Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

POP! Oh no ...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: POP! Oh no ...

New IAT sensor is in (thanks Rob) and I went for a test ride. Cars running great. My blue injectors are in the mail to Marren for service. Honestly, I'm curious about the test results, how they compare to the earlier blacks I serviced and installed. The Pierburg and new filter (again, thanks to Rob) are on my agenda for later this week.

Les

Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by velociabstract
New IAT sensor is in (thanks Rob) and I went for a test ride. Cars running great. My blue injectors are in the mail to Marren for service. Honestly, I'm curious about the test results, how they compare to the earlier blacks I serviced and installed. The Pierburg and new filter (again, thanks to Rob) are on my agenda for later this week.

Les
sweet! Do you think it was the meth nozzle?

Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM

It was the meth nozzle. I'd checked the nozzle to Y pipe and the hose connection to the nozzle and both were tight. What was loose was an interior piece with a screen filter that screws into the nozzle that's tapped into the Y pipe. I didn't even know it was a separate part. I'm not positive the IAT sensor was faulty but it seemed a good bet.

Les

Old 05-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Appreciate all the notes!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 AM

Looks like the meth kit is still causing problems. The meth tank was empty so I added a liter, armed the system and blamo, engine stumbles, IAT's drop below ambient, in other words FUBAR once more. I'm pulling the hose and capping the nozzle for now. Before adding the meth I did some spirited runs, very satisfying, and all seemed fine but now I'm hearing a hiss on the drivers side. I can't pinpoint the sound precisely so piece by piece it's coming apart again starting with the hoses. The sound is loudest around where I have the catch can hoses routed but also from either the drivers side manifold, throttle body, Y pipe area. Out comes the spray bottle and pockets full of patience.

Les

Old 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have access to e85? its more costly in the beginning but it produces more power than meth and easier to dial in.
like i told you from the beginning running meth is diffucult to setup and if not tuning for it the benefits are minimal. sorry you had to find out the hard way

Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM

I'm coming around slowly but surely Steve. Steve doesn't talk BS! As far as the meth kit, it seems the controller went on the fritz. I already talked to the original installer and he's going to yank the controller and set it up using "a more reliable method". My "meth tune" was dialing it up and down on the dyno until no power was lost from the spray. What it did successfully was keep the power constant with no fall off when things got toasty. Without the meth the car felt like it lost 50 hp when good and hot.

Les

Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont remember what meth unit your running but theres only 1 setup in my book. howerton engineering aquamist kit. using pulse signal vs rising rate is yrs ahead and most companies are moving in this direction. also you want to spray via injector duty cycle. this way you always have the proper mix of meth and fuel no matter what the rpm or boost

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM

It's an AEM kit. The controller adjusts from 0 to 30 psi and when it starts and reaches 150 psi is adjustable. I like the kit but ...... if it breaks in a way that can lunch an engine ........ cheap is expensive. I count myself fortunate to still have a healthy one.

Les

Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

oh damn....that is the same kit I have....I will have to post a photo of the controller. They have a couple of different ones....just not sure I am going there right now...seems to be running pretty well without it... I drove up there 3 hrs, and every hour after that I was making a run...no cool down, other than having the hood open. Jake was running his trunk cooler....lol.... I think I am running pretty good right now.... thanks for the heads up Les...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 PM

Hey Doc, first I've got to tell you, I'm so happy for your success and if you'd done more passes from a dig .... AERO BLUE RULES! My car runs the same times in the 1/4 mile with and without the spray. The real difference is from 5 to 20 minutes at WOT. Most won't ever push like I do but thats where the meth shines. Apparently the controller is the weakest link. My installer, Abdiel, has seen this controller fail a couple of times. It's interesting, he did the initial instal, wasn't happy with how it was working and changed it (freebee) when he installed the headers. He mentioned some discomfort with the system originally with no details. Now that my controller has gone bonkers ... obvious why he was nervous. He wants to "dumb it down" and make it fail safe. No resistance here.

Les