Racing The place to talk about autocrossing, road and drag racing.

Crossfire DS Class and SLK 320 BS Class

Old 06-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire DS Class and SLK 320 BS Class

Here's the communication I've has with the folks at SCCA regarding the Crossfire, with it's Stickier tires, Less weight and more rigid chassis, being classed as D, while the SLK 320 is classed BS. The BS cars have to beat our times by almost 2 seconds to negate our handicap (PAX)... A major advantage for us!!! Now I won't feel guilty.

Hi, Wes,

There are enough differences between the two cars that the Stock Advisory Committee recommends DS for the Crossfire and BS for the SLK. I believe this has been re-examined recently. If you would like< I'll be glad to send your letter to the Solo Events Board and SAC to consider. However, the SAC re-affirmed it's classing recommendation as it appears in the SCCA National Solo Rules.

Hope thie helps

- Doug

Doug Gill
SCCA Solo Technical Manager
1-800-770-2055
dgill@scca.com or
solotech@scca.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 2:33 PM
To: Doug Gill
Subject: FW: Mercedes SLK and Chrysler Crossfire different classes???

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:38:59 -0400
To: <webmaster@scca.com>
Subject: Mercedes SLK and Chrysler Crossfire different classes???

Hello,

I have a question about classes. I have a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire that I've been Autocrossing (SoloII) and it is Classified as DS by SCCA. I noticed that the Mercedes SLK is in BS... They are the same car with a different body. The SLK 320 and my Crossfire have the same 3.2 liter V6 same transmissions (either 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto-stick) even the brakes are identical. Why the different classes? I don't mind being PAXed as DS but I have to admit that I don't think I'm in the right class. I like to win, but I like being fair even more.

Thanks,

Wes Michaels
Virginia Beach, Va.

------ End of Forwarded Message

Old 06-09-2004, 09:24 PM

Good, I don't have to get new letters...and I can keep my DS friends. I wonder where the SRT6 will be. AS ?

Old 06-10-2004, 05:56 AM

Who knows??? The SLK 32 AMG is in AS. But the SLK 320 is BS and we are DS so if they (SCCA) uses the same logic the SRT 6 might be in CS. :? Here's a link to the SCCA classification list. http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockm.html

Old 06-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Forum Regular

I am lost....

My understanding is that our suspension is tuned for Americans, the gearing ratio is different and all the rest is the same (minus the exterior body panels). Our car weighs a couple of hundred pounds less too!

Where is their logic? Aren't most of the DS class 4 cylinder cars?

-marc

Old 06-15-2004, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by drunkiq
I am lost....

My understanding is that our suspension is tuned for Americans, the gearing ratio is different and all the rest is the same (minus the exterior body panels). Our car weighs a couple of hundred pounds less too!

Where is their logic? Aren't most of the DS class 4 cylinder cars?

-marc
That's my point. And yes most DS cars are 4 cylinder cars.... SRT 4 and WRX are really the only cars in the class that can come close to running with the Crossfire. But that's where they say they want to class us so I'll take the PAX (Handicap) and smile all the way to pick up my trophies.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:49 AM

SCCA may change their mind if the crossfire dominates the class. But with such few numbers running...I don't think we will (of course, I am not helping out the cause by killing all those cones). I just got the latest FASTRACK and in it, the competition committee decided not to recommend whatever was recommended for the xfire with regard to classes. It must be what you eluded to in this thread.

Old 06-17-2004, 08:56 AM

Probably... They said they had done a reevaluation of the Crossfire. It's only been the last 3 events that I've gotten super confident with the car and have made every run with the traction control off and really letting it hang out. My times are drastically quicker now. I still think that within a year they will change our class. But if they don't that's even better. I have a room in my house that I call "Man Land" I have plenty of soace in "Man Land" for more trophies.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:11 PM

WMichaels,
I've been reading the scca rules again.
We know that Stock Crossfire is DS.
Beyond stock looks like SM2 (street modified, 2 seater), maybe not DSP (D street prepared). or maybe both...depending on the types of mods.

let's suppose:
slotted rotors
chipped ecu
lowering springs
diff size wheels

What do you think of my interpretation?

Old 07-16-2004, 07:34 AM

Landho, Sorry I haven't replied before now. I just got back last night from a trip overseas.

My regional Compition Director told me that With just the ECU remap and the K&N filters that he wants me in DSX (Street Tire) because I haven't done any suspension or exhaust mods. When I mod the suspension then I will be DSP.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:04 AM

WMichaels,
Figure out a way to install harness belts? I thought about just putting a bolt into the bulkhead behind the seats, but how do I get to the inside of the bulkhead so that I can install a washer and nut? Any ideas?

Also, have you considered putting on the KONI shocks?

Just for fun, I am running my PT cruiser this weekend in an autoX. I had to change back to oem wheels, remove the strut bar and cold air intake to be in HS class. 1 hr of work. Easier that way (and cheaper) than trying to compete in the STS class. Bought Falken Azenis Sport tires for the OEM wheels. Told wife that I would have to buy tires for the STS class anyways. [She went to get the couch ready for me] :lol:

Old 07-22-2004, 11:47 AM

For the seatbelts.... I think it's kind oh hopeless trying to install a 4 or 5 point harness with the stock seat and I don't want to change the seat. So that kind of kills that idea, for me.

As for going with Koni shocks... If I canged the shocks I would do the spring too and looking at the videos of my runs I think the car is very stable stock. The real down side if you change your shocks is that you will have to run in a "Prepared" class.

I sure hope they come out with some 255 19" Azenis tires sometime soon. I would like to run them on the Crossfire. I'm surprised that I don't see anyone running any P/Ts here. They are running just about everything else.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by WMichaels
...The real down side if you change your shocks is that you will have to run in a "Prepared" class...
changing shocks is OK in DS. Changing springs will put you into prepared (DSP) or STS2 or SM2

Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 AM

Unless you install adjustable shocks.... At least that's what our compitition director has told me. But so far I'm pretty happy with the stock shocks. My priority is to get DOT R compound tires.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM

R compound avail in Michelin Pilot SPORT CUP in size 265-30-19 for the rear. so far, they're the only one with rear tire close enough for us to use. Tirerack says these 80 rated tires are strong enough to drive to the track. They don't recommend hoosiers or kuhmo for highway use. And since we can't figure out a way for a hitch, that only leaves trailering the xfire to an event...which gets to be expensive (buying a trailer). Fear not, the new vette will have 19" in the rear. so the tire makers WILL have to come up with new 19 inchers. although the new C6 will have much wider tires.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM

I'm not planning on using my autox tires on the street anyway. I want to get a set of extra wheels and mount the R compound tires on the and I'll load them either on my buddy's trailer or if I go someplace that he's not going I'll load them in my Explorer and have my Bride take them for me. She usually drives the Explorer to the events anyway so that after I run she can leave while I work the course.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:46 AM

Wes,
I talked to Michelin Sport Cup guys...
265-35-18 or 265-30-19.
They say, since the contact patch is almost the same, the change in sidewall height may yield 1-2% improvement. In his opinion, not enough to justify the huge diff in price ($60+ more).
Also, if you went to 18" rears, then Kuhmo is available in 265-35-18.
so I went with 18" rears.

Since I don't have a lovely spouse that comes to every event, I bought a featherlite trailer...now I am really poor :cry: ... no more mods for awhile.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:08 AM

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't changing the wheel size from stock put you in prepared class? That's why I'm trying to stay with the stock size wheels. I'm really hoping that Hoosier will come out with a 19" tire. I'm pretty confident they will when the C6 Vette hits the streets and the autocross tracks. The Vette tires are wider but I think once they start making 19" tires they will make a good variety of sizes.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:51 PM

DSP or SM2

But I'm using stock tires for autoX and staying in street tire class. Didn't know if you were doing R compound for track or autoX.

IMO, I still think chipped Xfires is not stock class anymore.

Another IMO, I don't think we'll ever see top national contenders in Crossfires. The R tires are too expensive.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:05 PM

I agree with you about a chipped car not being stock. But the SCCA doesn't think it gives you that much of an advantage. But they do get all wrapped around the axle when you change wheel sizes or suspension parts. Even R Compound tires are okay in stock classes as long as they are DOT approved..... Go figure.

There's only 1 DS car that can and does beat me and of all things it's a WRX Subaru with R Compound DOT approved tires. I beat all the other WRXs by at least 2 seconds. But this guy with the R Compound tires beats me by about 1 second. I'm sure if I had those tires I would own the class. .... Oh well... One of these days they will have some for the 19s... I hope!

Old 08-04-2004, 04:49 PM

that's because they can't see the chipping...but EVERYONE can see the shocks, brakes, tires, wheels...

buy jacman's rims.
get another $1268 :shock: :shock: and call tire rack for heat treated michelin pilot sport cup. 225-40-18 and 265-30-19 :shock: :shock: and go beat the WRX :!: