Parts/Accessories for sale - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles

Just got my FedEx customs bill for 22.70. I now know why Dave is so grouchy... If I had to pay duty on everything being shipped to me, I'd be pissed off all the time. It was stated you would have to pay any import duties that might be due. Going out and take a photo of ole blue...too damned cold to pull her out of the garage so, will have to deal with looking at my messy garage....I will post a photo soon....

Attached photos. The camera does not pick up the wire in the grilles, therefore it make everything in the background stand out. That isn't the way they really look. They look great. I still have to attach the SRT6 emblem and paint my hose clamps black. Too cold today. The other photo is for Anthony (Grip Grip) to look at. He's looking for a one of these as a DD.

I take that back...My Iphone camera sucks at taking photos of the grilles...they look nothing like that....may have to break out another camera... Anyway, just keep clicking until you get the real close up and that is what they look like.

Attached Thumbnails Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles-grille-x90-005.jpg   Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles-grille-x90-002.jpg   Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles-grille-x90-004.jpg  

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-30-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Does seem odd that everyone is betting dunned for a different amount, did you buy two grilles ?

Duty fee OK but to have it more than doubled by FedX for their handling it is a bother.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM

OH, I agree with that....I wasn't happy about it, but figured it would catch up sooner or later. And yes, I bought 2 grilles shipped together.

The before and after

Attached Thumbnails Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles-grille-x90-001.jpg  

Last edited by oledoc2u; 12-30-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
The other photo is for Anthony (Grip Grip) to look at. He's looking for a one of these as a DD.

The little alien car is growing on me.

I'm really liking the grille and inserts too. I can't believe I just wrote that, but I actually think it looks sharp and low-key.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Thanks for fixing my photos... Not to get off topic, but the X-90 project will get a rear end like the wavetrac...more of a locker though. It will get a new suspension in the future from calmini. Partially camo'd and rack for the trunk lid.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's a suggestion for "blacking out" things behind the wire mesh grille . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Caring-Cohesive-Bandage-BLACK-2in-x-5yds-Self-Adherent-Sports-Tape-/131071805140?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7Nc2oKV8DfPFcWHsZeeYrqVlK3M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I used this to wrap the hose clamps on the DCAI filters and also to wrap the center support piece to black it out. Much easier than painting things . . . inexpensive . . . reversible!

Last edited by RED DOG; 12-31-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles

I'm trying to determine the type of paint on the black mesh grills. Only the term 'polymer' was used which is considered to be a sealant.

Can anyone give me a better description? I've determined that the black mesh on my black XF is perhaps a bit too subtle, plus, I've never been a fan of the silver windshield surround/bezel.

Also, am I safe in assuming that the clear on the XF's is chemical, not water based, so that a single stage paint can be applied over it without any concerns?

I'm hoping to pick up a pint of paint tomorrow which hopefully will be compatible on both.

If it turns out as hoped, I'll include a photo. If not, back to the drawing board / paint supplier.

Biba

Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BibaResto
I'm trying to determine the type of paint on the black mesh grills. Only the term 'polymer' was used which is considered to be a sealant.

Can anyone give me a better description? I've determined that the black mesh on my black XF is perhaps a bit too subtle, plus, I've never been a fan of the silver windshield surround/bezel.

Also, am I safe in assuming that the clear on the XF's is chemical, not water based, so that a single stage paint can be applied over it without any concerns?

I'm hoping to pick up a pint of paint tomorrow which hopefully will be compatible on both.

If it turns out as hoped, I'll include a photo. If not, back to the drawing board / paint supplier.

Biba
I looked on the Zunsport website and it really only describes the coating as "polymer". You can find the information about the black grilles on this page . . .Car Grilles.

If you send an e-mail to sales@Zunsport.com, Peter will be fast to respond and answer your questions about painting over your black polymer grilles. My thought is that you might be best selling your black grille set and buying a replacement set that is "unfinished" and ready to paint (like OleDoc2U) did. Anyway, I hope everything turns out the way you want . . . Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 PM

They really should be powder coated. If I ever find a good powder coater who can match my blue, I will get it done. Black is no problem for them. Just find a powder coating firm near you. The paint I used is water based, and will chip if hit hard, so it is a constant thing to keep them looking good. I like them, and like the look. Zunsport did a good job.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They really should be powder coated. If I ever find a good powder coater who can match my blue, I will get it done. Black is no problem for them. Just find a powder coating firm near you. The paint I used is water based, and will chip if hit hard, so it is a constant thing to keep them looking good. I like them, and like the look. Zunsport did a good job.
They have literally thousands of color possibilities, only place I would use...

Pro Kote Indy

Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 AM

I advised Peter at Zunsport that the only tarnish on our entire project was that our USA buyers were hit with a delayed billing from FedEx for an import fee and a related administrative fee. He was not aware that would happen, he was concerned and he is looking into it.

In my personal experience, I have never been aware of having to pay an import duty on any products I have purchased throughout the world that were shipped to me here in the USA. I'll let everyone know when I hear back from Zunsport.

Also these stainless steel wire mesh grilles are currently available for purchase by forum members through me at $270.00 for the 3 pc set or $200 for the upper grille only. That includes delivery to your door anywhere in the CONUS. Please contact me if you want to order . . . RedDogNumber1@aol.com . . .

Name:  dcp_4613_zps4ab62a22.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  103.2 KB

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-15-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I advised Peter at Zunsport that the only tarnish on our entire project was that our USA buyers were hit with a delayed billing from FedEx for an import fee and a related administrative fee. He was not aware that would happen, he was concerned and he is looking into it.

In my personal experience, I have never been aware of having to pay an import duty on any products I have purchased throughout the world that were shipped to me here in the USA. I'll let everyone know when I hear back from Zunsport.

Also these stainless steel wire mesh grilles are currently available for purchase at $300.00 for the 3 pc set or $225 for the upper grille only. That includes delivery to your door anywhere in the CONUS. Contact me if you want to order . . . RedDogNumber1@aol.com . . .
In Canada we get this fee and often more cost on top of that.
The initial fee is what they (FedEx/UPS) call a brokerage fee, they also collect a sales tax, and a fee they call an administrative fee, I think that is what it's called. These fees can really rack up the cost and make it pointless to buy anything from outside the country.

If we have something shipped by mail then we may only have to pay a sales tax and a fixed administrative fee, sometimes no tax/fee at all when the article cost is below some figure - maybe $100.
Consequently I try and avoid the couriers.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
They have literally thousands of color possibilities, only place I would use...

Pro Kote Indy
Thanks John...I will give them a call.... I would much rather have them powder coated. I can see after painting the stainless steel, they won't hold very long. I should have prepped them more.
Are they over by Zionsville? I think I know who these are if they are. Just off 421 Michigan Road?

Last edited by oledoc2u; 01-11-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

One process worth mentioning is treating stainless steel with IVD - ion vapour deposition - to give an aluminium coating. You can then anodise it in the same way as aluminium. This process has basically replaced cad plating of SS and can be applied in greater thicknesses (up to several mils thick), which would surely help the thin mesh of these grilles. IVD also provides galvanic protection for these alloys allowing dissimilar metal usage. Only downside would probably be cost of application.

Quote from Dow Automotive:
Topcoats, such as paints, sealants and lubricants improve the performance of the underlying basecoat. For example, topcoats are used to improve corrosion resistance, improve erosion resistance, or change the coefficient of friction of a finish system. The application and successful performance of any topcoat is dependent on basecoat qualities such as coverage, uniformity, and adhesion. IVD aluminum is characterized by excellent adhesion, coverage and uniformity. Evaluation of the penetration of an epoxy primer into the columnar structure of an IVD aluminum sample by scanning electron microscopy indicated a skeleton of primer penetrating into the structure. This feature considerably enhances topcoat adhesion. Both IVD aluminum and cadmium are soft coatings that are not particularly well suited for erosion resistance when used alone. IVD aluminum outperforms vacuum-applied cadmium in resisting abrasive forces and diffused nickel-cadmium when subjected to an erosion/corrosion environment. Economically, IVD aluminum can be applied thicker than cadmium and, therefore, is more abrasion resistant than cadmium. Also IVD aluminum is well suited to accepting topcoats of abrasion-resistant materials.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by syfi
One process worth mentioning is treating stainless steel with IVD - ion vapour deposition - to give an aluminium coating. You can then anodise it in the same way as aluminium. This process has basically replaced cad plating of SS and can be applied in greater thicknesses (up to several mils thick), which would surely help the thin mesh of these grilles. IVD also provides galvanic protection for these alloys allowing dissimilar metal usage. Only downside would probably be cost of application.

Quote from Dow Automotive:

The company where my wife works has a plating dept. I understand what they are saying. In the case of the grilles, they are very well done as far as the welds and forming. I just didn't spend enough time cleaning or prepping the metal for paint. When you weld or tack things together you should clean those areas or at least scuff them to get some adherence. I didn't take the time to do that. I will pay for that in the end. But touching them up is not a big deal either. They may cure just fine and harden. I think if the powder coater isn't too expensive, I might get them done. If not, the paint isn't all that expensive, and I can just touch them up when needed. It is what it is. Not a big deal. I am sure zunsport has a method for cleaning and prep, and the use of polymers for adherence is a good idea. But I wasn't sure what colors I would use on both cars, so I got them raw so to speak.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RedDog and others, What spray product and method will you be using to keep the polished grilles looking factory fresh? And to preserve from that salty environment you live in? I have similar salty air here on the left coast. Other than using an air hose after washing, those holes are too small to clean individually; at least for me.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:39 PM

I painted and clear coated mine. But a wash mitt will be fine to keep them clean.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dinasrt
RedDog and others, What spray product and method will you be using to keep the polished grilles looking factory fresh? And to preserve from that salty environment you live in? I have similar salty air here on the left coast. Other than using an air hose after washing, those holes are too small to clean individually; at least for me.
Just wash along with the rest of your car. I use a mild car wash soap (Turtle Wax Zip Wax) with a boars hair car wash brush (http://www.autogeek.net/boar-hair-br...Fahj7AodomQAPg) / Rinse / Dry with my car wash towels. That electro polished stainless steel is pretty much impervious to the elements . . .

Last edited by RED DOG; 01-12-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks John...I will give them a call.... I would much rather have them powder coated. I can see after painting the stainless steel, they won't hold very long. I should have prepped them more.
Are they over by Zionsville? I think I know who these are if they are. Just off 421 Michigan Road?
Those are the guys, and I can't think it would be any more than maybe $50? They were very fair on price, 19" wheels for about $100, including blast and prep

Old 01-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for responses. I thought perhaps a spray on protectant was necessary. But just need to keep it clean then.

Quick Reply: Group buy / crossfire custom stainless steel wire mesh grilles