. Easiest to get a plug in after you've inflated the tire a bit.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rob M
Yes, the air pump can be used to inflate the tire without connection to the sealant bottle. I've used mine on a handful of occasions even to inflate tires on other vehicles. It's actually a reasonably powerful pump. Why do I say this? Because when I plug it into my faithful Oldsmobile, it will predictably blow the cigarette lighter fuse in less than 30 seconds. That little pump and a vulcanized rubber tire plug kit will get you back on the road for the vast majority of flat tire situations. Also, make sure to carry needle-nose pliers with you to remove nails and screws. The rasp tool not only cleans up the hole and roughens it a bit, it also widens the hole a bit so that you can get the needle and plug in there without eating a can of spinach first. Easiest to get a plug in after you've inflated the tire a bit.
VERY well stated, but I also carry a medium size pair of diagonal cutters as well, because sometimes it is easier to grasp the end of a nail with the sharp cutters, REALLY squeeze (so that the cutters dig into the nail a bit) - if the head of the nail has been worn off becasue you didn't know it was in there, the cutting action of the dikes will give you a good grip on the nail.

Carry a small-medium screwdriver as well, to put under the dikes, sometimes you need a fulcrum/leverage to pry the nail out.

(If ya cant' tell, I've done this countless times with the XF, pickup, and mower...)